Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia 6'1 198

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by misfitz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Pros:
    Probably the most physical corner in the draft. Can land the big hit that most corners cannot. Great in run support. Above average in zone and good in man. Good play recognition doesn't bite on play fakes and recognizes the run. Sure tackler. Still a lot of upside. Running that 4.4 40 yard dash got rid of any slow rumors and rumors of him moving to S. On field Leader.

Cons:
    Durability issues. Needs to polish his technique. Takes to many gambles. Doesn't always go for the pick and is content with batting the ball away(this can be a positive or a negative depending on the coach.)

There's really not a lot of holes in his game a knee injury and ankle injury kept him from showcasing his talents this year. Hes got great production in college. Entered the year as one of the highest rated corners and had he came out last year would have been a first round pick. He opted to stay in college to graduate and because of his teammates. Injury concerns will be the only thing that have caused him to drop.

NFL Comparison
    Nate Clements

[​IMG]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUDcKqcHuK8]YouTube - Ras-I Dowling vs. North Carolina ('09)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VCHpKga3kk&feature=related"]YouTube - Ras-I Dowling #19 Highlights[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

if it wasn't for injury issues he would be taken in 1st rd. this kid is going to be really good. imo #2 cb in draft but let's not get offended it's just my opinion. btw i got peterson #1 and harris #3. just wanted to share my opinion.

3. misfitz

i agree this kid is going to be very good its hard to find flaws in his game

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i like him as a rangy FS with good closing speed (way better than i thought) i think thats ultimately where he will end up after maybe starting out at CB ala Antrel Rolle and Malcolm Jenkins

My CBs are

King Peterson
    Prince
    Harris
    Aaron Williams
    Jimmy Smith
    Rasi
    Curtis Brown
    Burton
    House
    Patrick
    Chykie Brown
    Chimdi Chekwa

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I would agree with you, however I think we may draft him as a CB

Ryan seems to favor physical CB, and I can see him being a fan of Dowling there

9 out of 10 teams I would say FS

6. K Train

as the draft gets closer and i look at him more i like him as a CB for the steelers....his junior tape is really impressive and i think the speed thing this offseason really shut alot of people up including me

7. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

I would die of happiness if the Texans drafted him in the 2nd, but all that means is they will have a shot at him and pbutt.
    At least Kareem Jackson is supposed to be better, if you listen to the media, lol he has to be the worst CB in NFL history. You can't get better when your just not a football player.

8. K Train

that might be a reach...i think jackson will do well, its a little early to pull the plug on him. he wasnt really a guy id want starting from day one to begin with...it wasnt the best situation for him. he and patrick robinson were very raw first round corners

9. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

I know we're supposed to hope for the best, but when it comes to kareem jackson I don't understand WHY people thinks he will get better.
    Was it really his role at Alabama as the #2 cb behind arenas, where his team made him look better than he was? Or has some1 seen something I haven't in his rookie year in the NFL?

....and then to make it all better we'll make our best cb (Glover Quinn) a FS. Why not try Kareem @ S cuz we know he's not a cb.

10. Make no mistake Jackson was the #1 CB at Alabama.

Kareem just needs more of a chance. He can be a great CB alot of the problem was he never had any safety help.

My notes on Jackson last year:

round: 2nd

doesn't make a whole lot of plays. He seems to lack ball skills. He needs to make more plays on the ball. He doesn't jump up and go for the ball with a wr.

experience is a big plus. He has 3 years worth of sec starting experience.

I like his ability to stay on guys. He plays pretty tight and doesn't give guys a big cushion.

Already knows how to press wr's at the line which is good.

pretty good in run support. However, sometimes he won't come up and make the play when necessary and struggles to break off from bigger wr's. He plays with great nastiness.

11. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

Looks like some really accurate notes. But those negatives you listed are 10x worse now and the positives are non-existant because he's in the NFL now. His cushions are as big any1's, he rarely keeps up with any WR much less make a play, and his press coverage that worked in college has made him look rediculous in the NFL.

So according to your notes we saw the same thing, but you still valued him as a future cb in the NFL. My guess is that you wouldn't give up on any player after 1 year and that works sometimes, i'm sure thats how the Texans feel after investing a 1st. But thats why if u miss on a 1st rounder it will hurt u for 3 to 4 years b/c the team refuses to give up on him.

12. how many rookies have had terrible years and gone on to greatness?

13. K Train

he was clearly the #1 CB at bama....not even a close one there. Hes a good corner, i know guys like mcourtey makes you say wtf why isnt kareem that good? but he will be, hes a good football player cant put it all on him with the texans having a piss poor defense overall....cushing and mario dont suck even though the overall defense is pathetic. he was a rookie on a bad defense, they need to put it all together and for christ sake get a pass rush

14. K Train

back on topic though, ras-i is rising and i think he might work himself into the first round, if not definitely top half of the second....i think id be fine with him at 31 to the steelers

15. misfitz

ive loved this guy since last year hes my third rated corner(would have been 4th but jimmy smith character concerns puts dowling ahead of him)

16. K Train

i had him pegged as a first rounder last year....still wasnt sure about his speed but his time was impressive. hes gonna be a coveted pick if he makes it to round 2 on the second day

17. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

Yeah the Texans has been extremely bad at scouting DT's, but the other teams receivers are open at "hike". The Safetys took all of the blame, Eugene Wilson & Bernard Pollard won't be brought back.
    Wilson was an average player, he helped & hurt us at times
    Pollard is a Football player, that hurt us a lot in coverage but helped the run.
    Imo the Safetys were not that bad, Kareem Jackson slipped & fell on every other play. Sherick McManus showed much more in his rookie season, until Kareem shows me anything I will blame him and Frank Bush (and his momma) for the Texans not getting to the Playoffs last year.:icon_evil:

18. K Train

in their defense okoye was scouted by everyone as being amazing....unfortunately for him the being only 19 hurt him because he was playing a mans position on the dline and was getting raped by 25-30 year old offensive lineman and that did hurt his development alot.

i think jackson will be a good player, they do need another corner though, but it would be a mistake to think of it as a replacement for jackson...they do also have a glaring hole at S but i would expect another rough year from the whole defense being they switched to a 34 but dont really have all the pieces unless somehow they pull a GB and nab an true NT and OLB in the same draft.

ras-i would actually fit in well in houston, too bad though because hes probably gonna be a steeler :-)

19. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

Texans need to trade back if Bowers doesn't fall to them, & pick up phil taylor or Akeem Ayers in late 1st. Then get Ras-I in the 2nd b/c i'm sure Pitt. will get Brandon Harris or Jimmy Smith.(not Dowling no no no):icon_rolleyes:
    Sione Fua (stanford) is a Nose Tackle I would like in the later rounds, but out of all of them Ras-I would be the dream pick for me.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

Don't think the Steelers have interest in Smith...