Saints QB Drew Brees Says It's Like Coach Sean Payton Is In Solitary Confinement

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Sweets, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Drew Brees moves forward on a new season without Sean Payton, but the New Orleans Saints quarterback admits it's not going to be easy. "Yeah, that's hard. He's my head coach. We've got a great player-coach rapport, professional relationship," Brees told NFL Network's Marshall Faulk in an exclusive sitdown that airs Sunday on NFL Network. "But I would say 50 percent of our conversations are football. And the other 50 percent are life. Talked about family, talked about other things. "I miss that. It's kinda like they took your friend and put him in solitary confinement." Payton was suspended for the 2012 season for his his role in the Saints' "bounty" system, which ran from 2009 to 2011 and provided a structure in which players were rewarded for injuring or knocking their opponents out of games. Assistant coach Joe Vitt has taken Payton's place, though he'll be absent the first six games as a result of his own "bounty"-related suspension. "It's gonna be a heck of a journey," Brees said. "I look at this season as being maybe one of the more exciting seasons for us because of the opportunity that we have. So much swirling around us. The speculation, 'What are you gonna do without this guy, that guy?' "It really just allows us an opportunity to come together, you know, create an identity. Just reinforce all the things that we've been taught and the culture that we've created here, the environment, that winning attitude, that need to go out and be the hunter and not the hunted." Brees paints the Saints as the victim of a botched investigation by the league, right or wrong, the team is using that belief as its prime motivator.

Source: NFL.com

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

OMFG...I liked Brees better before he signed, now he's like a [​IMG]

SHUT UP ALREADY....DAMN

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  3. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

He's got a point here, though. How can you tell someone they cannot have contact with a friend? Grown men, at that. it makes no sense.

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Well grown MEN would have owned up to what had happened...I seriously doubt if his ONLY friends are on the team...

5. Chipper10

Grown Men make mistakes. He's not the only one. And no, probably not. But still, he works with these guys most of the year. He develops friendships, and now he's being "grounded" by Big Bad Roger.

6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Of course he's not the only one but he's the only one Brees is talking about right now...He broke the rules so now they have to deal with it, geez..what's left to actually understand?

Teams get screwed for crap their staff do... 49ers included, you can choose to snitch, moan and complain for weeks and months on end OR you can let it go and move on, I just find it ridiculous that now that Brees is signed up nice and tight he's on the bandwagon screaming about how wronged the team is and that Goodell is hated by ALL of the NFL players which btw is a flat out lie...maybe next time they should follow the Steelers lead before signing a contract that gave Goodell all the control...

7. Chipper10

He gets asked the questions, he's not going to lie. The media is probably more to blame than Brees in this matter. We're all tired of hearing about it. Saints fans included. But he makes some valid points , as did the Steelers. And yeah, they should have never gave Goodell the amount of power they did.

I cannot wait until football starts and we get into other storylines than this. In a few weeks, we'll be tired of hearing about Tebow/Sanchez too.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time...

Maybe he can pass time on Dancing With The Stars...he's got moves...

9. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

This whiny snitch is crying over his coach in a city who still has the taste of devastation in their mouth? And when did Brees grow a vag?

10. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

what I wonder is how come after players said they did the same thing at other places Williams coached at that the league couldn't find any proof? The players admitted they did it. Can't take their word on it? They admitted it and nothing happened and the Saints denied anything happened and they get slammed. If you want to bring Williams "admission" think about this. After the '11 season he knew he was going to be fired. So why not heck the team on his way out. That is the only "proof" that was cited. The other so called sheet with names and numbers shows absolutely nothing. How do you differentiate between a pay for performance and a pay for injure? Did it say anywhere that someone got X amount of money for hurting X player? No. That is what we are all pissed about. And as far as why didn't anyone go talk to the commish when asked, you really think anything would have been different? How would you be able to prove it was not a pay for injure scheme. Am I tired of hearing about this? Yes. But the Saints got hecked over for something that has been going on for years. That is life. When we hold up that trophy in our home stadium, everyone can suck my freaking rod.

11. SRW

I don't deny the Saints were made scapegoats with the uuber penalty, but all you can do is put it behind you and STFU. Move on so everyone else will, life ain't fair. Let the courts decide this thing's fate.

12. Buck Fenson

I know this is "news?" but damn, why post it. I have to click on all Saints related items.

13. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

This.

14. Buck Fenson

I hate that Skip Baseless is on Vilma's side. Almost makes me want to change my opinion. Almost. Come on football season. So damn close I can taste it.

15. Chipper10

Uhm. So the media is okay to continue asking these questions to Brees, and when he HONESTLY ANSWERS IT..he's the whiny snitch? Riiiight.

16. SRW

He can simply just say 'no comment'.