TE Martellus Bennett, Bears Agree To Terms

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Sweets, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Despite a late push by the New York Giants to keep Martellus Bennett, the tight end is headed to the Windy City. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Chicago Bears have agreed in principle to a contact with the tight end.

"I'm proud to say I'll be joining my other brother @bmarshall next season. #BEARDOWN ," Bennett tweeted as free agency kicked off at 4:00 pm ET Tuesday.

Coming off career highs in receptions (55), yards (626) and touchdowns (5) in his first season with the Giants, Bennett was arguably the top all-around tight end on the market behind Tony Gonzalez. As a solid blocker with size and athleticism, he's a better fit for head coach Marc Trestman's offense than the other available tight ends.

Source: NFL.com

2. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

3. DatR3al

DatR3al No Days Off

This isn't good.

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Nice move by the Bears.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Since when was Gonzalez on the market?

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

lord knows cutler needs receiving help .......... not sure cutler ever looks at the tight end though. has cutler ever thrown the ball to the te much?

7. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

He made Scheffler decent.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, i suppose scheffler had some 'ok' years with cutler i guess. cutler just never strikes me as a tight end guy. he's always looking at the sidelines it seems. but with chicago's lack of serviceable receivers, he may make a point to get the ball to bennett a lot.

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Another thing that helps Cutler is that Tellus may be the best blocking TE in the NFL. It's almost like having a 2nd OT out there

Sent from my HTC Vivid

10. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

As bad as the O line has been, another blocker doesn't hurt.

11. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

A legit run blocking & pass catching TE? How long has that wait been...

Turning sound bites into reality:

"We need a tight end that can threaten the defense. We need a tight end that can create stress in the middle of the field or wherever we place him because we're going to line him up next to the tackle," Bears tight ends coach Andy Bischoff said back when the team introduced the new staff. "We're going to line him up outside the numbers. We're going to line up in the backfield, and we're going to expect the defense to figure it out.

"So we need a receiver who can catch the ball, and we need a receiver who can block enough to be lined up in the backfield if we put him there. The days of the tight end that blocked and ran flat routes in this league are coming to an end. The guys that just run 3-yard flat routes, that's not going to do anything for you."

Link

Time to put the fans still whining over the loss of that 1/2 a TE Olsen to bed...