Saints Replace Reggie Bush With Free Agent Darren Sproles

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by 86WARD, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

The New Orleans Saints didn’t wait long to find a replacement for Reggie Bush. A source told FOXSports.com that the Saints have reached agreement on a two-year contract with free-agent running back Darren Sproles. Financial terms weren’t immediately available. Sproles, 28, doesn’t have the same physical size as Bush, who was traded Thursday to the Miami Dolphins for an undisclosed draft pick and safety Jonathan Amaya.

Source: Fox Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  2. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

So who's the back for San Diego now? Didn't they let LT go because they thought Sproles was the next big thing?

3. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

I was hoping he would pair up with Shady.

4. mike oxlong

Ryan Matthews & Mike Tolbert, like it was most of last year.

5. Saints mos def upgraded..

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Was going to say the same thing HH. Definitely an upgrade over Bush. Scary.

7. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Thanks didn't pay to much attention last year

8. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

OMFG this is awesome....reggie who?

9. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

i bet he was cheaper too

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Sproles is a significant upgrade over Bush? What? Aside from being perhaps less injury prone, how?

11. mike oxlong

the fact that he averages like 10 yards per reception and was the best receiving back 2 of the last 3 years. In that offense, he is essentially Bush, but faster and shiftier. It is an extreme upgrade over Bush.

12. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't see it. I think he is marginally the better player right now but I don't see much of a difference between the two. Its also gonna be a lot tougher for him as he will be playing out of the slot considering he will be back 3 or 4 on the depth chart.

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

Sproles hasn't been as good as he was a few years ago, actually he's gotten worse the last 2 years. He can still be effective though, but isn't as quick as he was a few years ago. Gotta wonder if his size is a factor in that.

14. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Does this spell bad news for Pierre Thomas, though? Saints drafted Ingram. Sign Sproles. It was rumored that Pierre and Payton weren't seeing eye to eye with the injury stuff last season. Now, this happens? I'm still confused, is all. I know Ingram is a rookie, but the dude was under-rated as hell as a pass catcher out of the backfield, I don't see the need for another RB..unless for injury purposes. Strange.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think Thomas hangs around. I dont think this signals the end for him. Probably between him and Ivory for primary back...with the other ring back up.

16. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Really? Lol. The traded back into the first round to get Ingram, you don't think he'll be in the mix for the starting role? I don't think Pierre hangs around too long, depending on how Ivory and Ingram do. I like Pierre, without a doubt. But, we'll see.

17. Saintsfan1972

Coach P said yesterday that ivory still hasn't recoverd 100% from injuries....it may be the end for him

18. Saintsfan1972

Their numbers through the last 3 seasons are almost identical.....but

1. Sproles has only missed 1 game in 4 seasons
    2. He is an instant upgrade on kick returns
    3. He's more consistant/reliable

#1 alone is well worth it

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

The only thing Bush might have an edge in is Route running...

20. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

Don't forget that when we won the SB we had four different backs lead our team in four different categories. Sean Payton knows how to use multiple backs.