Rollins Calls Phillies Fans Front Runners

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by ball in the baskett, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

source: philly.com

What do you guys think of this. I think it was a dumb statement cause phillies fans always support the team. I think he should pay less attention to the fans and more on hitting the ball. What are fans supposed to do cheer you when your playing like crap and loseing games you should have won. The team has been playing like they dont even care and he says this about the fans.

Screw you J roll :word05:

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I've never been to Philly and can't speak from first hand knowledge, but he sounds like he's just voicing his feelings which sound pretty acurate from everything I've heard. He mentioned St Louis fans just support their players and so on....not entirely true Jimmy....We get on guys....ask Jason Isringhausen. He barely hits the field before fans start giving him the buis.

3. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

To be fair, anyone who plays in the bullpen for us deserves to get crap.

About Rollins, he's 100% correct about the Philly Fans though.

4. dolphindude13

Aren't you pretty much proving his point by telling him to Screw off? Think of where the Philles would be without him.

5. ball in the baskett

He needs to stop thinking about the fans and start hitting some balls. To me a front runner is a fan that is there when there winning but doesent give a crap about them when there loseing. Phillies fans care about this team and want them to do well but when you see no life in them your going to hear it from the fans.

6. dolphindude13

Hard to stop thinking about fans when they're screaming obcenities at you and telling you that you suck or something, that's all he's saying. You think he or any other player on that team doesn't want to win?

7. ball in the baskett

There just not showing any life. They had the last 2 games won and choked in both of them. They should use what fans say as motivation and not be so sensitive.

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

The reason why Rollins is hearing it from the fans is because he is not producing this year and at certain times he doesn't seem to be putting that much effort into it. The team is in first place as this has been happening, so I don't think that makes us front runners. Fans in Philadelphia are tough on their teams for sure, but it's because of passion. Who would want to cheer for lack of effort? We've seen what he can do when he goes all out. We just want to see more of what he's capable of.

9. dolphindude13

Well, I agree about them not being so sensitive but some idiots do get pretty personal so.....as far as them blowing the last 2 games.....have you seen how many games the Cards have blown after the 7th? It could be worse....at least they are right there for the division lead.

10. DawkinsINT

I hate fans of any team that yell stuff to players about their personal lives. Classless.

11. dolphindude13

If it's for lack of hustle or lack of effort then by all means jump his butt.......I do seem to remember recently Rollins getting benched for not running out a ball I think?

12. DawkinsINT

That would be correct. He said the right things afterward and came back really aggressive. He's apparently lost that desire recently though. He's on pace to score like 50 runs less than last year.

13. dolphindude13

Well in that case, disregard every thing that I've said.......commence to kicking his ass!:icon_cheesygrin:

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I would say from an outsiders prospective I think he has a point. Phillies fans are in general front runnerish. Some support them no matter what but the numbers aren't there when they suck. PhillY fans on the other hand are NOT. The Eagles will always have a stadium full of supporters reguardless of what happens.

15. DawkinsINT

In terms of stadium attendance, yes. But a lot of that has to do with the cost of going to the games. It's hard to shell out that kind of money to watch an inferior product. As far as watching them on tv and following what's happening with the club, I think they always have tons of fans.

16. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Amen. I will never cheer mediocrity and it's hard to sit there and act like nothing has happened.

J-Roll is way off with his comments. Boos don't mean we are not supporting our team. If we weren't supporting the team, the stands wouldn't be packed every night to boo you. Besides, if we were front-runners, no Philly team would have any attendance, because what the heck have any of them given us in the past 100 seasons? Give me a break.

What made Jimmy say this? Other than his ego inflating to ten times it's size since last year's MVP season, it mostly has to do with the drop-off in support he's seen from the fans this year. He expects us to chant M-V-P when he has twice failed to run out pop-ups that dropped and arrived to a game late? Not to mention all of the ground balls he has half assed. He may not have beat them out, but it's infuriating to see a throw after a slow grounder in the hole to short beat Rollins to the bag by a couple of steps. How can you give the crapty performance you have given and then not play your hardest to try and get back to the level you were at last year?

Think we are front-runners? How about looking at Chase Utley. I was at a game during the middle of his 0-20 slump, and he still received the largest ovation of any player BY FAR. Is it because the 40,000 fans in the stands didn't know what he had done in his past 20 at bats? I don't think so. It's because he plays the game the right way and never makes you doubt that he is leaving everything he has on the field.

I'm very disappointed in J-Roll. Even if it was a true statement (which generalizations never are), why do you feel the need to insult and alienate your fans, especially in the key part of the season?

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

He can't go making statements like that...

That's just stupid.

18. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

It doesnt matter where you play, there's always going to be fans like that.
    My boss openly admits he doesn't watch or follow football when the Bills are crapty...but when they're winning, he's going to the games.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

i guess our negative attitude is why the phils choke three straight games to the dodgers - in l.a. :icon_rolleyes:

jimmy is just making pathetic excuses to explain why they aren't playing well. this from a guy who was benched for playing lazy and scratched for showing up late to a crucial game against the mets because he had to do an interview with bob costas.

yes we can be tough but calling us front-runners is completely off base. what other city has the championship drought we have that has 4 major sports teams ? none. what mlb or any pro sports team for that matter has the claim as the losingest team in history ? the phillies.

pathetic. we pay $75-$100 to go see these guys and we're supposed to give them a big hug and sing camp fire songs while they are pissing the season away ?

p/s jimmy - about that claim that you're in the playoffs - well 1st off it's only august- 2nd if the playoffs started today we wouldn't be in them.

20. dolphindude13

Send him to St Louis.....we have a habit of straightening out you guys problem players!:icon_cheesygrin: