Sale Of Browns To Jimmy Haslam III Awaits NFL Approval

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Aug 3, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Randy Lerner has reached a deal to sell the club to Tennessee truck-stop magnate Jimmy Haslam III -- a minority stockholder in the rival Steelers. Lerner will sell 70 percent of the Browns to Haslam now, with the other 30 percent reverting to him four years after the closing date, a person with knowledge of the sale told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details have not officially been announced. While the papers have been signed, the NFL still must approve the sale. Getting the nod from 24 of the 32 teams is required, and no date has been set for a vote because the sale has not been presented to the league yet. The person with knowledge of the sale said approval is expected by the end of September.

Source: Star-Telegram

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Let's go Jimmy. Word is he's highly motivated and dedicated to running a successful club.

3. SRW

But....he's a Steelers fan?

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Stop with that bullcrap

5. SRW

Can't help it. You know that's not going to get old for a long time either and I don't mean just here on GIF.

6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Jokes, whatever. But some people are still taking that seriously.

I know he wasn't raised a Brownie, but it doesn't matter. That's how it works-you buy a team, you become a fan of that team. And that's when they're taking that one quote from, right after he bought Steeler shares.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

All "Steelers already own the Browns" jokes aside, I hate to say it, this is nothing but excellent news for the Browns and their fans.

His investment in the Steelers gave him time to see how a successful organization works, he watched every game, knows the ins and outs and more importantly sat with the Rooney's every game. You'd have to think he learned a lot...it can only benefit the Browns...

8. SRW

I don't know how Holmgren and Banner would work together. I don't get the feeling the new owner is going to go nuclear and blow everything up.

9. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I could see it working potentially, but I certainly don't expect it. I read something this week about all the financial stuff Holmgren's had to deal with as the club continued to pay Phil Savage, Kokinis, Crennel, etc.

If they were able to give Banner those duties and let Holmgren focus more on football and work with Heckert, that would seem to be a great arrangement at face value..lots of variables though.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think Holmgren could be on the outs soon...if the Eagles have a subpar 2012, would we see Andy Reid in Cleveland beginning 2013?