The Official Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by smeags, Aug 27, 2007.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

And Jeffery Lurie said that Andy Reid has his full and complete support and that he'll be back for a 14th season. I for one am very happy with that.

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

well duke there's no doubt you're a reid apologists to the 100000000000th degree. congrats on your off the charts optimism.

unfortunately when i hear guys like didinger and baldy basically say the opposite of you i tend to listen to them more. i'm sure you'll lose no sleep over that but fact is the defense benefitted enormously by the crap they played at the end of the year. the offense still has the same issues we discuss every freaking offseason. the qb is never going to be good enough to win it all. his performance fo the first 10 games of 2010 was a mirage. his play since is what you're gonna get from him.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I hate to admit that it's true... but I fear it is.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

i still think kolb was the better fit for this offense and while he's hasnt shown anything in arizona i am not ready to call him a bust considering the fact that they stink. kolb in reid's system would've worked but we will never know how well.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree 100% with this smeagle. I think Kolb, in Reid's system was a potential pro bowl guy. Arizona isn't really fit to the Cardinals offense and I think quite a few of us stated that when the deal went through.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

considering how much the o-line's play improved from last year kolb would've had time to throw the ball. that was the big worry before and it came to be in arizona when he got the concussion.

vick is a sick athlete but an average qb. always has been, always will be.

that said he's here along with reid for one more year. with that in mind i say franchise djax and take one more shot with this group of coaches & players. if the team can find someone to replace jackson then do it but they better get it right because they need a guy like him.

i heard the dopes on WIP - well cataldi anyway aruging how jackson isnt needed because he doesnt put up 1200-1500 yards per year, well this offense isnt structured that way. it's set up to spread the ball around so that's not going to happen. what will is four guys putting up 700-1000 yards.

but hey none of that matters because the front office took care of the team's problems by firing the db's coach - because you know he's the one that decided to play nnamdi in zone, play drc in the slot, not take a 3rd for asante, use the wide 9, not put an emphisis on the lb position etc etc ...

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

drama is EXACTLY what he creates. i don't need nor want him to toss his players under the bus. the issue with his pressers isnt that he doesnt answer questions it's the condecender attitude he displays.

why get rid of mcdermot if that's the case ? the defense wasnt much better this year with much more talent. also the defnse was not really playing better down the strectch, as i said earlier ray didingder said flat out he saw tons of mistakes made by the defense that wouldve been exploited by better talent then matt moore, marc sanchez, magee & rex grossman.

the 1st 10 games of 2010 were a mirage.

get it together for a whole season ? the problem has never been him it's been the need for celek to help the o-line block. once the o-line came around his stats skyrocketed. that isn't a coinsedence.

patterson is avearge - there is no reason he should have to grow at this point of his career.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. smeags

smeags militant geek

word on the fanatic here is that the eagles are close to getting spags.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

That was my guess...what would they do with Castillo?

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

db's coach ?

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I know you hate Reid, so you won't change your thoughts on this... but all he does in pressers is sit there and take the bullets for his players and coaches. Would he rather not deal with the media after every loss? Of course he would, like any other coach. Does he get a little bit chippy after his team just lost a game and media dipcraps poke and prod him to talk about things he has never talked about in 13 years? Yes.

And as you and I know, it will never change.

Castillo installed a new defense, with a completely different look and scheme especially from the DL. McDermott was running the exact same defense he inherited from JJ. That's the difference. There was no learning curve when McDermott came in, he just sucked crap calling the plays and/or his players didn't execute.

Blows.

True.

This.

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

do you listen to the pressers to really get a feel for what bugs people or just go by what you hear ? because there's no need for him to throw players under the bus, not that he hasnt done in the past. but his attitude when he is asked a legit question - which is more then not - like when he was asked during the year why do you continue to treat the lb position like it doesnt matter, his response shouldn't be a rodheaded response. that's what people get pissed about more then anything but you 100% right, it's not going to change. personally i put his pressers at the bottom of the list of issues but some others don't.

i know the difference, the point is mcdermott had less talent to work with while running JJ's system (and if the eagles do get spags we will be right back to that type of system) ... imagine if mcdermot had aso & drc at cb like JJ had taylor/vincent and brown/sheppard. would've made a huge difference.

if reid stays with mcdermot and gives him the talent castillo got i think this defense is way better without the wide 9. that's with the average lb's. why do you make such a drastic change in a season your VP and onwer both state is all-in ? :dunno:

reid is a damn fine coach. his record speaks for itself but every off-season we have the same discussions. i do believe though if they can bring spags in here to run this defensive unit correctly, figure out the wr spot with the jackson mess and vick give us something in between 2010's 1st 1/2 and 2011 the eagles are going to be dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  13. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

With Fisher is St Louis, I wonder if they'll want Washburn.

14. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

A) McDermott is the WORST DC in the NFL. The fact that he has a job right now shocks the crap out of me. He had JJ's defensive scheme in which he KNEW and hecked it up COMPLETELY. The team barely blitzed and the coverage was crap. At least JC was an offensive guy coming to a defense so there's the reason for him sucking it up. Who knows what happens next season, we will see.

B) Word is that Spags would be the DB or LB coach for now and that JC won't be demoted or fired. That being said I doubt that Spags ends up with the Eagles.

C)There's not another coach I'd rather have right now than Andy Reid.

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

mcdermott had less talent and the eagles were barely better this season. the same issues were still there under castillo.

maybe you should check facts before you continue your reid pr tour because the defense gave up less yards last year. they certainly gave up more points, part of that being the eagles going into prevent mode and giving up meaningless points at the end of games, but again the talent was not as deep as the season. was mcdermott a great DC ? no but certainly better than castillo.

thanks tammy

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  16. smeags

smeags militant geek

would be nice to see him go.

17. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Really? Would be nice to see Washburn go? Wow. He didn't help the defense at all this year. And since you keep going on your anti-Reid course, who could come in here and have immediate results? Name someone that's not just a name. Please. I'm interested to hear your all knowing knowledge of the football world.

18. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

2010 - Passing - 14th - Rushing - 15th - 12th Ranked defense in the NFL - McD's last season
    2011 - Passing - 10th - Rushing - 16th - 8th Ranked defense in the NFL - JC's year

I also want to point out that McDermott is the DC in Carolina right now and they have one of the worst defenses in the NFL. McDermott was awful and while I wouldn't hate JC bring the DC another season I'd MUCH rather have Spags calling the defense. Either way, Reid doesn't need to go right now and neither does JC but it'd be nice to see a true DC in here.

19. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

I dont think Castillo should be demoted or fired. He had a crapty start to the season thanks to lockout. A full season under his belt, OTAs in the spring and a full training camp can fine tune his defense. Spags isn't going to come in an produce any better results, since he would be changing the defense to his liking, throwing everything out of whack, again. Continuity is what the Eagles need.

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

funny but the defense didnt start playing better until they stopped using the wide 9 as much but yeah you're right washburn leaving would be horrible.

c'mon now no need to get upset because we have a different opinion but last i checked i'm a fan not a front office guy so who would ultimately replace reid would be their decision but from the owners presser last week its very obvious he was very close the firing reid but i do know this, the eagles are never going to win it all with reid. that said go look at the amount of HC's that started after reid was hired that won the super bowl - a few very soon after.

i understand your position, you're comfortable with reid. you love the regular season wins so much you're willing to overlook the playoff flops. i'm not, it's that simple but who knew who reid was before he got hired here ? gruden was just a name before he got hired in tampa, dungy the same thing before indy. couglin the same before getting the giants gig. both harbaughs were imed impacts. so was tomlin. so was payton. so was schwartz.

there are guys out there.

i'll keep sayign this because you think i just blindly hate reid which is wrong - reid is a good coach and i'm more than glad that he has coached the eagles but IMO he has taken the team as far as he can.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012