Rookie QB Blaine Gabbert Familiarizing Himself With The Jaguars Playbook

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by Sweets, May 12, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Jacksonville Jaguars rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert is already familiarizing himself with a thick playbook. Gabbert was able to obtain one from the team prior to the resumption of the lockout. "It's great to have it, and I've already gotten into it a lot," Gabbert told the Associated Press. "But I don't have any teammates right now to run through the plays with." Of course, there's no replacement for what Gabbert could be learning on the field and in the film room with coaches' guidance. With the NFL labor dispute continuing with no end in sight, it could be tough for rookies to contribute immediately due to the lost offseason time, former Oakland Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon believes. "If this goes into June, I've had coordinators tell me you could pretty much write off the first year for these rookies," Gannon said. The coaches want to install as much as they can in minicamps, see what the new players can retain, then have them come back for other minicamps and offseason workouts, so by the time they get to training camps, they have seen what they need to do a few times. If the first time they do any of that is in training camp, that's not going to get it done."

Source: National Football Post

Last edited: May 12, 2011