Philadelphia Phillies Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by DawkinsINT, Oct 16, 2022.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I can't believe I never started this during the regular season even though I almost did a couple of times. Unreal that they are going to the NLCS. They were lucky to even get in the playoffs thanks to the Brewers being awful down the stretch.

2 absolute all time Phillies plays came in the Braves series. Hoskins in Game 3 spiking his bat after the 3 run blast and yesterday Realmuto's inside-the-park HR. I didn't really think the Phils would beat either the Cards or the Braves but here we are.

The pitching rotation is now set back to normal where Wheeler and Nola should get 2 starts each against the Padres. The 2 teams are pretty evenly matched except the Phils should have a bit of an advantage with those two pitching the way they are.

This has been a fun ride so far!

TJ likes this.
  2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Can't root for your Phillies yet, Dawk. My dad is a big Padres fan and I feel obligated to support him. It's amazing that the 5 and 6 seeds made it to the Championship series. I don't think that's ever happened in the NFL!!

Good luck to you...but go, Padres!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

So I have to say two words that I never expected to say in my life but 2022 is a weird year to live in:

Go, Yankees.

So I hope for either a '98 or '09 re-match...

Phillies took game 1 on great pitching...just 1 hit. Two bombs is all it took for the to win.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  4. DawkinsINT

Wheeler was masterful yesterday. Hopefully Nola can do the same this afternoon.

IF the Phils actually make it to the World Series, I would be cool with either opponent. I hate the Yankees which would make them fun to beat, though more painful to lose to.

Should Phils play Astros it would be so much fun since my brother is a fan of them.

Still too early to think that way but amazing that it’s a fairly close possibility for this Phils team that was swept by the Cubs a few weeks ago.

TJ likes this.
  5. DawkinsINT

The Phils blowing that 4 run lead yesterday really feels like it may have swung this series towards the Padres even though it's only 1-1. A 2-0 sweep in SD really would have put a stranglehold on the series. I was so disappointed in Nola. The starting pitching matchups favors San Diego now. Hopefully we can be as dominant at home as we were against the Braves.

TJ likes this.
  6. DawkinsINT

What a great start by Ranger last night. After his awful start against the Braves I didn't have much confidence in him. The bats did a really good job against the previously playoff dominant Musgrove.

Tonight it's the inconsistent Bailey Falter against Clevinger for the Padres. The winner tonight will be in a pretty good position to win the series with the Padres still having two home games left.

After the Phillies awful September I can't believe how exciting they have been in the playoffs. This has been a fun ride!

TJ likes this.
  7. DawkinsINT

What a great comeback by the Phillies twice last night. Hard to believe this team is one win away from going to the World Series. Bryce Harper has been an absolute monster in the playoffs. Hopefully Wheeler can finish off the Padres today so we don't need to go back to SD.

TJ likes this.
  8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Ok, I'm a Phillies fan for a week or so. Anyone but the Astros. Give'em h*ell, guys!!

Congrats, Dawk!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  9. DawkinsINT

Harper is amazing. I still can't believe he hit that game winner last night.

Welcome aboard, TJ! :)

TJ likes this.
  10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Bryce Harper is the baseball Jesus.

Game 1 went great!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. DawkinsINT

A split in Houston is not a bad way to start the series though it's disappointing that the Astros have done well against both Nola & Wheeler. Hopefully we can take 2 out of 3 in Philly.

TJ likes this.
  12. DawkinsINT

The home run barrage last night was unbelievable. Harper just continues to be amazing this postseason. With the news that Wheeler has arm fatigue, it becomes so important that Nola comes through with a good start tonight. Hopefully the offense can keep rolling at home. I don't want to go back to Houston.

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I love to see it...great job, Phillies...don't let up!! Beat those cheaters!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I read a few tweets and articles about McCullers tipping his pitches last night.

Delicious irony. The Astros lost because the opposing hitters knew what was coming. Maybe karma does exist!!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  15. DawkinsINT

Being no hit in the World Series is pretty embarrassing but it still only counts as one win. Phils are in big trouble with the pitching matchups going forward. Hopefully Verlander continues his horrid WS history tonight.

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

This is the chaotic nature of baseball that I enjoy so much. You can win 7-0 with 5 homers one day, then get no-hit the next. Frustrating yet exciting...

Tonight will be different.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  17. DawkinsINT

Such a frustrating game. The Phillies had so many chances to have big innings but couldn't come through with a clutch hit. The difference in last night's game was Houston is a great contact team and the Phillies are not. I hope Wheeler's arm will be ok on Saturday for a chance to take it to 7 games.

18. DawkinsINT

I think Thomson made a horrible decision in pulling Wheeler last night when he did. Only 70 pitches and he was still throwing in the high 90's. That being said, the Astros were the better team. This playoff run was an unexpected surprise. It sucks that it ended but it was fun.

TJ likes this.
  19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Can't wait for the The Athletic report in 2025 on how they cheated this time.

Great season, Dawk. Make sure you guys make it back because my Mariners are eeady to make a run next year :D

DawkinsINT likes this.
  20. DawkinsINT

Phillies have signed Trea Turner to 11 years $300 million. Awesome that they not only have a SS who can hit, but he's a much needed top of the lineup guy. He'll be 40 by the end of the contract but his salary probably won't mean much at that point. I'm so happy they got this done. I got nervous when I heard he met with the Padres a second time.