Super Bowl XLVII: San Francisco 49ers Vs Baltimore Ravens (Sunday, Feb. 3rd, 2013)

Discussion in 'NFL Gameday' started by SRW, Jan 20, 2013.

?

Who Will Win Super Bowl XLVII?

1. San Francisco 49ers

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Baltimore Ravens

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Mike Perreira agreed with the Atlanta call and so did I. What he said was that Bowman had a right to that space on the field when the first contact took place. What I saw when I watched it back a few times, cause it did look "weird," was that Bowman has a hand on the back arm, but he wasn't pulling. It was more like placing your hand on a guy's back, in basketball, when he's in the post. Then he knocks the ball down with his other hand. Additionally, the ball was behind White as well and he would have had to completely turn around to catch it as well, which he didn't do.

Last night's play was very different. If you observe, Crabtree approaches the DB and the DB cuts off the middle of the field. They both engage for a second and Crab motions to the outside. At that point, the DB grabs his hips from behind and Crab re-engages and is trying to push him away (I don't feel that this was incidental contact). Which the DB, after slowing Crab down finally lets go. In my opinion, that was holding and if the ball had been a little lower would've definitely been PI. I think the ref knew there was holding, but because the ball was at the sideline thought it was uncatchable so he didn't call PI. If there wasn't a hold, and knowing Crab's skill set, I think he definitely gets to that ball and catches it with toes dragging from the end zone to out of bounds.

But as someone else stated (probably not knowing that I had already conceded that they weren't calling plays like this the whole game), there were mistakes all throughout the game that lead to the position they were in. LMJ's fumble. The kickoff return. The missed 2 point conversion, which if we had gotten that, we could've tied it on 4th down at the end. A few missed throws and drops. And the reason for a lot of those mistakes, was Baltimore being a very good team. They made mistakes too. Our defense really stepped in up in the 2nd half as did the offense. I just feel like we needed to be more explosive in the first half. Our team is built to wear teams down, which is why we've played so much better in the 2nd halves of all these playoff games.

And as far as SB MVP, I think an argument could be made for Boldin. That guy made tough catch after tough catch last night. Even though Crabtree and VD had great efforts and results, especially on the 30 yard TD catch, I felt that Boldin was the best WR on the field last night and arguably best player. Him, Flacco impressed me with his toughness (kind of reminded me of Big Ben with his ability to extend soem plays and take some hits and get right back up), Kaepernick really had the heater going (even impressed my 9er-hating brother-in-law who never has a nice thing to say about them lol- Rams fan btw).

This is long-winded, but another note... anyone who says that SB was terrible, boring, crappy, etc. is just envious because their team was watching it on the tv just like they were. That is all

2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Don't agree with this. Balt was in an all-out blitz. They had a different play called, but Kaep audibled because he recognized that Crab was one-on-one outside. He let it go "early" because in another millisecond he was going to be hit by the defender who got through the line cleanly. Crab was going for the ball, but was being held back. When I ran track and field, we'd do certain drills where you have resistance bands around your waist and someone is pulling the bands while you're trying to run (you both end up looking like idiots while doing this btw :) ). I envision that's how it felt for him. And as we've seen from Jim all season long, it doesn't take long for him to rip into a ref :wink:

All and all, we can discuss this til we're blue in the face, but the fact remains that the game is over. I'm excited to see what the FO does to help us win next year. Excited to see what our offense is becoming. Look how close we got without Hunter, K. Williams, Manningham and D. Dobbs... and of course zero production (but hopefully a lot of development) from AJJ. Excited for a stronger challenge next year, especially with the development of the NFC West. I always disliked it when people would say that we only won, because the NFC West was the worst conference in football (which it probably was:) ). That really can't be said with any validity anymore. And lastly I hope we're going to play really pissed off next year... not let off the gas at all.

Congrats to the Ravens. You guys had a great season. I'm a believer in Flacco now. Don't like the guy, but he's definitely a player when it matters.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

After thinking about that last series for the Niners, Jim Harbaugh pretty much lost that game for them IMO. The plays they ran, took the ball out of three of there best players "hands." No Frank Gore rush attempt. No Kaepernick designed run and no attempt to get the ball to Vernon Davis, who was the best receiver on the night.

Harbaugh tries to win with play design and schemes before trying to win the game with their best players.

Another thing about that game is that the inexperience of Kaepernick really showed. There was one play...I think the third down play, Moss was wide open on a slant play and Kaepernick missed it. He'll watch the tape and see a lot of stuff he missed. He's only going to get better.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

the underlined part is the most shocking part of it all. that makes no sense at all. in fact, i think all 3 of their final offensive plays were designed passes to crabtree.

i think on the rollout on the 3rd down, they 'thought' they were giving Kaep an opportunity to make something happen but all that did all night was shut things down for him. he needs space.

jim was outcoached by his brother last night.

5. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I just read the red zone numbers for Kaep and Flacco... huge difference. Kaep had a 1.8 QBR, which is horrible. Totally agree that Vernon should've been involved in the red zone plans. Or trying to do something other than going to the right side of the field 3 consecutive times.

6. ram29jackson

ram29jackson sports spectator

I believe the NFC was the weaker conference this year because 2 teams with rookie QBs and one with a second year QB made the playoffs.

Kaepernick threw for 300 yrds but it was 300 really useless yards in the end because he couldnt finish in the red zone . His inexperience was a major factor in the loss no matter how you try to bend the numbers.

and for the record, the average team age of the niners was older then the Ravens.

whats funny is...2 of Flacco's longest passes was while he was running :icon_cheesygrin: the TD at end of first half and the deep ball to Boldin ( I think it was Boldin ? )

...add Randy Moss to line up and lose a Super Bowl. Its happened twice now.

7. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

even if they called whatever pistol read option running play the ravens were still running cover 0 with all gaps being filled and rushing more guys than the 9ers had blocking

they had to throw the ball at then end

8. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

randy moss losing is the ice on the cake lol

9. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

On the bright side this was my favorite commercial.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d8ZDSyFS2g]Doritos® - Goat 4 Sale -- Crash the Super Bowl 2013 Finalist - YouTube[/ame]

10. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

Thanks guys! congrats to all the Niners fans for a great season! man it feels good to be Champs!

11. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Sorry, Sweets. We'll have to agree to disagree. Steve12, too. A local radio guy was reading the approval ratings for the SB ads, and that ad got an 80-90% approval rating.

12. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I don't care what the ratings are, that Ram commercial was just way too long I loved the Taco Bell one with the old people OMG I laughed my butt off.

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Thanx CS, enjoy the win...we'll get you guys next year..lol

14. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I can't believe you people are still voting who will win YESTERDAYS game...losers!!! 2 people so far this afternoon picked Ravens...duhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

15. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Hell of a game that was. Lame commercials and the best second half of football I have seen in a very long time. Watching that game, to me, it seemed like San Fran was not playing their type of football on defense. Don't know if it was nerves or because of what the Ravens were doing but they seemed to be reacting instead of dictating the flow. It is a shame that one team had to lose but both teams seem stacked for a prolonged run in the near future. Should be a good season next year. Now time to put away the jerseys and start doing household chores again. Can't believe it has been 6 months already. These next 6 months will pass by more slowly than the last 6 months.

16. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

The moving the SB to Sat. night in prime time won't happen immediately. It's still a few years away from happening. But, I think it will happen eventually. $$$$ talks.

17. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I think moving the SB to Saturday is stupid...most people are out living life at least on Sunday's everyone is home because of work the next day. I do think they should start the game earlier though..

18. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

Would love to see a rematch, we'll be ready...but first let us get some LB's that can cover lol

19. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

He had a FISTFULL of jersey. Look at it from the angle that shows the front of Crabtree. His jersey is pulled out in his fist. Seriously, how could you not call that? Bowman was w/in 5 yards and was contacting while playing the ball. Bowman could have gone either way, Crabs was obviously a hold.

20. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

Good post. I basically say this only less winded and everyone wants to jump my crap:icon_rolleyes:

BTW, while I wasn't THIS pissed, I was still plenty pissed when the NFL handed the SB to the Steelers against Seattle (and for that reason I think it is the least satisfying SB I remember), as well as the BS tuck rule (even though I was rooting for the Pats)

As I said, Bal deserved the win and I'm not trying to take anything away from them, but to say that poor officiating had no effect and I have no reason to be pissed about it is BS.