Tom Coughlin Will Bench Any Player For Intentional Helmet-To-Helmet Hits

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by BigBlueBruiser, Oct 18, 2010.

1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

this is the part of your post that is correct ................... there is never a situation, at ANY level of the sport, where lowering your helmet will help you make a tackle. the only fundamental reason that someone would helmet lead or launch is to separate the ball from the player but no coach in their right mind is going to teach it. but the real reason we see it in the nfl all the time is for intimidation, fear, and the highlight shows and that's not me saying it. The players admit it. It has nothing to do with fundamentals of making the tackle. In fact, most of the illegal hits that happen are when a defender already has the tackle made and one of his teammates comes in to put the finishing lick on him. There are no tackling fundamentals when lowering your helmet.

2 people like this.
  2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

To everyone who replied in this thread, fantastic work. What a great conversation.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i know. i'm awesome. :icon_cool:

4. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Exactly, repped

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I won't disagree with you there. But there are situations every week in every game where it cannot be prevented. A player can make the attempt, but football is a reactionary and physical sport. These injuries and ensuing suspensions will continue to happen. It's unfortunately part of the game.

6. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I doubt anyone thinks this will make them go away but I am sure the league is hoping it will make some of them go away. This is also why I think suspensions should be reserved for clearly intentional cases. It's going to be frustrating as a fan when your team is down a player due to something you thought was incidental BUT maybe it will help balance out with all the folks that are being held out with concussions.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

QFT.

It's going to be frustrating for everyone all the way around at some point or another...

I don't think the league wants to suspend players and will do everything they can not to, but it's inevitable - it's going to happen.

8. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Agree...IMO if the three players in question this week...had made these hits next week. It should go like this.
    Robinson: Flagged.
    Plus/minus on fine (maybe let history of prievious discipline for same help decide here)
    Definitely not suspened
    Harrison:Flagged. Fined. Plus/Minus suspension given history of prievious
    Merrieweather: Flagged. Fined. Suspended. No questions.

9. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

agreed............the sky is falling

10. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

and you philly guys sure do cry a lot.