Steelers Sign DT Cam Thomas From The Chargers

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by mnagy, Mar 14, 2014.

1. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed former Chargers DT Cam Thomas to a two-year deal. Terms not released as of this post. Thomas, 27, was selected in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Chargers. Thomas, aka Baby Zilla, appeared in all 16 games for San Diego last season and totaled 23 tackles and an […]

Read the whole post here.

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Depth.

3. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

Yep...I agree with that!

4. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Better then shellig out stupid money for Raji

Nix would be a good get

5. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

Yes, he was relatively 'cheap' and they need to save their $ for a more coveted player...

6. Jihad Joe

Two guys I really like at NT are Nix obviously and Daquan Jones. Jones did well at PSU anchoring and his times in the agility drills at the combine are par with 4-3 3 Techs. IMO he is a guy that with the right coach could thrive as both a 2 gap and a 1 gap NT in the NFL. I like him much better then McCullers

Right now he looks like a 2nd or 3rd

mnagy likes this.
  7. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

I like Nix but not overly enamored with him as the 15th pick when there are so many good players available...I know they need to address the DL but a little bit of reach this high...I would prefer Aaron Donald who I know personally...He's faster (ran a 4.65 40-time) at combine, proven pass rusher, national defensive player of year with 26.5 tackles for loss and has great agility and mobility for a big man (top 5 three-cone drill at combine). Nix is a good run clogger but not a great pass rusher and may not play all downs...Jones is more suited for a 4-3 like at PSU, not a 3-4 with the Steelers...Not a true NT or DE...McCullers doesn't excite me either

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Can Thomas play DE? I'd love to see Nix as the Steelers pick...

9. Jihad Joe

Donald wont be able to play in a 3-4. He isnt gonna be able to play with the leverage you need to be a 5 Tech and will get washed out of plays

Jones IMO would be a better NT in the NFL then a 1 Tech in a 4-3. He reminds me of a poor mans Wilfork. Stong enough to clog lanes and push the pocket, quick enough to attack a gap

No way Nix comes off the field in passing situations. He wont finish sacks, but few NTs ive seen in the past few years pushes the pocket like he does. That's Nix biggest draw to an NFL team. QBs will be under duress right from the snap most passing plays and wont be able to step im the pocket. IMO thats how you effectivly run a 3-4 and not the Wade Phillips/Jay Ratliff crap fest where the NT is an undersized pass rusher, can get 6 sacks, 25 pressures and washed out of every other play.

10. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

Good point! Depends on def scheme...not sure what the stillers will do...if they stockpile DL esp DT/NT in fa can't see them drafting one too

11. Jihad Joe

Its still hard to have a top 3-4 without a top NT. They dont have one. Nix may or may not be their guy or they may feel they need to fill other needs, but IMO they need to take a hard look at hom

12. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

If they can draft one like they did w hampton that would remedy the situation

13. Jihad Joe

Nix is a much better prospect right now then Hampton was coming out of Texas. IMO better prospect then Taylor was and safer then Poe was

14. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

Carrington had a good visit...i do think he would be an upgrade to what they have now...when healthy he has been very productive vs run and pass...we'll see

15. Jihad Joe

Always liked Carrington. Excellent weakside 5 Tech

16. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

Yep...to be continued...look for my post if the news breaks...also check my prof for more info on my biz

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm not sure Nix is even an option on their draft board now with McClendon and Thomas now in the picture. There are just too many holes to fill on this team...

18. mnagy

mnagy Steelers Writer

I agree...Too many good players at 15