San Francisco 49ers: Will The New Coaches Outperform The Old Staff In 2015?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by markaz, Feb 4, 2015.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

It’s not entirely fair to judge new San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Tomsula by the standards his predecessor,Jim Harbaugh, set. It also is not entirely fair to judge new coordinators Geep Chryst and Eric Mangini by the standards Greg Roman and Vic Fangio set.

None of these men were involved in the decision to part from the most successful coaching staff the 49ers had had since the George Seifert era. They should be judged on their own merits as a first-time head coach and as part of a new staff. It’s owner Jed York and general manager Trent Baalke who should be held to task if the 49ers fail to replicate Harbaugh’s success under their new coaching staff.

It is entirely feasible for the 49ers to finish in such a way that makes Tomsula look good, but York and Baalke look bad. Imagine, for the moment, that the 49ers improve to 9-7 or 10-6, return to the playoffs and lose in, say, the divisional round to the Green Bay Packers. That’d be a very, very good first year for Tomsula, considering that only 155 NFL’s 477 head coaches have ever made the playoffs. [More]

Bleacherreport

Kind of an interesting look at the Niners' new coaching staff. What say ye' @Walnuts, @ICECOLD and all 49ers' fans?

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I would say: No.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I don't get the Eric Mangini hire.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

What, are you f--king kidding me?

86WARD likes this.
  5. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

The deck is stacked against the new coaches. All these guys recovering from major injuries, and a front office the big name guys don't want to coach under with all the media leaks, etc. Not to mention, free agency is going to be brutal with the home talent leaving and the good players from other teams who don't want to play here now with all the drama.

It makes sense now why the niners had so many down-to-the-last-second snaps now. Apparently there were 3-4 different coaches calling plays depending on the scenario. So hopefully that cleans up. And even though some of these guys didn't do well in similar stints elsewhere, there was more going on than they just did a shirtty job. Case in point, Geep's quarterbacks when he was an OC in San Diego were Jim Harbaugh and Ryan Leaf.

I do like the Steve Logan hire. And hopefully Mangini can coach defense better than he does TEs for f--k sakes. But if its a shirt-fest then the whole organization goes back to the stone age and the Yorks will be rich either way.

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Be hard to replace harbaugh.the guy was quarky and witchy,but that dude can coach his ass off.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

4th place in the nfcw next season

TJ likes this.