Redskins QB Donovan McNabb's Agent Calls Benching "Beyond Disrespectful"

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by BigBlueBruiser, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Describing the Redskins' treatment of quarterback Donovan McNabb as "disrespectful," the perennial Pro Bowler's agent criticized the organization and Coach Mike Shanahan specifically Friday for his plan to bench McNabb in favor of backup Rex Grossman against the Dallas Cowboys. "Disrespectful is probably not strong enough of a word," Fletcher N. Smith, McNabb's representative, said in a lengthy phone interview Friday. "Donovan has handled himself with nothing but class, not just in Washington but as an ambassador for the league. To treat him this way ... it's beyond disrespectful." Shanahan and his son, Kyle, Washington's offensive coordinator, earlier this week made the stunning decision to start Grossman on Sunday at Cowboys Stadium, according to a person familiar with the situation. In Week 8, the Shanahans benched McNabb in favor of Grossman late in a loss to the Detroit Lions. The move stirred concern in the locker room because McNabb is widely respected among his teammates for his accomplishments during a successful 12-year career, the first 11 seasons of which he spent with the Eagles. The Shanahans were widely criticized in the NFL for their handling of the benching, and they continued to awkwardly attempt to explain their reasoning several days after the controversial move, causing further confusion in the locker room and frustration among the Redskins' fan base. "I almost don't even know where to begin, but it really started with Detroit and it was just wrong the way Donovan was treated," Smith said. "Just the way Mike handled the whole situation in Detroit, and in almost every instance since that time, and this is, I guess, the culmination of that. I think it's ... again, it's beyond disrespectful."

Source: Washington Post

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  2. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

redskins are trying to enter into the adrew luck sweepstakes. why try and win now? go for a good pick to try and trade with carolina. McNabb to Vikings? Or is shanahan trying to get back to denver? haha REX GROSSMEN?

3. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

Shanahan has lost his god damned mind, Washington in my mind has fully eclipsed Oakland as the most idiotic franchise in the league with Dan Snyder being the worst owner by a mile.

2 people like this.
  4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Two things...

1. If McNabb wasn't playing so dreadfully mediocre, Shanny would not be able to get away with this. 58% completion percentage, 14 TDs, 15 INTs. Crap, he can get that kind of performance from Rex Grossman for a hell of a lot cheaper!

2. With all of that said, I still think this decision is ridiculous. But we won't know till Monday.

5. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

Look I know McNabb isn't doing much but still this is Rex Grossman we replacing with seriously it's just flat out dumb

6. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

At least Rex won't underthrow a five yard out...

7. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

You're right, he'll over throw it and it'll get returned for six.

8. no way Grossman could put up those stats.

Also, something that isn't being considered.

Mcnabb has NO talent on offense save Chris Cooley (who those genius Shanahan boys have shamefully underused).

9. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

This. Mcnabb is beyond the years of carrying a team by himself. But seriously, Rex Grossman is possibly one of the worst QB's in football. All I can imagine is they want in on the Cam Newton/Andrew Luck sweepstakes. At this point, this is the worst run team in the NFL. I think that someone needs to get Dan Snyder on that intervention show.

10. An inside source said once that Shanahan is obsessed with getting another John Elway and he wants desperately to find him. (maybe he thinks Luck is).

11. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

If I was Dallas I would do everything in my power to try to throw this game.

12. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

He could double the INT's though

13. haha true.

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Ryan Torain?

Santana Moss, a guy who has averaged 70 catches and close to 1,000 yards the last 5-6 years?

Young emerging player in Anthony Armstrong?

Quit making excuses for his poor play. It's freaking annoying. He's got three talented skill position players and one on the cusp.

Philip Rivers is having a career year while having one legitimate weapon all season (and even then, Gates has been banged up all year).

Kyle Orton is throwing the ball to who? Brandond Lloyd?? Jabar Gaffney??

15. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Let's see how talented those "skill" players are with sexy rexy maning the ship. Bet Torains production is the only one that doesn't fall.

16. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I think it's kind of understandable what Shanny is doing. He already knows what McNabb has shown. There is no hope for the playoffs. Now he can put in Grossman to keep McNabb healthy for any offseason decision while also using Rex as kind of a measuring stick to see what big or little of a difference he makes with their offense. Then he also can get the kid some time on the field as well.

17. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Good point.

18. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

What offseason decision could their be now?

19. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

To keep him or not. Have him healthy for a trade.

20. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I don't see that as possible. How can you bench a QB you just signed to a big expensive extension And then think you can trade him. Even a team that really wanted him would be nuts to offer anything near what the skins would need to make up for the investment. I see them cutting him and him going free agent elsewhere.