Readskins Head Coach Jay Gruden Defends Keeping Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by 86WARD, Jan 19, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Jim Haslett was widely expected to be fired, but he's back for at least another season. The Washington Redskins announced Friday that Haslett will assume his duties as defensive coordinator. The defense struggled mightily under Haslett's direction the past four years. It never ranked higher than 21st in points per game over that time and featured one of the most porous secondaries in the NFL. But new 'Skins coach Jay Gruden defended his decision to stick with Haslett. "It was a lot of issues and schematically it wasn't the issue," Gruden said, via ESPN's John Keim. "It was special teams and depth issues. But to see them compete on a weekly basis. ... They played well. I know a lot of offensive coaches that have a lot of respect for what coach Haslett brings and how difficult it is to go against them. I'm one of those guys."

Source: NFL.com

2. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

:cry:I am sad BUT

The Redskins denied Haslett from an interview with the Jets and Rex Ryan who in my mind is one of the top defensive minds. There is a reason he wanted him in NY.

3. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru