Saints Head Coach Sean Payton's Contract Voided By NFL

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Mike, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Within the past year, the multiyear contract extension the Saints announced for Sean Payton in September 2011 was voided by the NFL, making the suspended head coach a free agent after this season and casting questions on how long he will remain in New Orleans, according to league sources.

Just as Payton's role in the bounty scandal has been an ongoing saga with the NFL for the past year, so has his contract.

As recently as March, when Payton was visiting NFL offices to appeal his yearlong suspension in the bounty scandal, he asked NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the status of his contract extension and was told it was unsatisfactory as it initially was constituted, sources said.

At issue in the contract was one specific clause that would have enabled Payton to walk away from the deal if general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended, fired or left the New Orleans organization, sources said.

ESPN.com

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Dallas bound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

heck that i want sean payton lol

4. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

hahahaha....he's not going anywhere. the saints ace in the hole is having Brees locked up long term....until the NFL voids his contract too SMH

on a side note, putting my tinfoil hat on.....how obvious is it the NFL is out to kill the Saints organization? did old man Benson sleep with godell's wife or something?????? WTF

5. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

in my opinion what the patriots did is sooooooooooo much worse then what the saints did and the pats only got a slap on the wrist

6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I don't agree completely, but I can get with that, it makes sense. The Pats seemed to have created outright to gain a competitive advantage at the other team's expense. As bad as it sounds for one team to be trying to injure other players, there's still the justification that they were only trying to motivate their own to play hard. I know that's loose, but the argument is there, while the Pats by my estimate had no way to say they weren't blatantly cheating.

7. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

I have never seen the NFL get involed in peoples business like this in the past, goodell is a jerk

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i'm not sure how the league could void his contract because it sounded like it was simply an 'option' for Payton that if Loomis ever got suspended, he could choose to leave on his own.

not sure why the league office has anything to do with his contract

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Gonna be a blessing for Payton...CHA FREAKING CHING coming up!!! Lol...

10. Saintsfan1972

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

I hate ESPN!

12. Saintsfan1972

I'm with ya ward....NFL Network hasn't muttered a word about it

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

ESPN has had shotty reporting for a long time now. They are more and more like the TMZ of the sports world anymore...awful. I refuse to watch...

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Like it was originally intended :)

Sent from my LG-970h using Tapatalk 2

15. Saintsfan1972

sorry cowturds.......

Jay Glazer reporting
    "Sean Payton has informed me, he will ABSOLUTELY be back with the Saints next year."

16. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I was so pissed when he left the DAllas it was a given he was the HC in waiting.

Only time I watch Espn is MnF

17. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

How can the NFL have the powers to do something like that? Goodell is effectively a dic(k)tator.

18. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

i just posted it cause i thought the premise of it was interesting

never proclaimed it as truth

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Same here. MNF is it...

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

NFL.com reported it as well...Sportinf News had a report that had the NFL saying they never did it...