Super Bowl LVIII

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Jan 29, 2024.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I miss the good old days in which I didn't have to double check the roman numerals...

So we have a Super Bowl rematch in our hands. San Francisco opened as 2.5 favorites but I checked this morning and the line was down to 1. I believe the Chiefs will end up favored when gameday comes.

I find Super Bowl rematches kind of boring. Feels like a re-run of your favorite show..."been there, done that". In my lifetime almost every team that won the first time also won the second one, with one exception: The 2017 Philadelphia Eagles, God bless them. But in all others the series went 2-0:

49ers over Bengals
    Cowboys over Bills
    Giants over Patriots
    Patriots over Rams

Let me know if I forgot one...Cowboys vs. Steelers was a trilogy and the third one happened almost 20 year after the second one. It doesn't count. Neither does Dolphins and Washington because I wasn't born at the time.

So this is it...the one that cements Mahomes and Reid's legacy, and the Chiefs dinasty will be official. Oh yeah, the Chiefs are absolutelly winning. No doubt in my mind. My 10-2 record in the playoffs proves it. All I'm worried about now is if Taylor Swift will make it to the game on time...she has a concert in Tokyo the day before, you know.

The pick is Chiefs. I'll do it when I see a line I like. Also...super bowl prop bets!! Yay!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It can't be understated how vocally I will be rooting for the Chiefs.

TJ likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Speaking of prop bets, and because I'm bored right now...

My favorite one is probably that there will be a safety in the game. After a stretch 10 years ago in which like 3 straight Super Bowls had a safety, we haven't have one since. It always pays in the +1000s and I can't wait to put 5 bucks on it.

Also, whatever o/u they set on Mahomes passing yards I'll probably take the under this time. It's not about him anymore and the 49ers have a good pass defense.

If I can parlay 49ers winning the 1st half and Chiefs winning the game, you can be sure I'll get some action on it.

Do you have any favorite bets?

DawkinsINT likes this.
  4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

My pick is in. The line has stopped moving and I was kind of hoping it went a little further. Here we go:

Chiefs (+2) over 49ers.

Quick reasoning:

1) Never bet against Mahomes under any circumstances
    2) Kyle Shanahan, the biggest lie in football history, will certainly blow it again. That's why I'm parlaying 49ers to win the first half and Chiefs to win the game.
    3) Anyone but the 49ers, PLEASE.

That's it. Not much to think about. Let's finally win the playoff challenge.

Last week: 2-0
    Overall: 10-2

DawkinsINT likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The NFL awards are slowly becoming a joke. I can understand the narrative to give the MVP to Lamar over Dak, but then you use the EXACT OPPOSITE standard to give the DPOY to Myles Garrett over Micah Parsons, or TJ Watt.

And to top it all, they gave the comeback player of the year to Joe Flacco over a guy who literally came back from the dead...

This just can't be taken seriously anymore. It's about narratives now...everything is...it's so annoying.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  6. DawkinsINT

The only award that means anything is the SB trophy.

TJ likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yeah, but MVP used to mean something. Defensive player too...I never really cared about the others. I just can't believe they don't give Dak any credit. He had better numbers, he had a top 2 seed, which usually are the "requisites"....or were. Now apparently it's about the strength of victories or something. I don't know, it feels unfair but then again, I'm a little biased here...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I had 20 bucks to spare and saw the odds for Travis Kelce for MVP are at +900 so I said what the heck... I'm banking on a Chiefs win (of course) and some Mahomes fatigue. Maybe he gets a couple TDs...maybe he has like 10 catches like in the Championship game. If it's borderline, they're absolutelly giving it to him so Taylor can be in the shot when they tape him saying he's going to Disneyland.

I'm out for the weekend...will be back on sunday to count my losses. Enjoy the super bowl!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  9. DawkinsINT

You too, Teej. Good luck!

TJ likes this.
  10. DawkinsINT

"Joe Flacco was named NFL Comeback Player of the Year over Damar Hamlin. Which only goes to show that, in pro football, returning to play after standing at the brink of death is less impressive than leading the Cleveland #Browns to the playoffs."
    https://x.com/MikeSielski/status/1755975441104732362?s=20

TJ likes this.
  11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

3 minutes left in the 3rd. Shanahan is working his magic again, BEGGING the Chiefs to take the game. Reíd and Mahomes have to wake up.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

KYLE JUZKIYAZCYCCAZZYZZZ OR WHATEVER WITH THE DEZ CATCH!!! BUT THIS TIME IT WAS RULED A CATCH!!!

I WANT TO HANG MYSELF!!!!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

11-2. Playoff challenge won. Doubtful that Kelce is named MVP but my parlay of SF 1st half + KC to win hit big and this has been my most profitable gambling season ever. Maybe next year I'll do 20 bucks instead of 10 XD.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  14. DawkinsINT

Both teams were pretty sloppy throughout the game. Seems like another Chiefs championship when they weren’t the best team.

TJ likes this.
  15. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

DawkinsINT and TJ like this.
  16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Apparently the 49ers players had no idea how the OT rules in the playoffs worked. Another awesome coaching job by the biggest lie in football history, but he gets all the excuses because his daddy was a good one.

He has choked away a double digit lead in the super bowl THREE TIMES!! Still considered a genius and an awesome coach. I don't understand. If he did that with...say, another team, the memes would be ENDLESS.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  17. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Chump, my friend, that's the rule I've lived by the whole postseason the past 2 years. The Chiefs were underdogs in 3 of their 4 playoff games. They won all four.

I'd add another rule "never bet on a Kyle Shanahan coached team". Sure, the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl, but they were 0-3 ATS these playoffs. I don't understand why Vegas keeps giving them 7 or even 10 point lines. It's like they're begging us to take their money.

If I wasn't such a homer I would've gone perfect this postseason. I saw some lines that didn't make much sense...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  18. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

When undecided, it's always good policy to bet on the team with the better coach and better quarterback.

DawkinsINT and TJ like this.
  19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I wish I was kidding, but there are people who actually think Shanahan is a better coach than Reid. I swear to God, unless there's a layer of sarcasm I don't understand. Some of the takes I read lately are designed to drive you insane.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

So much has been said about the image of Kelce yelling at Reid during the game. Some guys like Dez Bryant and AJ Brown have come out and said that if it was them they'd be crucified. Kelce gets a pass because they won and...well, THAT other reason...you know the one...

My take is this is normal to some extent. Kelce is a veteran leader, this is the Super Bowl...emotions are at an all time high. I don't have a problem with it but I understand those who do...

Since they won, they got to shrug it off...Kelce said he loves Reid, Reid said he didn't even notice, it's all fun and games...