Sources: Phils To Get Lee From Indians

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by ketbuckfan, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

MLB trade: Cliff Lee traded to Philadelphia Phillies by Cleveland Indians - ESPN

2. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

yeah, we have been talking about this in the phillies thread, lol would rather have halladay, but I complained last year when we got Blanton and he was perfect and has been our best pitcher this year.

3. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

I do not know who the players are that the Phillies had to give up but I would hope its not the same asking price as Hallady was.

4. mike oxlong

no they were asking for Drabek and Happ along with our top outfield prospect dominic brown. the guys they gave up were 4 of our top 10 prospects as listed in the preseason rankings of prospects, but marson was supposed to take the next step as our catcher of the future this year and just hasn't, carrasco was our #2 prospect going into this year but just hasn't put it all together yet. I liked Knapp, but he was still at single A, scouts were calling him a halladay clone at 6-5 and he is only 18. With Rollins and a decent depth at SS prospects made donald expendable. Supposedly we have another nice catcher prospect in D'Arnaud.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

why are lee and francisco still in the indians dugout, watching the game. If they are traded, shouldn't they not be in the dugout with the team?

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It's because the trade isn't official yet. It's pending physicals and reviews of medical histories.

6. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Dammit. I was really hoping the Rays would snag Lee.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

They gave up heck all for Lee...A STEAL! Carrasco & Marson were the only players mentioned in any of the Blue Jays' trades and the Jays wanted neither of them...

8. DawkinsINT

The trade just became official moments ago. :buttrock:

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

ROCK ON RUBEN!!!! Making it happen!!!!

10. DawkinsINT

Yeah, Ruben did a great job with this one.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Let's see if he can follow it up with a bench player to replace Bruntlett...

12. DawkinsINT

That would be awesome, but at least he's already gotten us a better pinch hitter off the bench.

13. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

I like this deal for the most part but I think we gave up a lot of great talent. The only thing I want to see happen is Ruben sign Lee after 2010. I don't want him to become a free agent.

I'm also thrilled we didn't have to give up Happ. I was sweating that!

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think they could extend him if they want. Francisco could wind up being a pretty good player as well.

The talent that the Phils gave up, I feel, was "all talk, no action" type talent. They had the potential but never stepped it up. Knapp will be interesting to see how he turns out.

Cliff Lee blows his arm out in his first start and Knapp goes on to be the next Nolan Ryan...that would blow...lol...

15. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

Don't curse us!

I'm always afraid of us trading the next J Roll

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's just nice to see that the Phils actually have talent in the farm system...talent that other teams want.

17. mike oxlong

Knapp has been said to be a halladay clone and he is only 18. I know we are still high on D'Arnaud as a future catcher which made marsen expendable. I am just glad that we didn't have to give up dominic brown, that dude has power and speed and will be a beast one day. Carrasco had the best fastball and changeup in our minor league system. He will be a starter in the majors, 100%. I'm surprised more people aren't upset about Jason Donald. He was our 4th best prospect and our third baseman of the future. Hopefully 2008 first round pick Anthony Hewitt can take that place as our future 3b.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't mind so much giving up Knapp. Obviously, we'll all keep an eye on him to see how he turns out. I'm with you on Dominic Brown...he'll be nasty! I didn't want to give up Drabek either.

It all goes back to getting proven talent for prospects...which I'm all for. If Lee helps get the Phils to the World Series...I'm all for it...

19. mike oxlong

I just don't understand why the indians would want marson, they have stud catching prospect Carlos Santana due to be ready next year. I thought that's why they were shopping martinez.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

What's Martinez' contract like? Does it end soon?