Top 10 WR/TE Rankings

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by adammwilson, Apr 25, 2011.

1. WR:

1. AJ Green (UGA)

[​IMG]

Projection: 4th overall pick

Where I would take him: top 10

It is obvious this guy is a great player. I'm not just being a homer here Green is a stud. I suppose the only down side on him is his slight build. He has everything you look for in a WR speed, leaping ability, great hands, great route running, and is a playmaker.

2. Julio Jones (Alabama)

[​IMG]

Projection: 6th overall pick

Where I would take him: top 15

Jones has a ton of talent. He played on a run first team in college and is a great run blocker which is always good. He has some great hands, he can run great routes, he has leaping ability. What concerns me is his injuries and his ability to separate. Now you can argue that the reason he didn't separate that much in college is because he was hurt and you won't be wrong. He has also had an issue with drops at times. He also isn't as explosive as Green.

3. Torrey Smith (Maryland)

[​IMG]

Projection: round 2

Where I would take him: Late 1st- early 2nd

Smith is a fast WR. He is a skinny guy. He can run good routes but wasn't given the chance at Maryland. He body catches too much for my liking. He also won't break many tackles. He is a good prospect though.

4. Terrence Toliver (LSU)

[​IMG]

Projection: 3rd-4th

Where I would take him: 2nd

Toliver makes plays. He has suffered from drops but this guy is a great player. He is a big target, runs great routes, and catches the ball well.

5. Titus Young (Boise State)

[​IMG]

Projection: 2nd

Where I would take him: 2nd

Young is fast. He compares favorably to a slightly less explosive Desean Jackson. Young has great hands as well as great speed. His biggest weakness is route running. He didn't run the full route tree at Boise St.

6. Leonard Hankerson (Miami U.)

[​IMG]

Where I would take him: ?

Hankerson is a great prospect. He runs great routes and gets nice separation. He broke several records at the U. He struggled with drops early in his career but is a great player and a guy that alot of people would want on their teams.

7. Jon Baldwin (Pitt)

[​IMG]

Projection: round 2

Baldwin is a big WR. He runs great routes and catches the ball pretty well. What concerns people is his maturity. He has been in trouble with the law and criticized his former HC and QB.

8. Randall Cobb (Kentucky)

[​IMG]

Cobb is a versatile guy. He started off at QB at Kentucky and hasn't been playing WR long. He has been very successful there and is a hard working guy. He can play RB, QB, and WR, and has contributes on KR/PR.

9. Jerrel Jernigan (Troy)

[​IMG]

Jernigan is a speedy player. He can play some special teams as well. He is only 5'9 which arguably will put him in the slot only.

10. Edmund Gates (Abilene Christian)

[​IMG]

Projection: 3rd

Gates is another fast guy. He hasn't been playing for long as his favorite sport was basketball. He is a play maker though.

TE:

1. Kyle Rudolph (Notre Dame)

[​IMG]

Where I would take him: 1st-2nd

Rudolph has great hands. There are alot of things to like about him and not much to dislike. He doesn't have elite athleticism like some TE's these days but it is better than some.

2. Luke Stocker (Tenn.)

[​IMG]

Where I woudl take him: ?

Stocker is your traditional TE. He can block and catch and has been compared to Dallas TE Jason Witten.

3. Lance Kendricks (Wisconsin)

[​IMG]

Projection: 2nd-3rd

Where I would take him: 2nd-3rd

Kendricks can block and catch and is your traditional TE. He doesn't have elite athleticism.

4. DJ Williams (Arkansas)

[​IMG]

Where I would take him: 2nd-3rd

He can find soft spots in a defense and is a smart player. Off the field he is a quality guy and has been through alot. His biggest weakness is his blocking which needs refinement.

5. Virgil Green (Nevada)

[​IMG]

Where I would take him: 3rd

He has alot of athleticism. His biggest weakness is his strength. He has great hands and body control.

6. Jordan Cameron (USC)

[​IMG]

Cameron is a former basketball player with elite athleticism. Whoever takes him will be taking on a huge risk as his production on college was not where it should be.

7. Rob Housler (FAU)

[​IMG]

Projection: 4th

the 6'6' Housler is a very tall guy. He isn't much a blocker but has great athleticism.

8. Andre Smith (Virginia Tech)

[​IMG]

Projection: 5th

Smith bucks the recent trend of athletic TE's. He is a great blocker. He doesn't have great athleticism but could potentially start but more than likely will be a backup TE.

9. Julius Thomas (Portland St.)

[​IMG]

Projection: 5th

Another basketball guy. He has great athleticism but just isn't much of a blocker. Notice a trend?

10. Schuylar Oordt (Northern Iowa)

[​IMG]

Projection: 6th

Not much a blocker. Great athlete. He has some untapped potential.

2. weak TE depth.

3. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

tolliver at 4? maybe last year he was projected to be a top prospect but imo he falls around the 12-15 range in the rankings and out of lafell, buster davis, bowe, doucet (all the recent LSU wrs) hes the worst prospect imo.

hell of a HS recruit, lived off that hype for a while

4. yeah Man. Toliver is a fantastic player. He played with a terrible QB which killed his numbers.

I don't see how you can say he lived off his HS hype.

I think he is equal with Lafell and better than Buster Davis and Doucet.

5. K Train

i mean buster davis sucks ass, and doucet was a legit late first/second round guy...i think tolliver is a 5th round guy at this point. fantastic isnt how i would decribe him

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Rudolph is going to be an All Pro.

Reminds me alot of Witten

7. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Virgil Green is going to be a steal.

8. If Doucet was a late 1st early 2nd round guy how did he manage to go in the 4th?

why is he only a 5th rounder in your mind?

9. K Train

cause bowe put him to shame in the offseason and projected to the pros better.

he was a 3rd btw iirc

tolliver is a soft WR, he isnt explosive at all, he had a crapty year until the cotton bowl, he doesnt play like hes 6-5, he dosnt have sharp cuts which makes his routes look lazy and with his long stride they look slow and awkward.

im prediciting 6th round for him, i personally wouldnt touch him

10. Bowe and Doucet came out different years.

he isn't explosive?

he's had many 40 yard td's.

he had a crapty year because he had no QB. Jordan Jefferson is a joke and when Jefferson finally did play even half way decent Toliver had a huge game. He also played very well vs. Florida.

I disagree. I think his RR is pretty solid. It doesn't matter what they look like as long as they aren't that way. This guy is being underrated because he doesn't have great numbers.

6th round? That has to be a joke. No WAY he goes that late. Why wouldn't you touch him?

11. K Train

oops, got doucet mixed up with someone...i always liekd doucet though, thought he could be a boldin type of guy.

i really dont think teams are gonna be very high on him come draft day. might take a flyer on him eventually but imo he'll be waiting a while.

his production isnt anywhere near where it should be based on his measurables...the QB argument is ok, but still hes not the redzone threat he should be at 6-5 and just doesnt score many TDs...like 7 in 2 years i believe.

i wouldnt touch him cause i dont think hes that talented, i think there will certainly be a better WR on the board if you need one. not saying hes gonna go undrafted, but WRs with his measurables and HS recruit hype make even bad QBs look good and he didnt do that.

he was one of my top senior prospect in the preseason but in his only year of being "the guy" at LSU he played pretty poorly and went on a free fall

i GUARANTEE 5-10 on your list go before him

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  12. yeah I always liked Doucet as well. You're thinking of Demetrius Byrd. :)

I don't think teams will take him as soon as I would. But I think he will be a 4th rounder.

that's because LSU didn't throw in the redzone. It all goes down to the QB situation.

I disagree. I don't think you realize just how bad Jordan Jefferson is haha.

He didn't play "poorly". Jordan Jefferson was just so bad. He lead the team in every receiving category.

13. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

The WR position is my specialty and I spend most of my time on them. I was a big receiver (6'4") so I am partial to the big receiver b/c i understand the huge advantage they have.
    I like T Tolliver a lot, he will be good in the NFL. He's my #5 WR
    1. aj green 2. j jones 3. Leonard Hankerson 4. g little 5. TT

I AM TRULY TRULY sold on L Hankerson, and at the same time doubtful
    J Baldwin can be a NFL receiver.

My tuffest assesment this year was deciding who I would prefer out of Randall Cobb or Jerrel Jernigan, seems like I switched every few minutes. but Jerrel Jernigan has a bigger upside at slot/r, Randall Cobb might be safer pick tho.

14. K Train

i think the bigger WRs are the most overrated ones...so much more relies on quickness and route running than strait line speed and out being a few inches taller.

HS, college...sure thats easily understood. big WRs are men among boys which is why guys like dwayne jarret, limas sweed, malcolm kelly, james hardy, and even smaller school guys like ramses barden dominate.

imo its rare to find a "big" wr that is actually good, and by big i mean 6-4 to 6-6. most, and most means not all these guys are long striders, lanky, poor route runners, lack quickness, and explosiveness and many more flop than succeed

calvin johnson is a rare exception, but guys like baldwin, tolliver, last years demaryius thomas, and all the guys i mentioned earlier like hardy, sweed, kelly, and jarrett are very recent flops as WRs that made it look easy in college but really just out reached everyone and most of the time just ran down the field with their long butt strides. i can even name more....ashly lelie, reggie williams, ernest wilford, matt jones, and even sydney rice sucked butt before favre

guys like green, jones, calvin, andre, fitz, moss, burress, bowe are special and have a blend of skill that makes them high picks...but the notion that being tall at WR makes you have an extreme advantage is a myth in the pros

to me tolliver=the kind of guy that will flop in the NFL, same with baldwin

15. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

Those guys end up being a bust b/c of there attitude and work ethic not there height.
    The little receivers work out harder, for the most part b/c they know they are at a diadvantage to the other bigger receivers. So u just have to find that same work ethic, and attitude to get better, in a big WR.

I was hoping to hear(or read) some of yall's opinions on: Who will be a better NFL WR? Randall Cobb or Jerrel Jernigan

16. K Train

cobb profiles as a 2 imo, jernigan profiles as a slot/3

i like both players alright...id take cobb at the end of the second, not sure where id peg jernigan.

and its not the work ethic...randy moss and brandon marshall have crapty work ethics and they still do great. its not based soley on their height, but their lack of quickness and long, rounded, slow developing routes and awkwardly slow cuts in and out DOES have something to do with their height. the successful big guys usually run crisp routes and have a lot of natural quickness and explosiveness in and out of cuts meaning they are big but run like little guys. most WRs being 5-10 to 6-1 isnt an accident, and all the big ones that dont flop being among the elite and pro bowlers isnt an accident either. the big wrs that are good are really really good and such rare gifted athletes, most of the rest of them just suck butt though

17. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

I like Cobb in the #2 also, tons of talent, reminds me of M Crabtree. J Jernigan seems like he will be more for the deffense to worry about with the bubble screens and verticals.

You are exactly right about the crisp routes and explosion out of em, and that can be taught up to a point (can't have slow feet). But remember what big wr's
    do, they go up and snatch the ball out the air and give there QB's a bigger target. The big receivers have to be good at blocking the cb out with there body and having good body control when going after the ball.
    The WR coach should be able to teach em up on some routes that best suits that WR, if that does'nt work he's probably lazy or too cocky.

18. I don't think you can stereotype all big WR's all the way into the bust category if they lack elite athleticism like Calvin Johnson.

19. K Train

im not, im saying when it comes to tolliver and baldwin i think they lean more towards the bust column with the dwayne jarretts and malcolm kellys of the world

20. ahhh ok I misunderstood you.