Texans Sign Veteran QB Jake Delhomme

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sweets, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Houston Texans have signed veteran quarterback Jake Delhomme, Rick Smith, Delhomme's agent, announced on Twitter. After losing both Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart to season-ending injuries, the 36-year-old Delhomme worked out alongside 41-year-old Jeff Garcia for a spot as the veteran quarterback on a Texans roster that has 2011 fifth-round pick T.J. Yates as the starter and newly-signed Kellen Clemens as the No. 2 quarterback. "We’ve got a young quarterback and a backup who’s been here for four days," head coach Gary Kubiak said on Monday. "So we’ve got to find some experience, somebody who’s been in a few rodeos, and make sure we’re preparing for down the road." Delhomme has completed nearly 60 percent of 2,904 pass attempts for for 20,764 yards with 125 touchdowns and 101 interceptions during his 10-year career with the New Orleans Saints, Carolina Panthers and Cleveland Browns, where he started four games in 2010.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, they needed to sign him quickly to get him in there learning the playbook. if yates is a total failure, they will need him to take the field in a couple of weeks to save their season. fortunately for the texans, their schedule isn't real hard.

3. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

AI hope to God TJ Yates is good, because Jake Delhomme will kill the Texans. I should know, I watched him kill the Panthers back in the 08-09 season. I cried after that NFC divisional against Arizona

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yet I'm sure you loved him when he took them to the Super Bowl...

5. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

I never have really thought he was the main factor in that team. We had a great defense, a great running game, and it was just a year where everything just came together, until the Pats cheated in the Super Bowl. And even WITH the Pats cheating, we still almost won.

6. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

...Texans are going to fall apart now...

7. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

loljakedehlomme

8. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

exactly

9. CaptainStubing

well, we all know delhomme blows but the texans really had no choice ........ there was no one better out there that was available. yates could easily blow even worse than delhomme ........... i know it would be difficult to do, but it could (ask the chiefs how their back-up qb has been doing)

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Still don't think it's a terrible move to get another veteran in there.

11. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

wow gotta say this is a blast from the past. THis just shows how desperate the Texans are for a quarterback

12. CaptainStubing

yep, and it's so late in the season, it's not like they can trade for someone. the texans were stuck between a rock and a hard place. they really didn't have a lot of choices out there.

13. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

Garcia would never help younger QBs on his team, we needed a mentor to help Yates get his feet under him. TJ Yates will be good, a lot better than Leinart, just the Falcons will be a tough team to get your 1st start against.

14. CaptainStubing

yates will be better than leinart? that's a strong statement. i'm not a big leinart fan by any means but we have no idea what yates is going to do on the field yet. i'm sure his coaches are going to run a similar game plan that they ran with leinart (simple plays, simple reads, minimize mistakes, etc.) but we're not sure if yates can do much more than that.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree Captain. There's a reason Leinart was above Yates on the depth chart. I kinda feel bad for Leinart...word is that he finally has gotten his "act" together and then this...

16. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

Ya wanna know who sucked worse than anyone? Chris Weinke

17. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Jake Delhomme? No thanks! Give me Jeff Garcia!

18. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

they would be in a good position had they signed Garcia, imo.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Garcia would never be able to get the ball downfield to Johnson. Maybe if it's under 15 yards...anything longer, he struggles.

20. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

NC runs a smaller version of the Texans offense, TJ Yates has ran that sytem and studied film of Matt Schaub in college. A very smart QB who is much more mobile than either Matt, and has better arm strength than both as well. He is being coached up by 2 outstanding QB coaches in Kubiak & Gregg Knapp, along with Matt Schaubs input, and he knows how to throw to big premeir receivers like Hakeem Nicks. Yates will have a great chemistry with Andre Johnson, the only question will be how quickly he can adapt to NFL & how many mistakes it will take to learn from. With the experience he is about to get there is a real chance there will be a starting QB competition in the pre-season next year.