Roger Goodell Says NFL Wants Jaguars In Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by Sweets, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell appeared in Jacksonville on Monday and pledged that the league is committed to staying in the city. But Goodell told local fans they need to buy more tickets to help ensure the Jaguars' future. "The NFL wants to be part of the future of this city," Goodell said in an address to business leaders, via the Florida Times-Union. The Jaguars had seven games blacked out last season because they failed to sell out. Team owner Wayne Weaver said the Jaguars, who have already sold more than 13,000 season tickets this season, said roughly 5,000 more need to be sold to help prevent blackouts this year. "If it's a one-year blip due to a perfect storm, then this is a great opportunity to demonstrate that," Goodell said of last year's blackouts in a negative economy. "We want the team to be successful and we want it to be here. We just want it to play in front of sold-out audiences." The Jaguars are often mentioned as a team that could be moved, potentially to Los Angeles if the NFL returns there, but Goodell's preference is for the Jaguars to remain in Florida.

Source: Florida Times-Union

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

lol....but does jacksonville want them there?

3. whatadai

whatadai Rookie

LA wants them there. Give me the Raiders damnit!

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

the article says the jags have only sold 13,000 season tickets? is that true?

hahahaha. if that's true, that's freaking hilarious. they would sell more season tickets if they moved the team to Fargo, North Dakota ......................

5. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Jacksonville's problem is that most people of the city are flat broke, add that onto the fact that it's basically three massive pieces of land disguised as a city and that it takes forever to get to the stadium, and that the team is disappointingly mediocre and you have the perfect storm for a flunk.

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

As John Madden once eloquently said, "If you put lip stick on a donkey, it's still a donkey." 13,000 season tickets? That's just awful. They could sell 30,000 season tickets in LA just because super stars want a place to be on sundays. Don't the fans in California already prove they'll put butts in the seats. The Jacksonville Super Bowl was a wreck as is that franchise.

7. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Doesn't that say: "We would like to stay here, but if you didn't get enough butts in the seats, we will be gone." ?

Doesn't sound like a real comittment to me

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. so guys what's the verdict

who should move first Buffalo or Jacksonville?

who will move first Buffalo or Jacksonville?

do you guys think the team should change their name if they go to L.A.

9. CaptainStubing

the buffalo fans are much more passionate about their team than jacksonville. jacksonville absolutely should lose their team first.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

i'm not sold on a team going to l.a. - that fanbase proven twice that they won't support an NFL team.

although no doubt they will sell more than 13k tix. seriously, that's pathetic.

11. CaptainStubing

i vote for the Fargo Jaguars .............. they could sell at least 14,000 season tickets ..................

12. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

Obviously I'd hate to see the team move from Jacksonville as that is who they are to me, but as its plain for everyone to see it's only a matter of time because the city of Jacksonville really doesn't seem to wanna go watch them play?

13. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

substitute Jacksonville with New Orleans and it is the same thing. There was lots of talk about the Saints moving. Then came the big storm and all was forgotten. The fact of the matter is..... put a winner on the field and they will come.

14. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Jags were putting playoff teams on the field and the city still didn't care about them. Tagliabue giving Jacksonville a franchise is one major reason why he isn't in the HOF yet.

15. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

that sucks. not many cities get a chance to have a professional football team.