Sammy Sosa Tested Positive For Steriods In 2003

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Mike, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Sammy Sosa is one of the 104 major league players who tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance in 2003, the New York Times reported, citing lawyers who have knowledge of the drug-testing results from that year.

That year was the first in which Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed. There were no penalties for a positive result in 2003.

ESPN

2. davematthews3

davematthews3 1st Stringer

They have to release the whole list. This one name coming out every x amount of months is not good for baseball. The steriods issue will never go away if the continue to let this happen.

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

In other news: The crew of the Apollo 11 Space shuttle landed on the moon today.

Seriously though it's nice to have hard evidence against this guy. "Beisbol been a berry berry good to me"

4. WC Jerome

WC Jerome The poster formerly known as 'MK'!!

I knew it would be only a matter of time before it finally came out. :icon_rolleyes:

5. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

Big surprise here

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

What's the big deal? It was allowed at the time...

7. davematthews3

No it wasn't TJ. roids are illegal in the US and last time I checked the MLB operates in our country. It was accepted not legal.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

The big deal is that he commited purjury when he said he never took PEDs or steroids.

9. WC Jerome

:soapbox:

Thank you, dave! I couldn't have said it better myself. That is what a lot of folks seem to fail to realize...STERIODS ARE ILLEGAL...and have been for a long time!! Just becuase the 'powers that be' in baseball turned a blind eye to what was 'really' going on during that era, doesn't make it right.

10. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

11. davematthews3

Yea this amazed me when the Arod thing came out too. All the baseball guys were like well in 03 baseball had no policy so it's no big deal. So if my work place didn't care about Smoking pot but it came out that I had an ounce in my possesion would the law still not do anything. I really don't get the baseball experts stance on this.

12. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

ive said it before
    i dont give a flying heck if everyone in sports was on steriods, but thats my stance

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Everybody knew back in '98 McGwire was on some sort PED, which wasn't steroids, and nobody ever said anything. Now they're taking him off the Hall of Fame because of that. THAT, my friends, is hypocrisy, or whatever the hell it is spelled.

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It was nandro.

15. davematthews3

Mike. Would your stance be the same if you were a guy like Griffey (assuming hes clean) and you numbers were getting passed and guys were better players then you cuz they cheated and you didn't I think a guy like Griffeys point of view on this era would be a very interesting one to hear.

16. WC Jerome

Have you heard Peter Gammons' stance on this story? It seems like he is definitely pro-players on this one.

17. davematthews3

Yea Peter is like most of the other Baseball guys. Who are all by the way big hypocrites as has already been stated in this thread. Most of them will not vote for the players. But say Baseball should take no action against them because what they did wasn't illegal at the time. If something is acceptable in one form how is it unacceptable in a simailar form?

18. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

you have a rock solid point. Considering it from a players view is something Ive never done.

Im just stating it as a fan, I dont believe for one moment that steriods allow you to hit a fastball any better. You recover faster and bulk up some, but from what ive read, it doesnt improve hand eye cordination

19. davematthews3

Yes but it improves batspeed which can in turn make you a little quicker getting to the ball and can by default improve your hits despite your hand eye. Correct?

20. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

im gonna guess you're right
    ive never been worthacrap at baseball so I cant speak about it