Saints QB Drew Brees, OG Jahri Evans Key To Fixing Team's Salary Cap Mess?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Dec 22, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Brian McIntyre of Yahoo! Sports writes that the Saints could look to restructuring the contracts of QB Drew Brees and G Jahri Evans in order to free up some much needed cap space.

Earlier in the week it was reported that the Saints could be forced to part ways with LB Jonathan Vilma and DE Will Smith because of the salaries and the that they’re projected to be $16 million over the cap next season.

According to McIntyre’s sources, New Orleans could ask both players to take the league’s minimum base salary (Brees: $940,000; Evans:$840,000) and convert the rest of their 2012 salaries into a signing bonus that would clear up to $11.17 million in cap space. McIntyre adds that G Ben Grubbs and LB David Hawthorne also be approached about making the same kind of adjustments to their contracts.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

this is just plain wrong. You know I am a huge Saints fan but they just got Drew's deal done this freaking year. And they are already thinking about restructuring it? Screw the salary cap. Make it a salary beanie. sorta covers you but not really. And it is not just us but most teams that do that. I understand that we will be in cap hell but still it is just not right. and heck these snow flakes falling on my screen. LOL Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Kwanzaa.

3. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

What's wrong is that the league minimum is almost a million dollars.....I should really try out for an NFL team, as like a 3rd string safety.

4. SRW

That defense sucks that much AND they are $16M over the cap? Ouch.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, whoever is the saints 'salary cap guy' is the worst in the league. they are constantly fighting this and they don't have an overabundance of 'superstars' on their roster.

whoever their guy is has messed it up royally.

6. SRW

7. Buck Fenson

the cap guy had been doing a good job until now. but you have to pay the piper eventually and this is the year. I would say they have done a good job keeping this core of guys together for 6 years. But you can only restructure and put off the end result for just so long. If they were at least decent on defense this would not be happening. But with them having to concentrate so much on defense the past few years that they couldn't really draft anyone on offense. If anything I blame the talent guys that pick the defensive guys. They have really dropped the ball on that side pretty horribly. But nowadays you have to pick which side of the team you want to build and go with it. Pretty rare if you can draft both sides and keep them together for any length of time. Time for them to start back drafting offense if Payton is going to stay.

8. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Time to restructure. Release dead weight.

We need defensive help. They can restructure a couple of contracts, extend Graham. ANd they need to draft CBs. I'm wondering if Will Smith is done after this year. Maybe even Vilma. Not sure. The defense has gotten a little better the past couple weeks, but they give up big plays. See Dez Bryant. I'm ready to be a contender again. We need money to do that.

9. Buck Fenson

never liked Will Smith the football player. Always thought he was over hyped. I would wait one more season for Jimmy to see if this year was just a fluke or something. I think Vilma is gone. Lofton did pretty good for just coming in learning a new system and new people. Did more thinking and not enough reacting. We do need corners. But what do you do? Do you go for free agents? Are there any good ones coming out this year in college? I think you need one or two years for a corner to really settle in and we need help like yesterday at that position. That is one spot we have always had trouble at. And listening to the Moose yesterday go on about how this defensive front line sets the tone for this defense, how they have all first rounder picks on the front line. If that is the case they should be dominating like all get out. And they are not. I still think we need to go Dline or linebacker this year. I hope we get our second rounder back. That would help tremendously. If there are not too many good corners coming out then go Dline with the first pick and linebacker with the second. Why waste a high pick for a corner that is not really worth it. I hate drafting for need but our defense really dictates that we do it. Also, welcome back 10. Long time no see.

10. SRW

That D-line's going to have some likely changes with Smith and Ellis leaving. Jordan has finally started to produce like many thought he would. Bunkley's nothing special and he's not getting any younger. They need to be able to get some pressure from the front line and not expose that secondary for so long. The thing that is missing the most is forcing turnovers. They need some ballhawks down there.

11. Buck Fenson

our corners are a joke. even with a better Dline I think they are mediocre at best. Our last very good corner was Eric Allen and crap that was a loooooong time ago. been looking at the corners coming out and not really impressed with most of them. most are from smaller schools or schools that are not traditional powerhouses so their stats can be inflated. But I will leave it up to the powers that be to do what is best. LOL

12. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

DRC was from a small school. The fact remains the same, any secondary exposed for too long can be picked apart by any quarterback, so I really have to say considering that you're not impressed with this lot of corners(I'm guessing they're just seniors and not underclassmen who will declare for the draft.) Then you have to go Dline, you HAVE to get someone who can put pressure on the QB to make him make a mistake, there are only a select few shutdown corners who can hold their own no matter what, every great secondary is helped by a great front 4.

13. SRW

You have to build a pass rush. Jordan alone just doesn't cut it.

14. Buck Fenson

Pass rush. I have heard of such a thing but haven't seen one for a long time. Seems like the ball is snapped and the line just stands up and waltzes. I understand that some corners can come from smaller schools but most of the seniors in this class is not what I call high to middle first round material. but not having followed college football as much this year I am hoping for a surprise pick.

15. SRW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RJsTEkeNY]NFL Draft 2013 Defensive end Rankings 1.0 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjfeNA3hkn0]NFL Draft 2013 Interior defensive lineman Rankings 1.0. - YouTube[/ame]

16. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

Vilma, Smith, and Ellis were as good as gone when the season started. I saw glimpses of our young guys this year..Cam Jordan and Martez Wilson looking like the future