The 2023 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Jan 27, 2023.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Man...DeMarvion Overshown, this year's third round pick, tore his ACL on saturday's preseason game and now he's out for the year. He was one of the rookies that intrigued me...some even said he was our biggest steal.

It's a shame because it seems like every linebacker we draft gets injured in his rookie year and then struggles to regain his strength. Here's to a speedy recovery...but we're thin at LB again, with Micah moving to the edge full time.

F the preseason.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Wow… Trey Lance to the Cowboys. Not a bad gamble assuming they gave up little.

TJ likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It was a 4th round pick for Lance and all I can think of is...WTF?!?!?!

Dak's deal runs out next year. Will they let him walk? They are AT THE VERY LEAST thinking about it.

I don't know where I stand on this. For the first time in a long while it took me completely off guard. I thought Lance was going to the Vikings or Patriots eventually.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  4. DawkinsINT

Dak’s deal running out next year makes the move make more sense. This is a big year for him to show that last season was an outlier. Having some time to see if they can straighten out Lance to be a star is worth a fourth, IMO.

TJ likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I mean...it's a lottery ticket. A very expensive lottery ticket. 6 million guaranteed this year and a 5th year option that, with Lance being a top 3 pick, won't be cheap. It will be like 20 million. Of course they can always decline it and give him a lesser deal like the Packers did with Love but still.

I don't get it. I really don't. We went from "Dak is our guy for at least a decade more" to "we'll see about that".

If he develops and lives up to his potential, that's great, but...I read he only has like 300 passes since he left high school and injuries can't leave him alone. Will he actually develop?

And more importantly...how will this affect Dak? You know he'll say all the right things in front of the cameras and welcome him with open arms and all that, but internally...what could he be thinking? Will it go to his head?

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Wait...wait...it gets better. Dak's cap number is 60 million for 2024. He has a no trade clause. The only way to bring that number down is by extending him. Releasing him will cost 90 million in dead cap. We have deals for Lamb and Parsons coming up...

I haven't been this confused since my divorce...and even then I knew what went on...

Geez...I'd like to be a fly in Jerry's office...man, oh, man...I'm in shambles...

Have a nice weekend...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  7. DawkinsINT

Damn. That makes me feel good that we have Roseman handling our cap. And to think people wanted him fired a few years ago.

Someone on Twitter said that Jerry is collecting mulattos like Thomas Jefferson and I can’t stop laughing.

TJ likes this.
  8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Good ol' Jerry said he didn't consult McCarthy or anyone before doing the Lance trade. The 49ers called, he offered a 4th, Lynch and Shanahan muted the phone, laughed histerically, and accepted.

Some things never change...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  9. DawkinsINT

I heard that too. So crazy to not have a word with anyone else in the organization. God bless him.

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It's roster cut down day. The Cowboys just waived LB Jabril Cox, a 4th round pick back in 2021 who at the time looked like a steal. After a solid but not spectacular rookie season, injuries have plaged him. What a bummer.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. DawkinsINT

The Eagles released their punter, Arryn Siposs, who was awful last year. His 4th quarter shank in the SB was a big reason they lost. He beat out his own competitor in camp though. I thought we were going to be stuck with him. As of right now the Eagles have zero punters on their roster, so I guess Roseman already has someone in mind that is going to be released from another team or he's going to bring in some punters for an open competition.

No else of note released.

TJ likes this.
  12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

People are comparing the Trey Lance trade with the niners trading for Steve Young in 1987 (Montana was 31, Dak is 30). I want to pop my eyes out.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Drew Magary from Defector (formally from Deadspin) on his Cowboys preview:

"This is not a football team. It’s a television show."

He absolutely nailed it.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Nick Bosa just got paid, man!! He got QB money!!

Micah Parsons must be doing backflips and his agent must already be screaming to Jerry SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Remember...2024 is also Dak's last contract year. If we're going to finally accept the cap is fake, march 2024 in Big D will show it.

You have no idea how much I'm dreading it...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  15. DawkinsINT

That’s crazy money, especially the guaranteed portion. Between he and his brother, I’m guessing their parents don’t have much of a need for money.

TJ likes this.
  16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Their dad played in the NFL so I don't think they're starving :p

DawkinsINT likes this.