The Chargers Are Getting What They Paid For

Discussion in 'San Diego Chargers' started by SRW, Sep 23, 2007.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Chargers are getting what they paid for

Firing Marty and getting Norv Turner was a dumb move big time. A.J. Smith might have won the power struggle but the team is suffering because of it. Norv's track record as a head man should of been all they needed to know to not go this direction. Now this team seems disorganized and there are signs of in fighting.

Hey, at least it will be interesting to follow!

2. NJeMKay

NJeMKay Starter

The Shottenheimer firing still boggles my mind... What the heck were they thinking? You don't go 14-2 by being a crapty coach.

3. efunk_adelic

efunk_adelic bolt fanatic

there is some obvious chemistry problem. But our shortcomings in the defensive backfield were gonna bite us in the butt anyways. I just didn't think it was going to be this intense. Also Philip Rivers is gonna have to learn how to complete passes to subpar receivers on top of all the problems.

4. pacoltsguy

pacoltsguy Guest

I have always thought Marty Schottenheimer an excellent coach. He is famous for taking pathetic teams--the Browns, the Chiefs and the Chargers--and turning them into contenders.

Check out their records before Marty arrived if you don't believe me.

That loss last year to the Patriots in the playoffs was not Schottenheimer's fault. The team choked at the end of the game as a unit. They would have learned from that experience (if the coaching staff hadn't been gutted). They might have dominated the AFC again this year and found their way to a championship.

But AJ Smith's ego had to come into play. After hearing all of the stories, I am amazed that Marty was so successful in the face of such arrogance from upper management.

I hope that Mr. Smith understands that his choices (releasing Drew Brees and firing Marty) have directed his career toward an early retirement rather than leading his team to a World Championship.

5. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

They shouldn't have fired Marty....was a mistake. He's a good coach and as crazy as it sounds....I think he finally had what it took to get to the Super Bowl. I honestly didn't think it was last year but imagine him with Rivers another year. He brought Rivers along quite well last year .....and the defense last year...wow...

6. NJeMKay

NJeMKay Starter

Your right... Letting personal feelings get in the way and firing Marty was out of line and was just stupid.

7. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't worry about the Chargers just yet. After next week, the AFC West will be in a 3 way tie for the division lead...and the Chiefs aren't one of the 3. :icon_redface:

8. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Yeah, i'm still shocked Marty Schottenheimer was fired even though it was been reported him and GM AJ Smith never got along. Hiring Norv Turner has a step down. Sure, Schottenheimer's playoff record isn't good at all BUT Marty gives the Chargers a better chance at getting back to the playoffs then Norv Turner does.