Smith ready for third-year surge

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by TDJets72027, Aug 9, 2007.

1. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

http://www.sf49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=3259&section=PR News

2. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

he looked clean yesterday...He was throwing the ball on point everywhere..and he was releasing the ball well before his receivers were making their breaks....he looked more confident and comfortable than previous years

3. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Good to hear.

I assume you were at TC, Barl?

4. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

Yeah..Superbeast and I headed down there yesterday..part of the club 49 VIP crew....hit the morning and afternoon practices...

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Did you guys take notes or have any comments about what you saw that would make an interesting thread?

6. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

possibly...I'll post something and we'll see...

7. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

I expect 3,500 yards 25 td's and 18 ints from Smith.

8. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

could definitely be a possibility, but I still see those TD/INT numbers being closer together...

9. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

I posted on the niners board 18-20 INTS and 22-25 TD'S around that mark. He needs to step up this year no more excuses.

10. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

he's definitely got the receiving weapons this year..this is his make or break year IMO...

11. Red&Gold

Red&Gold Starter

To a point I agree, but I wouldn't phrase it as make or break. Smith has proven he can start in the NFL. What he's now got to prove is that he can actually win games (like he did against Seattle last season) instead of just handing off to Gore. I'm not saying that's all he did last season, but we all know our running game was more dangerous than our passing game.

Smith needs to now take it to another level and show he's not merely in the "won't lose you a game" category.

12. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

he lost us a few games because of his arm....Green Bay game for one...

13. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

No more excuses for him this year....I hate when people blame his faults on his age.

14. Red&Gold

Red&Gold Starter

Smith didn't play very well, but he didn't lose us that game.

15. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

Well that is true but he didn't help either.

16. Digitool

Digitool Graphic Artist

I don't care, he can throw 50 INTs as long as our team as a whole gels and wins games. Smith has impressed in camp, showing maturity and is looking better than last year and we still managed 7 wins with a tougher schedule. With the whole team improving and the schedule getting "easier" you never know. But as far as smith goes... I just want to see him mature and make better leadership decisions and be able to be one of those guys you can trust in the 4th quarter down by a touchdown to march us down the field and get us back in a game, or pick away confidently at defenses when the pressure rises.

17. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

Nice sig Digi...

Hopefully he has that 4th quarter defining game in the playoffs...

18. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

He throws 50 ints we're heck no matter what the rest of the team does and you know that but you are right hope he gels.

19. Digitool

Digitool Graphic Artist

well yeah, i know, obvious exaggeration lol but still...

and thanks about the sig..

20. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

Lets see how the new WR's produce this year. I dont care who your QB is... if you dont have anyone to throw to, he will not produce.