The 2023 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Jan 27, 2023.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Marcus Mariotta has been released. I have no idea what his market is going to be, but he would seem to be a decent fit for the Eagles offensive style. They wouldn't have to change as much of the playbook whenever Hurts is out.

As completely expected, the Eagles have promoted their QB coach, Brian Johnson, to OC. Can't complain with the results he has gotten out of Hurts. Still no idea who the DC will be.

TJ likes this.
  2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Rams are open to offers for Jalen Ramsey and I can't help but think about correcting a mistake we made in the 2016 draft.

Maybe Zeke and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Ramsey? The salaries pretty much cancel each other...

I know, I know...they're not that dumb...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  3. DawkinsINT

Eagles get their new DC, Sean Desai. Formerly of the Seahawks and Bears. I don't know much about him. Not being Jonathan Gannon is a good start though.

TJ likes this.
  4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I am fascinated by the Lamar Jackson situation in Baltimore. Word says he wants a fully guaranteed long term contract like the one that sick bastard Watson got and the Ravens say it's not going to happen and now they're headed to a franchise tag situation.

This is the rare situation where I agree with both sides. Of course Jackson deserves a contract like Watson's, but at the same time the Ravens (and the rest of the league for that matter) are right to say that it's an abomination, an outlier, kind of like the Mahomes deal, I mean, we have not seen another one like that.

I don't know how this will end, and with Burrow, Hurts and Herbert also eligible for extensions this offseason, he'll just become more expensive as time goes on...

5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well, the franchise tag window will start tomorrow, and we're one week away from free agency. This is finally going to wake up after 3 quiet weeks.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  6. DawkinsINT

Derek Carr signs a 4 year deal with the Saints. Usually when a QB signs with a new team I can't picture them playing for that squad. With Carr for some reason I can picture him as a Saint.

TJ likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Carr is now the best QB in the NFC South and the Saints are the favorites for the 4 seed. 7 wins are enough for that division.

The first domino to fall in the franchise tags is the Dallas Cowboys (who else?) tagging Tony Pollard for 10.1 million. I kind of agree with the move, but can't get over the fact that he broke a leg in the playoffs and this draft class is loaded with RB talent...oh, and generally RBs are not worth a second contract.

Now let's see if Jerry will swallow his pride, admit he made a mistake and cut Ezekiel. Very unlikely, but let's see...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Saints, being 55 million over the alleged cap and all, just gave Carr 100 Million guaranteed for the next 3 years.

Say it with me...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

On a surprising turn of events, the Ravens used the non-exclusive tag on Lamar Jackson which allows him to negotiate with other teams. Baltimore can match any offer or get two first round picks as compensation.

Things will get very, very interesting. Is someone willing to fully guarantee him 5 years?

DawkinsINT likes this.
  10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Giants re-signed Daniel Jones for 4 years and 160 million. Now Saquon is getting the Franchise tag...

That's one less team to worry about in the NFC East for a few more years. It's all Dallas and Philly now...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. DawkinsINT

One thing that sucks about that Jones contract is that it will drive up Hurts’ deal even more. I hope they get it done soon.

TJ likes this.
  12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

All the QB needy teams are saying they won't even talk to Lamar. I don't get it. One year ago there was a bidding war for Watson who wasn't a free agent doesn't even have half of Lamar's accomplishments...

This smells rotten...owners are clearly colluding to make sure nobody makes a contract like that again.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The cap space (which is fake) cuts have begun. Adam Thielen is somebody who I'd like to go after. He might be older but his game was never about speed or athleticism...he's one of the best route runners.

Also lots of restructures for cap (which is fake) reasons. Free agency is just around the corner...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  14. DawkinsINT

Darrius Slay has permission to seek a trade. Just great. With Bradberry & Epps being FA's it's possible that only one starter in the secondary from last year returns. Ugh.

TJ likes this.
  15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well if you want to keep Hurts he's going to cost at least 100 million guaranteed for the next 2 or 3 years so you gotta do what you gotta do...

The Cowboys just restructured Dak's contract. The actual definition of madness. They have bee doing that since Aikman.

But hey...they're saving 30 million of cap space (alongside a restructure of Zack Martin's deal, which is fine) so there's that...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Bears are trading the #1 pick to the Panthers for a 1st (9th overall) and 2nd this year, a 1st next year, a 2nd in 2025 and WR DJ Moore.

The Panthers are done playing games and they're going for their next QB. Young or Stroud?

DawkinsINT likes this.
  17. DawkinsINT

Good move for the Bears since they have so many needs.

18. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Jalen Ramsey was traded to the Dolphins for PEANUTS!!! One third round pick and some TE nobody knows. I don't know if the Rams are just desperate, or Ramsey is washed but that was insane!! The Cowboys could've match that easily.

Perhaps he is washed up...I don't get it otherwise. Just 2 years ago he was worth 2 1st round picks.

19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Dawk, Jason Kelce just announced on Twitter that he's returning for one more year. Is he under contract?

20. DawkinsINT

Yes, he is.

I knew the chances of the Eagles keeping Hargrave were close to NIL but to lose him to the 49ers is brutal. Huge signing by SF. Dammit!!!

TJ likes this.