Too Much Structure

Discussion in 'GridironFans Support' started by ravenfan52, May 11, 2008.

1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

I really like this site, but the one really big negative for me is all the structure. All the rules about what you can post, where, when, and how. The reporter thing is cute, but I think they go a little (lot) overboard when it comes to rules. You have to post headlines in that forum and discuss them in this one. You have to put the link a certain way and the you have to keep it at one paragraph. You have to put the team, position, and the player's full name in a thread title. You have to have a certain sized picture for a topstory. I say, "rules fools!" It is getting a lottle crazy in my opinion. People should just do what they want without having to worry about whether or not the exact format is right. I say they should keep general nfl talk and ncaa/draft discussion, etc, but get rid of afc discussion and nfc discussion and replace them with division forums where you can discuss, post news, and discuss posted news about your division! Within off topic (which a better name would be the sideline imo), they should put forum games and include them there. Just my honest opinion. Giving my feedback. Other than that, great site.

2. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

I get overwhelmed by the rules... I only post where I'm comfortable.

3. Weezy

Weezy Ice Cold

:icon_eek: there are rules

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

oh boy...

5. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Posting NFL News in the Headline forum is only open to certain members. It is setup this way because this is the main feature of our site and it needs to meet set standards for consistency.

The reason we have a separate section for NFL News is so our news gets syndicated via the RSS feed. We would not be able to filter stories from the rest of the posts if they were thrown in the AFC or NFC forums.

Not everyone has access to posting official NFL news on the site and those that do agree beforehand to post news correctly. Reporters have offered to help the site run smoothly so members can enjoy it. For that to work though there needs to be a structure that is consistent each and every time.

Also, we have rules on where to post things so the site is organized. If we didn't have that structure then the site would be a disorganized mess and it would be unpredictable on where you can find a topic to discuss. In the end that is bad for everyone.

Now, if the structure of posting news is too much then a reporter has the option of stepping down from the news team. We appreciate the help when we can get it but we also need that person who wants to help to follow the procedures.

6. hermhater

hermhater Guest

If there are rules, then how can I break them?:icon_cheesygrin:

7. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Take your post whoring to the Lounge...thanx

8. SRW

Site Rules

There's a link to them in case you haven't seen them yet.

9. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Yes boss!

:icon_rolleyes:

I think I came pretty close to breaking number 12 in another thread.

I will see if I can find it and remove it.

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Perhaps the rules should be in an easier place to find them. I'm not sure how many noobs look at Site Extras.

11. SRW

Before a new member registers they see this in the registration process:

[​IMG]

They have to read the rules and then check the box letting us know they have read and will agree to abide by the rules. If they are skipping this step then there isn't much I can do.

12. DawkinsINT

I think a lot of people skip reading the T&C when joining a board. Perhaps moving the link to Blogs into Site Extras, and having a Rules link in that spot would help. Just a thought.

13. hermhater

hermhater Guest

You could request a DNA sample and run it through the National Rule Breakers Database?

14. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

me thinks the site runs just fine
    you compare it to other places where chaos reigns supreme, GIF gets it right

15. SRW

I am not going to bury the link to the Blogs....we are trying hard to promote that section of the site and that would not help.

I added a link to the 2nd navbar next to "Links". The fact does remain though that members should not be skipping reading the rules before registering. Once they agree a "Oh I didn't know that was a rule" doesn't fly as an excuse. They agreed to the rules upon registering. If they read them or not is on them, not the site.

16. DawkinsINT

I totally agree. I just thought it might be nice to have them in a more obvious place for future reference. Adding the link to where it is now is perfect. :beerchug:

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think the rules are great and the struture of the site makes it organized and very easy to navigate. There's not freaking chaos like some of these other message boards. With threads being derailed and just posts flying every which way...

The news is there for a reason and it is taken seriously...people visit the site for the news and not to post, so to give the site some sort of credibility, there are structures and rules for the news posts.

I don't see any problems.

18. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

heck yeah!!!

19. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

...or we could ask every member to visits Sweets and SRWs place, that they explain to rules to every single member......

I really wonder what some guys here do on their daily business. If you have to fill out a form at your job, assemble an engine or whatever, you do it the way it is requested, didn't you?

20. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

if you don't like the structure, go somewhere else. it's not difficult!