Teammates, Coaches Back Panthers QB Cam Newton's Bold Statements

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by SRW, Dec 9, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Quarterback Cam Newton’s comments about trying to change the Panthers’ losing mentality don’t bother Steve Smith. The outspoken veteran receiver said the Panthers could use more of that type of attitude, and pointed to Newton as one of several new players who have helped begin to change the locker room climate. "It doesn’t bother me at all,"Smith told The Charlotte Observer. "I’d rather have a guy who is upset that we lost, obviously handling it the right way, than a guy who is neither way, whichever way. "I like a guy who has the desire not to win next year, but he wants to win immediately. I think we needed more of that." Smith's not the only member of the Panthers organization getting Newton's back, either. Head coach Ron Rivera is firmly on board with the notion that the culture in Charlotte needs to change. "To me, the thing I like about it more than anything is it's important, it really is," Rivera said. "It's the old saying that if you didn't put your heart into it, it wouldn't hurt. He does. He puts everything into it. To me, there is no issue. I still struggle when I hear people talking about the stuff with that and the towel and that stuff, it doesn't make sense to me." When Rivera refers to "the towel" he's discussing the inexplicable need for anyone covering a Panthers game to discuss the fact that Newton wears a towel on his head in between offensive series.

Source: CBS Sports