The Official Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by TJ, Dec 6, 2013.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

That first goal scored by Germany against Ghana was just sick. Pinpoint pass followed by that "header" to his knee and GOAL Serious skills.

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

US looking decent against Portugal. Minus that terrible screw up that allowed the goal.

3. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

That double save before the half was sick.

4. DaBears22

That near goal US almost had was about as close as you can get without scoring. I like how they are getting so many shots in this match.

5. DaBears22

That was amazing.

6. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Even being highly anti-US Sawker, that was cruel on the yanks.

7. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

That was heartbreaking.

8. Steve12

Damn whata brutal ending. We controlled that game and just lost it at the end. Brutal.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Ouch moment.

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Now you're in trouble. You need at least a tie against Germany (not likely). If you lose, you need help.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

• If Portugal and Ghana draw, the United States will progress in second place.
    • If Ghana win, they'd progress if they won by a couple of goals or more, or won by a single goal and the U.S. lost by more than one goal. If the United States and Ghana ended up level on goal differential, it would come down to who scored the most goals overall. If they were deadlocked still, the United States would progress as they've already beaten Ghana in the group stages.
    • If Portugal win, they'd need to overturn an even bigger goal differential deficit to progress ahead of the United States. Their goal differential heading into the final slate of games is minus-4, while the United States' is plus-1. That's a fairly big final swing Portugal require. If they pull it back level, it would again go down to who scored the most goals in the group stages overall. Still deadlocked? They'd end up drawing lots for progression -- picking a name out of a hat, essentially. Ouch.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I hate Mexico's elimination games. I can't sleep, I can't work, I can't focus on anything. You hate yourself for giving so much importance to such meaningless things, but that's sports, I guess.

With a tie we advance. It's all we need. But after so many years, and all my teams falling short time and time again, I just can't have any confidence.

Mexico FTW. Please don't let us down again, guys. Let the best team advance.

13. Steve12

It actually looks fairly likely to me that we advance. Am I missing something? Barring Germany blowing us out, Portugal is basically done. Ghana has a good shot at it though.

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

that ending was right up there with rhonde barber and joe carter for me.

15. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Say wha?? We didn't even lose. This wasn't even close to those events in my mind.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

to each his own i guess. i know it's different but right when it happened i had the same knot in my stomach.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  17. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

You were saying? He felt well enough to help stick a dagger into the US yesterday.

Aussie61 likes this.
  18. smeags

smeags militant geek

he actually helped the US by not even attempting to play any type of defense the entire game.

19. Steve12

You must not have the the previous 94 minutes where he didn't play defense, was playing out of position, and completely botched multiple shot opportunities.

20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well, yeah...I didn't say LOTS of help. If you lose by one to Germany, and Ghana beats Portugal by at least two (or Portugal blows up Ghana by 4 or more), then you're out. This is the World Cup. I still remember how we squeezed to the second round after a tie to Netherlands on a goal scored in the 96th minute or something.

I say you're about 85% in.