Rollins Calls Phillies Fans Front Runners

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by ball in the baskett, Aug 14, 2008.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

::throws batteries at DD13::

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah you did an excellent job with rolen.

3. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

It was said more in a joking manner, but Rolen did have a few damn good seasons and several Gold Gloves in St Louis. 04 he was right up there in MVP voting with somewhere around 35 HR's and 125 RBI and well over .300. Last few years were marred by injuries though.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

i know the point i was making was that rolen was shipped in part due to his issues with larussa.

5. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

he speaks the truth. phillyfans boo their players all the time and now they're sensative to him calling them out? he has just as much right to give it back to the fans. you boo him and the team, you get criticized. stop your crying you bunch of women. :icon_cool: waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh j roll called us a name. waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

6. AlexOvechkin

AlexOvechkin World Champions 2008!!!

You know what?? That's how you destroy a team! Let the satement be the statement BUT don't call j roll whatever you did! That's respectless. He is our MVP!

If you wonder why the Phillies (or especially J-Roll) aren't that good right now, talk about how you behave!

Every team plays like their fans behave, and that's why we are loosing right now!

7. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

:icon_cheesygrin: This may be split off to the "Fight Club" shortly!

8. DawkinsINT

No. Just no.

9. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Wow, how freaking hypocritical and goobered.

Is J-Roll not crying because of the boos? Only difference is that we are not the ones getting paid millions of dollars to play baseball. Instead, we devote time and money to the team.

So what should we do when the team isn't doing well? Sit there like zombies and act like we don't care about our team? Or how about a "come on, you can do better than this" chant? Yeah, cause it's really easy to organize a chant like that with 40,000 people. The fact is, booing is a simple and effective way to voice your displeasure with a player and/or the team and give them a "get it together" message.

Poor wittle Jimmy. He's getting millions of dollars to hit .260 and a three letter word is hurting his cat. :icon_cry:

Get real, kid. This is coming from a fan of a team whose fans threw all kinds of crap on the field after they didn't like an umpire's call. Definitely a classy bunch and surely the ones who should throw the first stone...:icon_rolleyes:

10. DawkinsINT

I think the whole thing is probably a bit overblown. Jimmy hasn't been booed as bad as some may feel hearing his words, and I think what Rollins said came out of him mostly because of his overall frustration with the season he's been having.

Some may perceive this as Rollins hates the Phillies fans and they hate him, but I believe it's far from the case. It's just temporary frustration from both sides.

11. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Exactly. I love that people come out of nowhere with the "after all he did for you last year, you guys boo him? of course he has a point." when Rollins had not gotten crap until today. And that was only because of the statements he made.

I also love how people (even freaking freaking Ken Rosenthal!:icon_rolleyes: ) agree with his statements and say his words are true when he used the wrong term. "Front-running" would be hopping on the bandwagon of the Angels, Celtics, Red Wings, or Giants because they are currently the best or have won championships. What he should have used was the term "fairweather fan" and even that is only true to some point. Of course fans are going to cheer when good things happen and boo when bad things happen. That doesn't change the fact that we packed the stadium to support this team from Game 1.

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

minny fans boo their teams just as much, it's just hard to hear the twenty fans that actually show up.

that was my point, the term he used was incorrect and as you said even fairweather is a bit of a stretch.

nobody is pissed at what he said so much as his uncanny timing with his statement.

a guy who has shown he has been too full of himself after winning the MVP (this after years of not doing what he should've been as a leadoff hitter) and going back to his old ways and on top of that showing time and time again a lack of hustle, showing up to games late should really keep his trap shut and stop trying to make excuses for the team's poor play especially when they were in the middle of a 2-7 road trip.

he did say one thing that nobody would understand because they don't have 1/2 the passion this fanbase does is we are family and sometimes families have disagreements. rollins said himself he loves this city and fanbase but that sometimes in a relationship you have bumps in the road.

outsiders should just mind their business because most of them don't even pay enough attention to their own teams so they have no right to comment on us.