Shawne Merriman Says Holdout Didn't Accomplish Anything

Discussion in 'San Diego Chargers' started by SRW, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Shawne Merriman finally reported to Chargers training camp on Friday. After missing the first two weeks of practice, the linebacker signed his $3.269 million tender for this season, despite receiving no guarantee that he wouldn't be traded (he wanted one) or a long-term deal (he really wanted one). And it appears he finally realized what most of us knew all along -- his holdout was essentially pointless. "I didn't accomplish anything at all," Merriman said. "I always knew that I was wanted here, which was one of the biggest reasons for getting things sorted out. You hate to deal with the whole business part of it, but I'm so glad it's behind me and I can go out and play." Of course, the "business part of it" is only behind him in the sense that he's being paid for this season. There are still tons of questions whether he can be a productive linebacker worthy of a long-term deal. But that's why he's with the Chargers now: proving that he can perform on the field for a full season (and stay healthy) will go a long way towards getting him paid by someone over a longer duration once he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.