The 2023 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Jan 27, 2023.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Here it is, the one thread we'll be using from february to august or september :D

Like in the other post...Frank Reich is the new Head Coach in Carolina. Steve Wilks got a raw deal again. He was this close of making the playoffs as an interin coach. Hope he catches a break soon.

In the Cowboys side of things, half the coaching staff was let go. Dan Quinn announced he's coming back (none of his guys were fired), and Kellen Moore is still in "we shall see" mode. After missing out in Carolina, he's expected to talk to Jerry and McCarthy today. I wouldn't be surprised if he's let go. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back either. He's like everything in this team: Average.

Free agency is 2 months away. Should be interesting...

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Rumor is that DeMeco Ryans is the leading candidate the Texans HC job. That's more good news for the Eagles as most likely it will mean Gannon will stay on as DC. It would be great to keep both of our coordinators.

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Kellen Moore won't be back as the Cowboys OC and now I expect whatever team he signs with to have the #1 offense and win the Super Bowl next year, just to prove my point.

They say Mike McCarthy will call the offense now. God help us...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  4. DawkinsINT

So Tom Brady retired again. It would be nice for your Cowboys to be the one to send him off with a defeat, TJ.

TJ likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yes! And that's the reason I hope it's for real this time!! We retired the GOAT, our biggest achievement in 28 years!!

Something I've learned is after you turn 40 everything hurts more than it used to. I think he's not coming back, and he should start his Canton speech for 2028.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  6. DawkinsINT

Colts hire Shane Steichen as their HC. I was hoping that he would stay even though I knew it was a long shot.

Interesting coaching changes between Colts and Eagles in recent years:

February 2018: Colts hire Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich as head coach
    January 2021: Eagles hire Colts offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni as head coach
    February 2023: Colts hire Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen as head coach

TJ likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I really wanted them to keep Jeff Saturday just for the heck of xD.

Those two previous hires worked out pretty well for both teams (I think Reich got a rough deal in Indy with their rent-a-QB approach...he should do better in Carolina), and anything that affects the Eagles is fine by me.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. DawkinsINT

The Cardinals have now hired Jonathan Gannon as their HC. Both Eagles coordinators gone. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles replace them from within their current coaches. I don't mind losing Gannon. I wish we could have held onto Steichen though.

TJ likes this.
  9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

That's the cost of having such a successful season...except if you're the Chiefs. I think they've had the same staff since Reid arrived...

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Eric Bienemy interviewed for the WC team offensive coordinator job today. I thought it was weird as he's already an OC but apparently his contract with the Chiefs expired and he's a free agent.

I like to think the WC team is interviewing for him. I hope they don't sign him...

11. DawkinsINT

I'm with you there. I want him away from the NFCE, unless the Eagles interview him for their OC opening.

TJ likes this.
  12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Looks like it's just a matter of time before Bienemy joins Washington.

Adam Gase was considered a genius when he had Peyton Manning as QB. He got a head coaching job, failed spectacularly...and then he got a second chance, in which he failed even more spectacularly. I hope Bienemy is black Adam Gase xD.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  13. DawkinsINT

Haha...Bieniemy seems like a decent guy so I don't want him to be a complete failure. I hope he has fairly decent success while the Commanders still finish in last place, he then gets a HC job elsewhere after.

TJ likes this.
  14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I agree. That hope only applies if he joins Washington :p

They don't even have a QB in place so maybe if he finishes in the middle of the pack that's enough to send him somewhere else...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I don't want to jump the gun here but by this time next year the Cowboys might be looking at this:

$40 million a year QB (Dak)
    $25 million a year WR (Ceedee)
    $20 million a year CB (Diggs)
    $30 million a year LB/EDGE (Micah)...maybe even more?

That's almost half the cap right there for three super star players and a Franchise QB. And I'm still not counting Lawrence who has like a $20 million cap hit fully guaranteed for that year. That worries me because Jerry and Stephen are the only personnel guys in the league who haven't realized the cap is fake. I'm dreading that time already and looks like 2023 will be boom or bust.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Done deal now. Bienemy will be the Commies OC, and will get to design and call his own plays. A "prove it" kind of deal...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  17. DawkinsINT

Vance Joseph back to Denver as their DC. He had two interviews with the Eagles. I thought there was an excellent chance he would end up in Philly.

TJ likes this.
  18. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I would never go back to a company I previously worked for on a lesser position, but hey, maybe that's just me...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  19. DawkinsINT

Wentz released by Commanders. Bieniemy wanted no part of him.

TJ likes this.
  20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Random guy on Twitter: Hey, remember when Dak vs. Wentz was an actual argument that we had? Those were crazy days...

Me, who just wants to watch the world burn at this point: Well, Wentz has a Super Bowl ring (((Runs away laughing maniatically like Peter Griffin)))

DawkinsINT likes this.