Sources Say The Lakers Are Interested In Dwight Howard And Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

It is no secret that the Los Angeles Lakers would like to trade for Dwight Howard or Chris Paul, but sources with knowledge of the situation say the Lakers actually have something greater in mind: acquiring both players.Hoping to pull off a pair of blockbuster moves that would rock the NBA, the Lakers are willing to trade anyone on their roster outside of Kobe Bryant to bring Howard and Paul to Los Angeles, two sources said.Whether the Lakers are able to make it happen remains to be seen, but with stars Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom on the roster, they have the talent and the financial capacity to make the trades work.

Source: ESPN

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

If they get both then I'll just go ahead and call that game over. That's basically what they are missing. A true point and a physical presence down low. It doesn't get any more physical than Howard and Paul is a top 2 or 3 point. Teams would have to send guys into the post to stop Dwight Howard which would free up Kobe on the outside. And Dwight Howard at Center and Pau Gasol at PF? Talk about a team with size.

That being said, I'd be shocked if they got both.

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

They won't get both, Hornets and Magic will both want Bynum in return as the main piece.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

i hope it happens, it will help bury the league even further as there will only five good teams in the league.

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Meh. Aren't all the NBA teams in the league interested in Howard and Paul?

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

do those teams have kobe as a bargining chip ?

7. Steve12

They aren't trading Kobe. They'll give up anyone but Kobe.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

that's not what i meant. the lakers are using the chance to team up with kobe as a bargining chip. no other team can do that.

9. Crowned

What? This is a trade, the players have no say in it. Orlando and New Orleans could care less who they are sending their players to play with, it's about who are they getting in return. Now when they are free agents in 2012, that's a whole nother story.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

oh yes they do, if paul and howard dont like the situation they'd be going to they can nix the trade by saying they won't sign a new deal with the possible trade partner.

carmello anthony dictated his destination that way.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  11. Steve12

Even with Kobe as a bargaining chip the Lakers don't have enough talent to trade for both of them. Plus you have to match up the contracts and whatnot.

12. Crowned

That's completely against your point. You were saying they may want to play with Kobe. I'm sure they do, but they have no say in it the teams aren't going to pull the triggers if they aren't getting what they want in return.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

i thought something changed in the cba where the contracts dont have to match up as much ? :dunno:

regardless you're right on the lack of talent the lakers can give up. draft picks wouldnt mean rod either considering the top three picks if that are the only players worth a rod.

so they can just wait till next season and sign them both.

no matter though to me cause i think the nba blows. its street ball at this point. i can watch the same game for free at any local court.

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

you're not getting my point - if the players are there for the other teams to pull the trigger paul and howard can still nix the deal if they do not want to go to the other team by refusing to sign a new deal and just wait till they're free agents.

example - the sixers & new orleans agree on a trade that sends igoudala, jrue holliday and a 1st round pick to new orleans for chris paul.

chris paul says heck you i'm not signing a new deal with the sixers. the sixers pull out of the deal.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  15. Crowned

Yea I know that, but I was referring too no matter how much the players may want to play with kobe, the teams offices could care less and they both probably want Bynum. Yes they can wait til next off-season and the Lakers can actually afford both which is scary. They wouldnt even have to take a paycut.

16. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

sixers got evan turner with the 2nd overall pick the guy sucks ass

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

we were debating two different points.

yep, i see both waiting till next year and then signing there. crap the lakers could still win it all again this season without those guys. imagine the lakers with those three. could bynum play forward ?

18. Crowned

I don't think Bynum could play PF, I think they would probably deal Bynum if they got Howard. then they could bring in several role players.

19. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

if they get both they will be the new big 3. but im sure they will only land 1 if any

20. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

We know how the first Big 3 turned out, don't we?