Problem With MyBook Drive...Help?

Discussion in 'GridironFans Support' started by 86WARD, Apr 4, 2008.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

I've had an Essential Edition 500GB MyBook Drive for about a year. Today an alert came on my computer that I have new hardware via my USB Port. I didn't understand what it could be. However, when I click on the shortcut to get to the MyBook, it's not recognizing it. It is giving me an error that says: THE DRIVER OR NETWORK CONNECTION IS UNAVAILABLE.

I unplugged the MyBook from the USB and plugged it back in and now it wants me to use an installation disc...however, this is a "Plug N Play" set up with these MyBooks. Now when I turn it off, the little USB light doesn't go off as it used to...

ANyone have any clue what's going on here??

2. BengalStripes

BengalStripes Did you get that Al?

Have you tried switching USB ports?

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yeah, that's happened to me with other devices. USB ports sometimes just get toasted.

Try switching ports.

4. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

It just hates you. :think:

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I did switch USB Ports, but that didn't do it. I put my digital camera in the same port that the hard drive was in and the camera was fine.

What happened was, I had the Drive plugged in to a surge protector and unplugged it from there, plugged it directly in to the wall outlet and it started to work again.

I was told what happens sometimes is that if these things lose any sort of power - even the littlest amount, the computer/usb port may not recognize it even though the power is connected and it is turned on. It doesn't have enough strength to "talk" to the computer...

Crisis averted...for now...

Sometimes I think my whole house hates me...

6. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I got a simular problem, so I post it here

I lately plugged my memory stick in my desktop, but it says that he can't recocnize the USB drive and that the stick is broken. I restart the PC and still got the same issues. I tryed different plugs, different sticks w/o success. Other USB hardware, such as scanner and printer are working.
    When I connected the stick to my laptop, it works w/o any problems.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Could it be formatted to the Desktop only? Can you try to reformat the Stick?

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Just realized my scanner didn't work too. It's connected via USB too.