The 2024 Seattle Mariners

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by TJ, Mar 27, 2024.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Mariners looked at the Yankees line up, their 0.00 ERA closer, and just lol'd.

Dead for most of the game, with one hit in 7 innings, down 4-1 in the bottom of the 9th, they stole one in Yankee Stadium with some good ol' CHAOS BALL!!!

Never give up.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Great win for you guys!

TJ likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

48 hours ago I was praying to get at least one win in this 4 game series against the Yankees.

Now I'm thinking sweep.

The rollercoaster of being a Mariners fan...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Ended up being a series split. The last two weren't even close...so I'll take it. Thanks to the Phillies sweeping the Rangers we remain in 1st place by 2 games. Tomorrow we open a weekend series at Washington. NOW I want a sweep.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yeah...it was 1-2.

We avoided the sweep yesterday with Julio's first monster game of the season: 3 for 4 with a HR and 4 RBI. Julio always seems to start slow but this year it was getting ridiculous. Let's see if he can find that MVP form again because we need it so bad.

Tonight we open a 4-game series against the Astros that we need to win to keep putting distance in the division. Still leading by 2 games even after going 1-4 in the last 5. Let's put this away quick...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

We could've swept the Astros in 4 games but the bats decided to take the day off. Still... a 3-1 series win is fantastic.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Mariners have fired offensive coordinator Brant Brown. Yes. Offensive Coordinator. No, not the Seahawks. The Mariners.

We're in 1st place in the division only because all the other teams suck more, to be honest. The M's rank last or near last in most offensive stats and have kept afloat (pun totally intended) thanks to some elite pitching and a fantastic bullpen. I hope the offensive issues get solved soon and we run away with the division and make a deep playoff run. The window is now, so I like the move.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Sweeping the Angels will always feel good. No matter if they are the worst team in baseball or among the worst. Now we get a much needed day off before starting a series against the surprising Royals.

The Mariners scored 19 runs and only struck out 17 times in the 3-game series. It was just the Angels, yes, but the firing of the hitting coach/offensive coordinator had to mean something, right?

DawkinsINT likes this.
  9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

My bad. It's the Athletics. The Royals series comes after that, and after that it's the White Sox. I expect us to keep rolling this week that is the easiest stretch in the schedule.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Took the series against the Athletics in which the hitting issues seem to have decreased again. At times we look better offensively. Still in 1st place by 4.5 games.

The best thing about luck is that it tends to even out. The Mariners pitchers are the luckiest in the league while the hitters are the unluckiest.

The starting rotation is setting all kind of records: 3ER in 30+ innings, lead MLB in quality starts, lowest ERA in May...but then you look at the top 10 pitchers according to ESPN, Fox, et al and not a single Mariners starter is listed. I bet they don't even know who they are. East coast bias is a thing.

Now we open that Royals series, should be fun.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Trivia question: Which team has the largest divisional lead in baseball?

Answer: The Seattle Mariners, of course!! Those of the .215 collective batting average. Those of the gazillion strikeouts (while hitting). Those who have the run differential of a .500 team.

Which only means CHAOS BALL is back and with a vengeance!! I hope they don't screw it up trying to fix the hitting again. They have tried for years and nothing seems to work. Hitter that we sign or trade for, automatically becomes a strikeout machine. Hitter who leaves becomes Barry Freakin' Bonds. Look at Jarred Kelenic lately...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Nothing like a good ass-kicking to put us back in our reality. The Mariners managed to win game 1 in Cleveland (almost blew a 7 run lead, BTW) but then got absolutelly destroyed in games 2 and 3, the latter one with our ace on the mound.

We have played the other top teams in the AL: Baltimore, Yankees, KC, Cleveland and Minnesota. We lost to all, and only managed to split a 4-game series against the Yankees. One of those will be our opponent in october and I'm starting to fear a quick playoff exit again...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Mariners are 0-60 when they score in the 1st inning. No, don't look it up. Just trust me because it sure feels like it. Can't believe we dropped a game to the Marlins in extra innings. After that first frame the offense did absolutelly nothing the rest of the way. Just disgusting. Three losses in a row that could very easily be five, and the lead in the division is down to 7. FML.

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The Mariners free fall continues. Lost a series to the Marlins (THE MARLINS!!!) and then blew a game against the Rays yesterday. Also, we lost Brian Woo, maybe for the year...the #5 starter with the 1.17 ERA. Yeah, that one. Emerson Hancock got hurt in AAA last week so all of a sudden we are a starter short!!

The division lead has been cut in half in a little over a week. Astros and Rangers seem to have woken up. Astros just swept the Orioles. This rollercoaster makes me want to throw up...

DawkinsINT likes this.