Skins Training Camp Report (Updated Daily)

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by CP26, Jul 31, 2009.

1. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Well In This thread, there will be the Washington Redskins Training Camp Photos. Ill Try To Update them Daily :D.

So The Training Camp Started Thursday So Heres Day 2 Of The Training Camp Pictures:

Day 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Great pics CP, Colt Brennan, wooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo H A W A I I

3. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

yea you love those Hawains huh sweets :D

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Great pics CP...thanks for sharing them. Keep them coming. Get some good ones of Randle El...

5. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

Great pics man

6. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Where are the cheerleaders?

7. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

I dont think the cheerleaders go to training camp.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Hawaii, hometown 26,hometown.

9. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Day 3

Audio

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes listen Here

To listen to comments from Andre Carter listen Here

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo listen Here

To listen to comments from Clinton Portis listen Here

Images For Day 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Practice Resumé

Just got back in after the morning practice. The word of the day is defense, particularly in the trenches. The defensive line was all over the offensive line. That was consistent from the first team, all the way down to the camp fodder. It is a good thing for our QB situation that our quarterbacks were off limits, because the Offensive line was giving ground, to say the least.

Brian Orakpo held my attention for most of the day. Beginning with individual drills, he did not look out of place running with the Linebackers. I expected him to look stiff in space, but was pleasantly surprised on how well he moved for such a big LB. Going into today, I was curious to see how quickly Orakpo was going to put his hand in the dirt at DE, and saw the first look in the nickel package. Orakpo became the right DE, with Andre Carter moving to left end. I expected when there was offensive movement, Orakpo would be found out of position quite often, I was pleasantly surprised how well he seemed to pick up the changes. Whether London Fletcher was helping him along, I couldn't hear, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Following a short break, I followed the DL, and watched some pass rushing drills. The Defensive line certainly held its own against the pass blocking group. Orakpo easily beat Samuels on one move with a quick inside-out move. Phil Daniels and Andre Carter also impressed. Haynesworth destroyed Dockery on a one-on-one.

It goes without saying; Haynesworth is a beast and will certainly make life easier on our ends in pass rushing situations. Chad Reinhart and Mike Williams were 50-50 (meaning they got beat half the time). It is safe to say that they are better run blockers. Stephen Heyer is by far the best right tackle on the roster right now. Mike Williams and Jeremy Bridges appear to struggle consistently with quick ends. I do not believe there will be any real competition a right OT. I am calling it now, Heyer, barring injury is the starter.

Following the defensive players over to a 3/4 speed scrimmage with the offense. The defensive line ruled the day. The pocket was non-existent. It collapsed almost instantly. The QBs would have gotten sacked on almost every play. When they did get the ball away, our three 2nd round picks stood out.

Devin Thomas, who I believe will start this year opposite Moss, was quick and made a couple of plays. Malcolm Kelly also made a couple of in-traffic grabs. Fred "Sleepy" Davis also made a nice catch and ran several nice routes. The three sophomores looked promising and appear to be in Zorn's plans for this season. Overall the QB play was average, probably due to the pressure.

Campbell hit Cooley over the middle on a quick pass, but was late throwing in the flats on two occasions, which allowed Justin Tryon to break up both of them. There is a lot of buzz right now on the impact Tryon can have this season, in my opinion that is premature.

Overall, I was somewhat surprised on my first day covering for ES with the lack of full-contact drills. My thinking is that they have to save themselves for the season and cannot risk injury. The practice was a quick two hours with no major injuries. I didn't see Carlos Rogers running around and did see Mike Williams limping towards the end of practice.

Going into this practice the biggest question for me and many others was the offensive line. So far, they have not looked good. They got little to no push against our DL on running plays, and were like a sieve on passing plays. To say the offense wasn't crisp is an understatement. Hopefully, this is due to the fact that this is the third day of camp.

The afternoon practice is strictly special teams, so barring any breaking news, Murf and I will be signing off for the day. We will be back at the park tomorrow morning for another day of fun.

10. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

:highfive:

excellent thread

11. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Where are the fans?

12. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

First Of All Thanks for all the good comments you guys posted here :)

Day 4

Photo's

Morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afternoon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Audio

To listen to comments from Albert Haynesworth listen Here

To listen to comments from LaRon Landry listen
    Here

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo listen
    Here

Practice Résumé

MORNING

The Redskins just wrapped up the morning practice. There were a couple of bouts of steady rain, but for the most part, it was light. Carlos Rogers was held out due to the sore calf. He told us that it was precautionary due to the wet turf. Cornelius Griffin was caught in a pile-up with Randy Thomas, and was slow to get up. He got back into the action after sitting out a couple of plays. The practice seemed more spirited and physical this morning, than yesterday.

After a poor showing yesterday, the offensive line seemed to make some progress. It was not obvious improvement; I had to look for it.

Clinton Portis opened the scrimmage with a nice run to the left side. But, for the most part the defensive line still ruled the day, especially the first team. Haynesworth, Orakpo, and Carter were consistently in the QBs laps throughout the 11 on 11s and the 9 on 9s. I will say that the second team offensive line fared better than the first. Mike Williams showed some signs of life in some physical battles with Supplemental Third Round Pick Jeremy Jarmon. I would say that it was an even matchup, both getting the better of each other on a few occasions. It is still safe to say, Williams is a work in progress.

The young receiving corps looked good again with Devin Thomas running with the starting unit in three wide receiver sets. He made a couple of catches and ran very crisp routes. Malcolm Kelly also shined with a spectacular first down catch. Fred Davis also had a nice grab, but subsequently dropped a wide open pass a couple of plays later.

The quarterback play was very shaky this morning. Jason Campbell was under constant pressure, even in the 9 on 9s, when the defense was only rushing two. For the most part, he still appears to be holding on to the ball too long, which led to two interceptions, one by Chris Horton, one by Byron Westbrook. Todd Collins did not perform any better, getting picked off by Michael Grant. Colt performed relatively well against the third and fourth teams, and the fans love him for it.

The defensive line looked menacing again this morning. Hopefully they are that good, and the offensive line isn't that bad. In nickel situations, the lineup was Orakpo at right defensive end, Carter at left defensive end, and Daniels and Haynesworth at defensive tackles. They were creating a ridiculous amount of pressure. If you are wondering how Brian Orakpo looks at defensive end, he is very impressive. He is quick and strong and appears to be a natural right defensive end. He continues to look good at linebacker as well. It looks like he is going to be everything he is being built up to be. He is a player.

Stay tuned, the closed, afternoon practice will gear up at 3:00PM (barring weather). We'll keep you posted.

Just shorts and shells this afternoon...

EVENING SESSION

The afternoon practice just wrapped up at Redskins Park. The skies turned sunny and the heat rolled in. It was a spirited practice highlighted by some pushing and shoving between Kedric Golston and Mike Sellers. But, for the most part, it went at a leisurely pace.

Much of the defense had the afternoon off, including Albert Haynesworth, Carlos Rogers, and Anthony Montgomery. It is difficult to critique a practice when there is little to no contact. I was surprised how little running went on today and how little contact there actually was. The days of having 120 players to bang against each other are over, I suppose.

Much of my focus was on the receivers, as I grew tired of watching the defensive and offensive lines stand around. I was impressed with the crisp routes the receiving corps ran. I particularly focused in on Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Marques Hagans. All three showed excellent footwork going into their cuts. All three finished off all of their repetitions without letting a ball hit the grbutt. If any of you are wondering about Kelly's knee, he looked strong and fluid. He is moving very well and wearing no type of covering or brace. If he can stay healthy, he will contribute this season. At 6-5 and 225 lbs., he is the procession receiver the Redskin offense has been lacking for some time. The quarterbacks also looked relatively sharp as well. With that being said, there was no offensive line or defensive line involved.

The afternoon practice wrapped up with some light 11 on 11 drills. For the most part, things looked similar to the last couple of practices, defense ruled the day. Stephon Heyer and Mike Williams had their hands full with guys like Renaldo Wynn and Jeremy Jarmon. Kevin Barnes made a touchdown-saving breakup, knocking the ball away from Devin Thomas. Justin Tryon also continued his solid play as well. But, if the defense was actually allowed to hit the quarterback, it would have been a sack-fest. All in all, it was a slow and forgettable practice session.

I would like to thank those of you for your kind words so far. It has been a pleasure to keep the ExtremeSkins faithful informed. Murf will be back on site tomorrow afternoon with another newbie, NoLeafClover. I will be back at Redskins Park Thursday.

13. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Amazing stuff, dude.

14. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Thanks man!!!

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Excellent info and pictures CP! Looking forward to more...

16. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Day 5

Audio

To listen to comments from Ladell Betts listen Here

To listen to comments from Fred Smoot listen Here

To listen to comments from Derrick Dockery listen Here

Photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Practice Résumé

As I mentioned in the opening, today was a closed (i.e. - laid back) practice, where the team mostly scrimmaged instead of doing individual drills. Unfortunately, Zorn and Co. decided to pay tribute to Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs today by creating a wall of players between the media and those scrimmaging, making it hard to follow the action on the field for a large chunk of the day. (Figures they'd break that out on my first day.)

During individual receiving drills, both Devin Thomas and Keith Eloi earned praise from Coach Zorn on their route running. While evaluating the wide outs, the coach also kept a close eye on his young QBs (Colt Brennan and Chase Daniel). Zorn even made a point to stop one drill to stress the importance of consistency in Brennan's footwork, namely making sure his steps were evenly spaced every time he dropped back.

The highlight of the afternoon for me personally was listening to special teams coach Danny Smith, who wasn't bashful when interacting with players. To ensure his players were where they needed to be, he shouting either, "You're alive" or "You're dead" during drills. I tried to imagine what it would be like to have a guy that high strung in my life on a day-to-day basis. Let's just say a desk job becomes 1,000 times more memorable if you're sharing a work space with Smith.

It was also nice to see Hall of Famer Sam Huff in attendance today. He might be in his 70's, but he's still active on the sidelines. At various times during the hour-long session, I saw him chatting with Coach Smith, sitting with Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder and basically interacting with anyone and everyone nearby.

Speaking of the sidelines, here's who sat out today: Albert Haynesworth, Carlos Rogers, Roydell Williams, Anthony Montgomery and J.D. Skolnitsky. Eddie Williams was still sporting a knee brace and saw limited action by himself.

During today's practice, Antwaan Randle El, Santana Moss, DeAngelo Hall, Keith Eloi, Dominique Dorsey, Anthony Alridge and Marques Hagans were all given a shot at punt returns. Eloi stood out the most today (although in fairness to Moss, his protection fell apart on his return), so I made it a point to grab him when he was coming off the field to ask him about punt returning.

On punt returning, in general, Eloi said: "I feel pretty comfortable. You know I've done it before. It's nothing new. Football is football, you just catch and run."

He also said there was going to be a battle for that role.

"That position right there, I guess, is open. I heard something like that," he said. "So we're all battling. We have like seven or eight guys back there battling for that one spot."

Everything I've heard said that Randle El is still the guy at punt returner, so Eloi's comments were news to me. That being said, it definitely isn't a bad thing to see the coaching staff keeping their options open. A guy like Eloi isn't a lock to make the roster, but securing the punt return gig would certainly change things around town.

I also spoke to Renaldo Wynn about being back in Washington (which he said was a "godsend" for him and his family) and his goals for the season. He said his main concern was staying healthy and that he wanted to let people "know that I haven't slowed down or lost a step." He added: "The only number I want you to pay attention to is my jersey. Don't worry about my age. It's just a number, bro."

The last person I spoke to was Ladell Betts, who seems to be a possible candidate as a possible breakout player in this offense. With that in mind, I asked him what his goals were for the season.

"My mindset is this – I'm trying to capitalize on every opportunity that I get," Betts said. "I missed a lot of the second half of last season, so I'm hungry right now and I feel good. That's kind of how I'm approaching it."

No one thinks Clinton Portis needs to start looking over his shoulder, but having Betts and Portis both heavily involved seems to be a smart move, from our vantage point. And on that note, I'll wrap things up. Much like Portis and Betts, I don't think JimmiJo needs to look over his shoulder (just yet), but hopefully you guys will work with me as I continue to figure things out.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Love this picture...

[​IMG]

Excellent stuff as usual!

18. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

yea As I saw that Picture, I thought about your GFX skills. :)

19. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Day 7

Audio

To listen to comments from Malcolm Kelly listen Here

To listen to comments from Stephon Heyer listen Here

To listen to comments from DeAngelo Hall listen Here

Photos

Portis and friends steal a cart after practice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Practice Résumé

Morning

This morning was an exciting one here in Ashburn. The practice was open to the public, so there was a lot of energy from the fans (including one loud guy in particular who repeatedly shouted at Ladell Betts – to the point of making folks around him uncomfortable – just so he could yell "you're the man"). It was also exciting because there were a few new faces out there today, but more on that in a minute.

The offense, as has been the case this week, struggled for the most part again today. During 11-on-11s, they sputtered while the defense continued to consistently create pressure. The one thing I will say that stood out this morning was that the defense decided to have a little fun and began to utilize some of their blitz packages. And since the offense hasn't done well with the defense only rushing a few guys at a time, you can guess what happened when Greg Blache unleashed the dogs.

In the first nine plays of 11-on-11, the offense only had one completion. Can you say three and out?

On consecutive plays, London Fletcher and DeAngelo Hall were both untouched while blitzing the quarterback and would have had reason to celebrate. In fact, here's the breakdown on the first nine 11-on-11's: would-be sack, incomplete, 20-yard completion from Campbell to Santana Moss on Kevin Barnes, Cornelius Griffin deflection on a Todd Collins pass, Andre Carter forced incomplete, Fletcher sack, Hall sack, Collins pass to Dominique Dorsey (who heard footsteps from LaRon Landry and dropped the ball).

The offense looked much more comfortable during the 9-on-9s. Chris Samuels and Derrick Dockery were both able to lock down the defense, giving the quarterbacks time to throw. So basically, if the 'Skins can somehow convince the other teams to only send out nine guys on D this year, they'll be in good shape.

A few positive from this morning - Santana Moss had his best practice thus far. He looked great as he embarrassed whoever lined up against him. Moss looked comfortable in his routes and hauled in several impressive catches, including a beautiful play where he got Justin Tryon to bite deep, cut back to the ball and pulled a nice toe-dragging catch at the sideline. Chris Horton also shined today, looking particularly impressive blowing up Derrick Dockery and Clinton Portis in the backfield on one particular play. And finally, Trent Shelton deserves some love, as he showed good hands today, catching whatever was thrown at him.

On the flip side, Todd Collins (overthrowing everyone), Antwaan Randle El (dropped two gimmies) and Fred Smoot (got burnt twice) did not have the best days of their pro careers. Collins was clearly rattled by the defense and sent balls sailing over several receivers' heads during red-zone drills. Randle El struggled with dropped passes, including a heartbreaking play where he pulled a double move on Smoot and stood all alone in the endzone, but failed to haul in the catch. (If it came during a game situation, you'd have thrown something at your TV.) And if getting burnt by Randle El wasn't bad enough, Smoot was torched by Shelton too. Not good times for the Love Boat Captain.

As we mentioned in the opening, both D.J. Hackett and Michael Marquardt were at camp today. It's hard to tell too much about either guy after only seeing one practice, but Hackett has a familiarity with Zorn and the system from his time in Seattle and he seemed to look fine on the limited passes thrown his way. Marquardt looked a bit lost out there, but considering he was on the Eagles practice squad last year and considering his name was misspelled on the back of his jersey today, I'm not liking his chances of making the team regardless of how he does out there.

Stephon Heyer and Devin Thomas were both wearing shorts today and only had light practices. Malcolm Kelly took it easy this morning, but did practice with the rest of the team.

After practice, Thomas said, "It's nothing serious, but I'm taking it easy. I learned my lesson last year."

We also caught up with Malcolm Kelly after practice to see how he's feeling.

"My knee is good and everything," Kelly said. "Yesterday, mid-practice, I got to running and it got to feeling kind of tight, so I pulled myself out."

He said he felt better today, but the coaches remained cautious with him this morning, telling him to take it easy and make sure he didn't trying to do too much on it. All in all, neither guy seems to be dealing with more than a minor injury.

Afternoon

In stark contrast to the morning session, this afternoon was a much more relaxed practice. There were no fans watching, all of the players were in shorts and shells and there was a leisurely pace to the practice.

Most of the afternoon was spent scrimmaging. Here's a few quick observations:

After the first 11-on-11, I spotted Coach Zorn giving D.J. Hackett a bit of individual attention on the sideline. Even if the two are familiar with each other, you have to figure Hackett's going to have to play catch up, so that's not a real surprise. But like I said, it was a slow day and this was one of the few noteworthy moments after lunch.

Colt Brennan threw two passes that should have been picked off. The first seemed innocent enough, if not for the super athleticism of Brian Orakpo, who managed to reach back and nearly get the interception. The second hit LaRon Landry right in the chest. He promptly looked for a receiver to take it out on.

Speaking of dropped balls, fourth-string TE Robbie Agnone almost pulled in two separate one-handed catches that would have been highlight-worthy. Unfortunately, both times he failed to secure the ball.

Special teams coach Danny Smith was once again in rare form. Early on in practice he had his guys trying to scoop and score with loose footballs. Most guys faired about as well as you'd expect – which means they looked like they were attempting to grab a greased pig. Nevertheless, Smith was screaming "Scoop and score!" and "Get in the endzone!" every time a player went through the drill.

And then safety Kareem Moore stepped up and redefined ugly, failing to secure the bouncing ball on at least three attempts.

"Hey Kareem, if you get stuck like that, keep shovin'!" shouted Smith. He of course followed it up with "Get in the endzone!" The guy is intense.

Quick update: Albert Haynesworth, Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Anthony Montgomery, Stephon Heyer, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Eddie Williams, Carlos Rogers, Randy Thomas, Lorenzo Alexander, Alfred Fincher and J.D. Skolnitsky all saw little to no action. I wouldn't read too much into this though, since, in most cases, it seemed like they were just resting these guys.

The special teams crew (Shaun Suisham, Dave Rayner, Hunter Smith and Ethan Albright), who typically do their own thing during camp anyway, could be seen playing catch on a separate practice field to kill time. Perhaps they are gearing up for a few trick fourth down plays.

The special teams fun was actually reminiscent of a drill the three running backs did in the morning session. Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright stood in a triangle and threw a baseball back and forth to each other to work on their hands. This seems noteworthy since no one I've talked to had ever seen 'Skins players work a baseball into a practice before.

And finally, I wanted to point out that after practice, all four QBs stayed behind to throw passes to Malcolm Kelly and Marko Mitchell. They were working on fade routes specifically, so if the team completes one for a touchdown this season, today was a good day.

20. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Day 7

Audio

To listen to comments from Malcolm Kelly listen Here

To listen to comments from Stephon Heyer listen Here

To listen to comments from DeAngelo Hall listen Here

Photos

Portis and friends steal a cart after practice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Practice Résumé

Morning

This morning was an exciting one here in Ashburn. The practice was open to the public, so there was a lot of energy from the fans (including one loud guy in particular who repeatedly shouted at Ladell Betts – to the point of making folks around him uncomfortable – just so he could yell "you're the man"). It was also exciting because there were a few new faces out there today, but more on that in a minute.

The offense, as has been the case this week, struggled for the most part again today. During 11-on-11s, they sputtered while the defense continued to consistently create pressure. The one thing I will say that stood out this morning was that the defense decided to have a little fun and began to utilize some of their blitz packages. And since the offense hasn't done well with the defense only rushing a few guys at a time, you can guess what happened when Greg Blache unleashed the dogs.

In the first nine plays of 11-on-11, the offense only had one completion. Can you say three and out?

On consecutive plays, London Fletcher and DeAngelo Hall were both untouched while blitzing the quarterback and would have had reason to celebrate. In fact, here's the breakdown on the first nine 11-on-11's: would-be sack, incomplete, 20-yard completion from Campbell to Santana Moss on Kevin Barnes, Cornelius Griffin deflection on a Todd Collins pass, Andre Carter forced incomplete, Fletcher sack, Hall sack, Collins pass to Dominique Dorsey (who heard footsteps from LaRon Landry and dropped the ball).

The offense looked much more comfortable during the 9-on-9s. Chris Samuels and Derrick Dockery were both able to lock down the defense, giving the quarterbacks time to throw. So basically, if the 'Skins can somehow convince the other teams to only send out nine guys on D this year, they'll be in good shape.

A few positive from this morning - Santana Moss had his best practice thus far. He looked great as he embarrassed whoever lined up against him. Moss looked comfortable in his routes and hauled in several impressive catches, including a beautiful play where he got Justin Tryon to bite deep, cut back to the ball and pulled a nice toe-dragging catch at the sideline. Chris Horton also shined today, looking particularly impressive blowing up Derrick Dockery and Clinton Portis in the backfield on one particular play. And finally, Trent Shelton deserves some love, as he showed good hands today, catching whatever was thrown at him.

On the flip side, Todd Collins (overthrowing everyone), Antwaan Randle El (dropped two gimmies) and Fred Smoot (got burnt twice) did not have the best days of their pro careers. Collins was clearly rattled by the defense and sent balls sailing over several receivers' heads during red-zone drills. Randle El struggled with dropped passes, including a heartbreaking play where he pulled a double move on Smoot and stood all alone in the endzone, but failed to haul in the catch. (If it came during a game situation, you'd have thrown something at your TV.) And if getting burnt by Randle El wasn't bad enough, Smoot was torched by Shelton too. Not good times for the Love Boat Captain.

As we mentioned in the opening, both D.J. Hackett and Michael Marquardt were at camp today. It's hard to tell too much about either guy after only seeing one practice, but Hackett has a familiarity with Zorn and the system from his time in Seattle and he seemed to look fine on the limited passes thrown his way. Marquardt looked a bit lost out there, but considering he was on the Eagles practice squad last year and considering his name was misspelled on the back of his jersey today, I'm not liking his chances of making the team regardless of how he does out there.

Stephon Heyer and Devin Thomas were both wearing shorts today and only had light practices. Malcolm Kelly took it easy this morning, but did practice with the rest of the team.

After practice, Thomas said, "It's nothing serious, but I'm taking it easy. I learned my lesson last year."

We also caught up with Malcolm Kelly after practice to see how he's feeling.

"My knee is good and everything," Kelly said. "Yesterday, mid-practice, I got to running and it got to feeling kind of tight, so I pulled myself out."

He said he felt better today, but the coaches remained cautious with him this morning, telling him to take it easy and make sure he didn't trying to do too much on it. All in all, neither guy seems to be dealing with more than a minor injury.

Afternoon

In stark contrast to the morning session, this afternoon was a much more relaxed practice. There were no fans watching, all of the players were in shorts and shells and there was a leisurely pace to the practice.

Most of the afternoon was spent scrimmaging. Here's a few quick observations:

After the first 11-on-11, I spotted Coach Zorn giving D.J. Hackett a bit of individual attention on the sideline. Even if the two are familiar with each other, you have to figure Hackett's going to have to play catch up, so that's not a real surprise. But like I said, it was a slow day and this was one of the few noteworthy moments after lunch.

Colt Brennan threw two passes that should have been picked off. The first seemed innocent enough, if not for the super athleticism of Brian Orakpo, who managed to reach back and nearly get the interception. The second hit LaRon Landry right in the chest. He promptly looked for a receiver to take it out on.

Speaking of dropped balls, fourth-string TE Robbie Agnone almost pulled in two separate one-handed catches that would have been highlight-worthy. Unfortunately, both times he failed to secure the ball.

Special teams coach Danny Smith was once again in rare form. Early on in practice he had his guys trying to scoop and score with loose footballs. Most guys faired about as well as you'd expect – which means they looked like they were attempting to grab a greased pig. Nevertheless, Smith was screaming "Scoop and score!" and "Get in the endzone!" every time a player went through the drill.

And then safety Kareem Moore stepped up and redefined ugly, failing to secure the bouncing ball on at least three attempts.

"Hey Kareem, if you get stuck like that, keep shovin'!" shouted Smith. He of course followed it up with "Get in the endzone!" The guy is intense.

Quick update: Albert Haynesworth, Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Anthony Montgomery, Stephon Heyer, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Eddie Williams, Carlos Rogers, Randy Thomas, Lorenzo Alexander, Alfred Fincher and J.D. Skolnitsky all saw little to no action. I wouldn't read too much into this though, since, in most cases, it seemed like they were just resting these guys.

The special teams crew (Shaun Suisham, Dave Rayner, Hunter Smith and Ethan Albright), who typically do their own thing during camp anyway, could be seen playing catch on a separate practice field to kill time. Perhaps they are gearing up for a few trick fourth down plays.

The special teams fun was actually reminiscent of a drill the three running backs did in the morning session. Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright stood in a triangle and threw a baseball back and forth to each other to work on their hands. This seems noteworthy since no one I've talked to had ever seen 'Skins players work a baseball into a practice before.

And finally, I wanted to point out that after practice, all four QBs stayed behind to throw passes to Malcolm Kelly and Marko Mitchell. They were working on fade routes specifically, so if the team completes one for a touchdown this season, today was a good day.