The Top 10 Worst NFL Teams

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by Two Girls One Kaep, Sep 26, 2013.

1. This week we journey into the depths of the pits of NFL teams with a new Top 10, Lets start the show!

Criteria
    1. How bad was the team?
    2. How many games did they win in the season?
    3. How many points did they lose/win games by?

[​IMG]

#10. The 1973 Houston Oilers
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHYx1Wcx6j8]O for Oilers - YouTube[/ame]

We kick our list off with the 1-13 Oilers from 1973. This horrible team gave up 447 points during the 1973 season(just under 28 points a game.) On top of having one of the worse defenses of all time, The Oilers also were last in rushing yards, and 2nd to last in yards per play. It's almost tear-jerking this is the best team on this list.

#9. The 1991 Indianapolis Colts
    COLTS SEASON IN REVIEW: 1991
    video is on this page

The 1-15 Colts come in at #9 this week. Their only victory came against their division rivals, the New York Jets, in Week 11. They only won by 1 point though, 28-27. A lot of "experts" say the Colts has a very weak schedule I don't know what was wrong with the Colts, but maybe they caught it from losing to this next team.

#8. The 1990 New England Patriots
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAnucDQft0]1990 New England Patriots - YouTube[/ame]

The 1-15 Patriots were the worst in franchise history. They gave up 446 points, and scored only 181. Their only win came in week 2 against the division rival Colts. They won by 2 points, 16-14. The victory wasn't celebrated long, with a sexual harassment suit being filed the day after. I guess it's good they only won this one game. This was an all-time low for the franchise, and was very sad for any Pats fan. The team went on to lose the next 14 games.

#7. 1980 New Orleans Saints
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62YIM1RaJU]December 7, 1980. 49ers vs Saints - YouTube[/ame]

The 1-15 1980 Saints also only won by 1 point in their only victory, 21-20. This season dubbed the team, "The Ain'ts." The most notable loss is the youtube video attached, where The Saints started 35–7 in the 1st half. The 49ers would rally behind Joe Montana to tie the game 35–35, and go on to win in overtime, 38–35.

#6. The 1952 Dallas Texans
    [​IMG]

The 1-11 Texans won their only game of the year by 4 points against Daaaaa Bears, 27-23. This was their only season in the NFL in Dallas. Their only win actually was after the team was given up on in Dallas, and was sent from the Cotton Bowl to the Rubber Bowl in Ohio.

#5. 1960 Dallas Cowboys
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO2XEGpNdeg"]Dallas Cowboys - Bill Herchman #72 - First Cowboy Game - YouTube[/ame]

The first year for the Dallas Cowboys wasn't the best. They finished with a whopping 0 wins. They did have a tie though, 31-31 with the Giants. This tie started a long rivalry. This Franchise seen better days with Dandy Don and Tom Landry, but this year was one that was very forgettable.

#4. The 2008 Detroit Lions
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV-rRm4czbk]2008 Detroit Lions Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

While being the only NFL team to lose 16 games in a season, the Lions had so many close games. There is a lot of bad things that happened to this team. Kitna got hurt, they traded Roy Williams, etc. No excuses this team was very bad. There isn't much to say about this team that isn't already known. The funniest thing I love to talk with my friends about, is how the Lions this year were actually 4-0 in the preseason.

#3. The 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR7_QKrjnp0]1976 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - YouTube[/ame]

The 0-14 Buccaneers were the first NFL team to play an entire 14 game season without winning or tying a single game. They did not score until their third game, and did not score a touchdown until their fourth. That touchdown they did score though, were garbage time 4th quarter. This was the 1st year for them also (a common theme.)

#2. 1934 Cincinnati Reds
    [​IMG]

This team could easily be argued as the worse ever. They are the only team in NFL history to surrender more than five yards per carry, and were shut out in 6 out of the 8 games they played. They were given up on and sold after the 8th game, where they lost 64-0.

#1. The 1944 Chicago Cardinals/Pittsburgh Steelers
    [​IMG]

World War II provided many fun experiments in the NFL. After the failed attempt with the Steagals the year before, Pittsburgh gave it another... sad sad attempt. The Carpets (named for Card inals and Pitts burgh, not the fact they were walked on like carpets) Finished their only season 0-10. This team appears at first to be slightly better than the Reds. If you look further into it you will see they threw 41 interceptions, and there main quarterback John McCarthy threw 13 interceptions, completed no touchdown passes, and finished with a quarterback rating of 3.0.

Wrapping it up

This week was hard to find a lot of videos. I was wondering what do you all think of a Top 10 NFL video game list for next week? If I get 10 people who think it's a good idea in the comments, I'll do it next week. Otherwise I'll stick to regular formula.

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I like the video game idea.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

You're the mad scientist. :icon_smile:

Back to the lab...

4. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

me too

5. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Another good list this week! Thumbs up for video game top 10

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

1989 Dallas Cowboys 1-15.

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Know who they beat for their only victory that year!:icon_evil::icon_cheesygrin:

8. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Me too. That was the first year that JJ owned the team. A lot of hatred for him then for firing Landry. And, going 1-15 the first year didn't help matters any.

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Good stuff.

You may have to redo this list after this year's Week 17. We just may see the Jacksonville Jaguars or the New York Giants crack the Top 10 at the torrid pace they're stinking it up.

10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

He did handle it crapty,but landry was an nfl legend and i doubt anyway jones handled it would have been looked on favorably. He made up for a lot of what he did by putting landry up in the ring of honor before he died.and is'nt ther a landry statue in dallas somewhere?

11. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I have an official book on the Dallas cowboys and it wasn't really JJ that fired him. This had been decided before the sale of the team Jimmy johnson was coming in as Def corrdonater for one yr under Landry and then take over the next season. But the team was sold and he was fired before but no one wanted to tell Landry JJ was the only one with the nuts

12. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Went through your list again and, unfortunately, I remember the '70's and '80's Bucs like it was yesterday. When you've got a Head Coach making fun of his own team day in and day out, you gotta be bad. But God bless John McKay for some very memorable quotes during his tenure there:
    1 - In response to a question about his team's execution - "I'm all in favour of it."
    2 - On an interception thrown by Steve DeBerg in 1984 that cost the Bucs a game against the Giants - "It was thrown to nobody. Well, it was thrown to somebody, Harry Carson. But he happened to be playing for the New York Giants at the time. It would have been a good pass if Harry had been playing for us."
    3 - After a particularly heavy loss - "The bus leaves in an hour - anyone who needs a shower, take one."
    4 - On losing a key game - "I told our players that there were 700 million Chinese people in the world who didn't even know the game was played. The next week, I got five letters from China asking "What happened?"
    5 - After the Bucs broke their 26-game losing streak - "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."
    6 - On recruiting his son John to play for USC and then the Bucs - "I had an advantage - I slept with his mother."
    7 - On the prospect of a late-season trip to Green Bay - "Going there is like winning the 98th prize in a beauty contest with only 97 prizes."
    8 - On hearing how Buc kicker Pete Rajecki was nervous about McKay watching him in the 1976 pre-season - "That's unfortuntate as I plan on attending all the games."
    9 - At a post-game press conference in 1976 "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a bunch of bananas."
    10 - The following week after a media member has dropped off a case of bananas at his door - "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a Mercedez-Benz."