Raiders LB Thomas Howard Not Sulking After Demotion

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by SRW, Sep 9, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Thomas Howard had a choice: Play the aggrieved scapegoat as a former starter and sulk his way out of town, or reinvent himself as an enthusiastic member of the supporting cast and he seems to have chosen the latter. Howard will be playing on all four Raiders special teams and only in specific defensive packages Sunday when the Raiders visit the Tennessee Titans at LP Field after he started 62 of 64 games at linebacker over the past four seasons. Howard's presence is evidence he is doing it willingly because had he taken any other tack, chances are his Raiders career would have ended with a trade or release. He spent much of training camp dodging questions about his role, when it was clear his days as a starter were over, lost a potentially lucrative chance to be a free agent, then lost his starting job while also losing one of his closest teammates in Kirk Morrison, who was dealt to Jacksonville after the Raiders drafted Rolando McClain Special teams coordinator John Fassel said he singled out Howard during a meeting as a positive example. "I said, 'You could consider your predicament a demotion or an opportunity,' and his effort and willingness to play on special teams and his performance has been outstanding," Fassel said. "Some people would take it as, 'I used to be a starter and now I'm on special teams.' But his attitude's been great about it."

Source: Oakland Tribune