Roy Jones Jr. TKO'ed In The First Round

Discussion in 'Boxing/MMA Talk' started by themush, Dec 2, 2009.

1. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Green stops Jones in first round

SYDNEY -- Australian Danny Green stopped Roy Jones Jr. in the first round of their IBO world cruiserweight title fight Wednesday, preventing the 40-year-old American from claiming his ninth title across five weight classes from middleweight to heavyweight.

The 36-year-old Green retained his title and improved to 28-3 with his technical knockout over Jones at the Acer Arena, in the American's first professional fight on foreign soil in his 20-year career.

It was only Jones' sixth loss since 1989, along with 54 wins, 40 by knockout.

Roy Jones Jr. stopped in first round by Danny Green in cruiserweight title fight - ESPN

2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I didn't know RJJ fought anymore..... I guess I must have forgot.....:icon_cheesygrin:

1 person likes this.
  3. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Was this an upset?

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

:Loco:

Obscure song reference....

No not really. He was fighting in Australia against the reigning champ.

5. hermhater

hermhater Guest

How do most boxing fans feel about it?

6. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

It was his time to hang'em up about 2 years ago.

Pride is a dangerous thing.

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

It's still a payday though.

8. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Roy Jones Jr. is just too old, he was sick in his prime, that's the crapty thing about boxing all of the great boxers in their prime rarely have great competition so it just leaves us with "what if" thoughts.

9. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

FYI this fight is being re-aired on Versus after the B-Hop fight tonight.

10. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I loved him in his prime but that was years ago. What made it even worse was no one wanted to fight him when he was good so his bouts were against crapty boxers, too bad because Roy Jones Jr. was the man back in the day.

11. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I didn't even see the punch that dropped him.

12. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

I hate to see this, he was so damn good but he's too old to be fighting the best anymore.

13. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

i always wanted Roy and Bernard Hopkins to do a rematch. that would have been gr8.

14. dublin mike

dublin mike Unfortunate Georgia Sports Fan

I remember Roy's 1st loss was by DQ, and a questionable DQ at that. He was great in his hey day, maybe the best I have ever seen.

15. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Didn't he hit his opponent when he was on a knee?

16. warcrychief

he had no equal 4 along time. so, i would have 2 question if he was the best. like how Ali had Fraizer.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

if there was id have 2 say it was Bernard Hopkins

17. Texxx

Texxx Special Teamer

I'd be really happy if Roy Jones would just finally retire and go away, so I don't have to hear his jawbone anymore.

18. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

For those who missed the punch line....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWIqZKhNY90]YouTube - Roy Jones Jr. - Ya'll Must Have Forgot (video)[/ame]

19. warcrychief

Bernard would have beaten him afew years ago. but, RJJ was duckin that fight. Bernard wanted it. no point now in having it.

20. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT