Speculation Increases That The Jaguars Could Be The 'London Team'

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by DaBears22, Jun 7, 2013.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell continues to talk favorably about London, apparently with eyes toward eventually having an NFL franchise in jolly old England in the not too distant future.

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora speculates that that franchise could eventually be the Jacksonville Jaguars, who are scheduled to face the San Francisco 49ers in Wembley Stadium this year.

The Jaguars are in a small market, and in the past have had issues with ticket sales, though that has greatly stabilized over the past couple of years. Still, they are third banana in their own home state, and have often been mentioned as a prime candidate for a move, even in the speculation of relocating a team to Los Angeles.

Moving an NFL team to London would be a bold move, whether it is the Jaguars or anyone else.

Source: National Football Post

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Re: Speculation Increases That The Jags Could Be The 'London Team'

yep, they have been my prime suspect since goodell first hinted that he would like a team there.

from a geographic standpoint, the London team would make more sense in one of the East divisions of the league, though. Indy, Tenn, and Houston have to travel an extra 1000 miles to get to London every year than the teams in the Northeast part of the country.

If they do this, I know it would be weird, but it would almost make sense to flip-flop divisions with the dolphins and the london jaguars.

speaking of which, does something like this need to be approved by the NFLPA ? I know the players do not even like the one game a year travel to England. What if there were 8 games a year there?

And think about the total mileage that the london team would be traveling. geez, they would be in a constant state of jet lag throughout the entire season.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

You raise a lot of important questions, things I think will obviously make it a really rocky, unpopular move..

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I've gotta think they'd do something like big blocks of games at home to alleviate that, maybe even all 8 in one run and then stay stateside for 8? That would be crazy but I can't see them hopping the pond every other week or two, as you said, the jetlag would be murderous.

5. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Imagne how many bonus-miles they will collect. Godell will never have to pay for a flight again, if they all will be added to his account :icon_mrgreen:

6. CaptainStubing

That would definitely help. At the very least, like you say, do 4/4/4/4 and make sure their bye is during one of their return trips back to England since eastward travel is typically worse with the jet lag.

they could have their practice facility in london when they are playing games over there and then have a U.S. practice facility when they are over here, positioned somewhere close to their division rivals for less travel.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not to mention a young draft pick gets selected and "shipped" to London...where they have basically no family and no "support" group because of it.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

9. CaptainStubing

eh, owners have changed their minds many times in the past. especially considering goodell would probably encourage an owner to move their team to London by offering to give them some extra league money to do so.

i hope they don't expand in order to do this. i think 32 teams is plenty.

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

For some young players, it would be better if they didn't have their support group around :icon_wink:

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

True...

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Was more of a "rolling my eyes at that thread" than anything else...