Raiders Coach Tom Cable Still Upset By Overturned TD

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by Stinger75, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Stinger75

Stinger75 It's Showtime, Folks!

On Tuesday, Raiders coach Tom Cable didn’t change his stance from 17 hours earlier, when the officials overturned a touchdown by wide receiver Louis Murphy on a play late in the second quarter of the regular-season opener against the San Diego Chargers on Monday night. The ruling cost the Raiders four points, as they were forced to settle for a field goal. It might have cost the game, as well, given they lost 24-20. “Perhaps it is a rule that needs to be looked at,†Cable said. “If you had that play happen 20 times this season, 19 of them would be touchdowns. If you go to the replay booth, it’s supposed to be absolute evidence that it needs to be overturned. When you spend that much time in the booth, obviously, it wasn’t that obvious. “I’m amazed there is a rule like that in the end zone in terms of full possession when guys are going over the top of the pylon and holding the ball over the pylon, it comes out when they come down and it is still a touchdown. There’s probably some work that needs to be done on that, but it is what it is, and we can’t dwell on that. We can’t make it any more than it is whether we agree with it or not.â€

Source: Raider Beat

2. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

It didn't cost the Raiders the game. They had other opportunities to both score, and stop the Chargers. The Raiders went up by 3 very late in the game, and let San Diego drive all the way down the field for not a game tying FG, but a game winning TD. This happened in large part because the Raiders played prevent D on the final drive, instead of doing what they did all game. That was nothing but a coaching error. Cable can make excuses all he wants but according to the rule it was the right call in the endzone. I feel for Raiders fans because that is a real tough loss, but when it comes down to it, the prevent D cost the Raiders that game.

3. Lucien2

Lucien2 The King

I understand your explanation, still doesn't negate the fact that the officials made a terrible call. I do agree with you in the fact that defensive decisions that were made on SD's final drive were poor, they did beat us.....until next time!

4. raidwoman

raidwoman Starter

I agree that the TD overturned was not why we lost but it hurt us. I have always hated prevent defense why on earth would we change the way we were defending the whole game as man to man is beyond me.
    I feel there is hope for us though thanks to Seymour giving our defense the boost morale they needed. I don't like JaMarcBUTT Russell I think he is an idiot
    I would prefer 2nd string Gradkowski to play but thats my opinion.
    Go RAIDERS, and we will kick Kansas City!!!!!
    That REf had some gaul telling RAider Nation he overturned that TD!!!

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

The way I view it is it's like when a player makes a catch on the sidelines if he's falling down he has to keep possession the entire way down, even if it's in the endzone. Only difference was it wasn't a sideline play.

But even with the TD, who knows how the game would of played out, maybe the Raiders stay conservative try to maintain a tie game and don't go deep to score that final touchdown and instead end up losing 20-17 or something like that. There's no way of knowing how the game would of played out if they got that TD.

But it's a tough way to lose a game, but I was impressed with the Raiders Lines. They look like they'll be competing for 2nd in the West.