Saints RB Reggie Bush Forfeits His 2005 Heisman Trophy

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by BigBlueBruiser, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Running back Reggie Bush has decided to forfeit his 2005 Heisman Trophy, the Saints announced. Bush released a statement regarding his decision to forfeit the Heisman. "One of the greatest honors of my life was winning the Heisman Trophy in 2005. For me, it was a dream come true," Bush said. "But I know that the Heisman is not mine alone. Far from it. I know that my victory was made possible by the discipline and hard work of my teammates, the steady guidance of my coaches, the inspiration of the fans, and the unconditional love of my family and friends. And I know that any young man fortunate enough to win the Heisman enters into a family of sorts. Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name. It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005. The persistent media speculation regarding allegations dating back to my years at USC has been both painful and distracting. In no way should the storm around these allegations reflect in any way on the dignity of this award, nor on any other institutions or individuals. Nor should it distract from outstanding performances and hard-earned achievements either in the past, present or future. For the rest of my days, I will continue to strive to demonstrate through my actions and words that I was deserving of the confidence placed in me by the Heisman Trophy Trust. I would like to begin in this effort by turning a negative situation into a positive one by working with the Trustees to establish an educational program which will assist student-athletes and their families avoid some of the mistakes that I made. I am determined to view this event as an opportunity to help others and to advance the values and mission of the Heisman Trophy Trust. I will forever appreciate the honor bestowed upon me as a winner of the Heisman. While this decision is heart-breaking, I find solace in knowing that the award was made possible by the support and love of so many. Those are gifts that can never be taken away."

Source: NewOrleansSaints.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

LEAVE IT VACANT.

3. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

I don't think they should to give it to anyone else, either. But props to Reggie for doing this. Even though I'm still not a fan of his

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Coincidence that the Heisman Committee was going to meet today and Bush choose to do this? I think this was more like a "resign or be fired" type agreement.

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The rules are quite clear, I don't think they need an educational program they just need the athletes to follow the freaking rules.

6. Don't expect a ceremony Vince if you get Bush's recently vacated trophy.....

It's just something you can't recreate or rewrite.

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

What the hell does he want it?

He didn't win it and what is it going to do for him?

8. He probably feels it'll further validate his 2005 National Championship season by receiving the Heisman from that year.

He beat Bush's Trojan's to win the National Title......that's more important than winning an individual award.

9. hermhater

hermhater Guest

10. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

They should give to Leinart just to piss Young off.

11. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

wow. about time.

12. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

Good....another distraction we don't have to worry about

13. The Sith

The Sith 1st Stringer

Vince Young has already said he doesn't want the Trophy.

14. Chipper10

Apparently not..according to a new report. Vince Young is an idiot. Why take a trophy you weren't voted to win? Even if Bush was in the wrong. Winning a Heisman will not guarantee you'll ever win a SB, which is what he should be worried about now..

15. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I think he's probably facing some pressure from Texas. That award won't benefit VY at all, but it helps his legacy at the school, they'll get a copy for their trophy case, and it'll help the program. At least that's the case you could make on his behalf, how true it is I'm not sure.

16. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Agreed.

17. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

if i were reggie it would have taken it here

[​IMG]

18. Chipper10

^^ I agree. Lol. Get some money out of it - oh..nvm. He kinda already did that :D It's the whole reason he's gotta give it back. Oh well.

As far as VY getting it helping Texas, they won the BCS Championship that year. They should worry about how the hell they're going to get through the Big 12 this year with the way their first two games have went. Just saying, lol.

19. The trophy will remain vacant....that ends this argument.

20. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Can someone please explain to me why the USC fan base, and their new AD, Pat Haden, feels that Reggie Bush was so "noble" (Haden's word), in giving up the Heisman? Noble, my ass!!! If he didn't give it up, the Heisman Trust was going to take it away from him.