Skins Training Camp Report (Updated Daily)

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by CP26, Jul 31, 2009.

1. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Not busting balls (for once) this is a serious question.... are these things closed to the public or are you just managing to make it look like there are no fans there. I mean I realize your focusing on the players and your pics are great (if you don't vomit at the site of burgundy and gold like I do) but I don't see ANYBODY in the backgrounds.

2. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

SORRY NO PICS TODAY

[​IMG]

Audio

To listen to comments from Chad Rinehart listen Here
    To listen to comments from Justin Tryon listen Here

Practice Résumé

Morning

The morning session just wrapped up at a very wet day at Redskins Park. Randy Thomas, Mike Williams, and Stephon Heyer were held out of contact drills. Albert Haynesworth, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly participated for the full practice. However, Thomas re-aggregated his hamstring and may be held out of practice this afternoon.

Chad Rinehart and Jeremy Bridges got the starts at right guard and right tackle, respectively. I would say that the offensive looked better today. Jeremy Bridges looked as good as he has all camp long. I am not anointing him a starter or a backup, but he did look better. Rinehart looked much better in pass blocking and run blocking situations. He fared well against Cornelius Griffin and Kedric Golston. He missed one or two blocks, but he had a ton of repetitions and played as well as I have seen him play. With Randy Thomas coming back from injury and limited over the past couple of days, Reinhart will get a lot of snaps for the rest of camp and into the pre-season. I interviewed him after practice and he seems up to the task. I know that everyone who is reading this post is hoping the Rinehart can prove everyone wrong and be a player.

Overall the offense seemed to be crisper today. The offensive line held up better than they have earlier in camp. With that being said, a lot of quick slants and check downs were thrown. It appears that the offensive staff is looking to help the offensive line out with quick releases. I am sure that the quarterbacks will appreciate that strategy. I think we will see a lot of that this season. The running game also was better. Clinton Portis has a nice sweep for a touchdown. The defense was not as dominant today as it has been over the past few days. There are still issues on the offensive line, but they were able to move the ball with short passes to Kelly, Sellers, and several other receivers.

Reed Doughty continues to play well. He looks quicker and had another interception today, as did Kareem Moore. The safety position seems deep and has performed well, to this point. Cornerback is still up in the air with Carlos Rogers skipping this camp with a sore calf and Fred Smoot aging. It is going to be interesting to watch Justin Tryon and Kevin Barnes compete for time on the field.

Brian Orakpo continues to impress in space and seems to be fitting into the strong side linebacker role well. Still suited better for defensive end, he is playing well and continues to impress. It is going to be fun to watch Orakpo develop over the next few weeks.

The Redskins will be back on the field at 3:00PM and I will update you after the session.

Afternoon

The afternoon session just wrapped up at Redskins Park. The rain left us and it turned out to be a great day in Ashburn. With that being said, it was a very quiet afternoon of practice. The team was in shells and shorts.

What stood out for me the most was the wide receiver position. Last season, there were clear number one and number two receivers, in Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El. The slot receiver was occupied by numerous bodies that included James Thrash, Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas. Due to injuries, Kelly and Thomas rarely were on the field and left the Redskin offense limited, with Moss often being double covered. It has been obvious from the moment camp opened; the Redskins have been hoping that Thomas and Kelly would step up and compete for the number two job, opposite of Moss. Both have size and speed that would certainly complement Moss. If they can stay healthy, Moss could get some single coverage in certain situations.

Although Randle El is apparently being unseated in the standard offensive set, I must point out that he has had a very solid training camp. He made several catches this afternoon, beating Smoot and Hall. He still has great quickness and will be difficult to cover coming out of the slot. Randle El is going to have a good year as the third receiver and should greatly benefit from being covered by a nickel corner.

The fifth receiver could be filled by D.J. Hackett, Marques Hagans, Marko Mitchell, Keith Eloi, or Trent Shelton. Although the veteran Hackett was just signed, there is no certainty that he will make the final roster. I like Hagans and Eloi. I would like to see Hagans on the roster with Eloi on the practice squad. But, the fact the Redskins spent a draft pick on Mitchell makes me think they will keep him around.

If the sophomore receivers can stay healthy, I think the corps could be much improved over last season. Their size and speed should open things up for Moss and allow Randle El to return to his more natural position as the third option.

This will wrap things up today from Redskins Park. Murf and I will be back on Saturday for the scrimmage. I look forward to seeing you all there.

3. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Today I only Have The Pictures:

Day 9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Good stuff CP!!

5. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

No buddy it isnt closed to public. If you want I could some fans pictures when I find some.

6. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Thanks Bob Ross !!!!

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Obviously he's standing on the side where the fans are allowed to sit/stand. My bad, maybe you thought the 'Skins fans would be hanging out of the trees or sitting in the brush? lol...

8. hermhater

hermhater Guest

[​IMG]

9. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

The fans sit / stand behind the photographers. There's a fence there, not a real one just a barricade thing and they (photographers) sit in front of it.

Here's a picture I took from camp, you can see what I mean here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CP, are you Murf or just taking his photos?

10. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

Im taking the photos HTTR. Thanks for posting the pics.

HTTR!!!

11. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Okay thought so, was just curious though.

12. CP26

CP26 Im Back Mofos

2009 Training Camp Day 10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok Lets Get Serious Here :icon_cheesygrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mcintosh With the Miami U Tatoo on his arm!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Practice Résumé:

The scrimmage just wrapped up at Redskins Park. I would certainly give the nod to the defense. The offense moved the ball some, but mostly just dinked and dunked. Jeremy Bridges (starting right tackle today), went down with a right sprained ankle. I feel that Jeremy Jarmon stood out. Justin Tryon played well until a pass interference penalty that gave the offense their biggest gain of the day. Brian Orakpo is truly the real deal. He is going to be a very good player for a long time.

The offensive line opened up a couple of holes for the young backs, but struggled in pass protection. With Williams and Heyer out, the right side did not show well. The line was somewhat protected by the quick short passing strategy of the scripted plays.

Quarterback play was spotty. Colt did not impress. Campbell threw a pick and only threw check down routes. Daniel was inconsistent. Collins looked poised and threw well.

With Portis out and Betts only getting a couple of passes, Mason, Rock, and Alridge got the majority of the repetitions. Mason looked solid. Rock is consistent, but not very explosive. Alridge has great quickness and speed, but fumbled again. His days are numbered.

Here is the play by play:

First Offense V Second Defense

1. Campbell scrambles for 2
    2. Dixon off side
    3. Mason 5 yard run
    4. Check down from Campbell to Betts (third option)
    5. Draw to Mason results in first down
    6. Sellers attempts one handed grab – incomplete from Campbell
    7. Draw to Alridge for 12 yards (great quickness) first down
    8. DJ Hackett from Campbell – 10 yards on Westbrook first down
    9. Fred Davis from 17 for 5 yards
    10. Aldridge 2 yards off tackle
    11. Mason – one handed grab 7 yards to the 4 first down
    12. Randle-El 1 yd completion
    13. Mason – loss of 5, Reed Doughty on the stop
    14. Betts – 5 yard reception
    15. Suisham 21 yard kick 3-0

First Defense V Second Offense
    1. Slant to Marko Mitchell 15 yards Hall on the stop
    2. Rock right for 2 yards / Carter Tackle
    3. Rock right for 3 yards / Carter Tackle
    4. Orakpo draws Clark off sides
    5. Orakpo gets to Colt, Brennan flagged for intentional grounding ….Offense 3 and out
    6. Colt to Mitchell 8 yards, Moore Tackle
    7. Eloi drops Colt's sidearm pass
    8. Marko Mitchell 4 yard gain for 1st down
    9. Dorsey 3 yard carry
    10. Brennan fumbles on a scramble
    11. Agnone gets 7 on pass from Colt, short of first down ….Offense 3 and out

First Offense V Second Defense
    1. Tryon picks off Campbell in the flat… Offense 1 and out
    2. Fred Davis underneath from Campbell for 6
    3. Alridge for 15 on quick pass from Campbell. Alridge fumbles with minimum contact, Moore recovers. Offense 2 and out
    4. Collins sacked by Buzbee
    5. Mason flare from Collins for 5 yards, great hit by Grant
    6. Rinehart jumps off side
    7. Hagans pass from Collins for 12, short of first down. Offense 3 and out.

First Defense V Second Offense
    1. Cartright pass from Daniel for 4
    2. Daniel waggle to Agnone for 3
    3. Rock dropped for loss of 4 by Horton penetration
    4. Daniel scrambles, holding called on Ed win Williams
    5. Daniel deep pass (very underthrown) to Mitchell incomplete, interference on Tryon First Down
    6. Dorsey up the middle for 5
    7. Hackett for 5 from Daniel
    8. Daniel roles right break up by Barnes
    9. Daniel scrambles 10 yards for Touchdown

Red Zone Drill
    1. Draw to Rock for 9
    2. Rock drops pass from Campbell
    3. Jarmon sacks Campbell
    4. Campbell incomplete pass
    5. Shelton catches 10 yards from Campbell for Touchdown
    6. Dutch breaks up pass to Mitchell
    7. 17 yard reception to Mitchell