Saints Fire Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Switch To 3-4 Defense

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

It hasn't been a great year for Steve Spagnuolo. He was fired as head coach of the Rams on Jan. 2, 2012, and on Thursday the Saints fired him as their defensive coordinator.

This news comes just two days after Sean Payton was reinstated by Roger Goodell. In announcing the move, Payton also said the Saints fired secondary coach Ken Flajole and were making a move to the 3-4 defense.

"I personally want to thank Steve and Ken for their contributions during what was an unprecedented 2012 season,â€￾ Payton said in a statement released by the team. "Philosophically, we are changing our defense to a 3-4 alignment and right now is the best time to accomplish this transition."

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  2. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

please be Romeo Crennel

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

He never really seemed to fit in with the Saints. I'd gladly welcome him in Philly as the DC. Come home Steve, come home. Make it happen Chip!

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Word. Spags or Nolan and I'd forgive Chip for the Pat Shurmur hire.

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Word is Chip wants a 3-4. Spags is a 4-3 guy. He was so highly sought after last season. I can't imagine him being available for entirely too long.

6. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Did Chip ever say he wanted a 3-4 or is it speculation based on what he ran at Oregon? I'm sure he does prefer the 3-4 but maybe he'll change his tune if he can get his hands on a really good 4-3 DC.

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Source:Oregon Live

Obvs speculation and they'd have to do a TOTAL overhaul for the 3-4 but the coaches he's hired has suggested it. The name I've heard a bunch is Ed Donatell for the DC job. I'd much prefer Spags or Lovie but don't see it happening.

8. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Interesting. I figured he'd get one more year. Saints defense started to .. look better later in the season. But, whatever. As long as the players can make the switch and get crap done!

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

the rob ryan rumors are flying now

10. diesel

diesel HERE COMES THE BOOM!!!

what D does eric mangini use?

11. Saintsfan1972

He's a 3-4 guy and his was one of the first names that came up...along with Romeo

12. diesel

And now espn reporting Rob Ryan will be signed by end of week.

13. Saintsfan1972

Yep...the Ryan rumors are defiantly picking up. Kinda torn on this one.

14. diesel

Romeo > Ryan

15. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

I hope Ryan doesn't get the job.

16. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Spags is a great 4-3 coordinator I really just don't think he could work with the Saints personnel, come back to NY!!!!