Top 5 2011 QBs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by Lord_Joe, May 25, 2010.

1. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

Since we have a top-5 WR thread, I thought we should discuss QBs as well, seeing as 2011 looks like a great class (on paper and providing they declare).

1) Jake Locker, Washington
    Above average arm strength, great accuracy, incredible mobility and athleticism. Struggled at the beginning with his progressions and decision making, but has steadily improved. Pro-style offense.

2) Andrew Luck, Stanford (Redshirt sophomore in 2009)
    Very productive with his 13TD-4INT ratio, 2575 yards on a 8.9 clip in Stanford's pro-style attack. Has a sweet arm and great accuracy.

3) Christian Ponder, Florida State
    Has decent, but not great arm strength. He is, however, incredibly smart and accurate. Possesses impressive mobility but nothing like Locker. Out produced Luck with 2718 yards, 14 TD (7INT) at 8.2 YPA. His 68.8% completion percentage is excellent, especially at 8.2YPA.

4) Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
    6-7, 238, Massive arm. 3,624 yards, 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 9.0 YPA. Massive upside, but very raw. Terrible decision maker, often relying on arm strength rather than making the correct read. Displays Drew Bledsoe-like mobility (none).

5) Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
    Stanzi is a pro-style quarterback with a strong arm and good size (6-4, 225). Makes questionable throws at times, which led to 15 interceptions. Iowa's game is always in the trenches, but Stanzi has the potential to be a star in the NFL.

2. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Here's my take on Stanzi.... He has the tools to make the throws and makes reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad moves sometimes. He can start a game 0-8 and then go 15 of his next 17 and end up with 270 yards with two picks and have a nice stat line and Iowa fans are having heart attacks all along the way until the 4th quarter and end up with a win.
    Is he a top 5?? Not sure about that. One thing I'll say for him is he has heart and desire to win. He really seems to pick his team up sometimes. maybe he has to make a big blunder to get himself fired up but that won't fly come NFL time. If he ever gets consistent he'll be a top 5 and maybe a top 3 but until then....he's a good qb surrounded by a solid running game and a good defense that's helped save him from some of his blunders.

All that being said, I am glad he plays for Iowa.

3. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

Not top 5 pick dude. Top 5 QB. I have him as a second round prospect.

4. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

didn't mean top 5 pick either. I'm not sure he's a top 5 qb right now. We'll see how this season goes because Iowa will not be a surprise team this year and teams will know better what to look for and expect.

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Locker 4tw

6. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Yeah.,...I think Locker is definitely number 1 right now.

7. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

I think he is. If Luck and Mallett don't declare, he definitely is. In my mind, he's number 3 in that scenario.

8. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Since I'm an Iowa fan Joe....I hope you're right!! :icon_cheesygrin:

9. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

boooo stanzi

no way in hell stanzi is an NFL QB imo and theres zero chance luck declares this year, hed be an idiot to come out

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

and mallet is pretty nimble for such a huge goober

10. falcon_91

falcon_91 Pro Bowler

Luck has never won a game when he has thrown over 25 passes, now im a big hater of the spread for NFL QB but you need to put your team on your back and win of you - not Toby Gerhart before i crown you, or even put him above Mallett.

11. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Jake Locker - Obvious #1
    Ryan Mallet - I only put him up here because once he tears up the combine he will unfortunately for them raise to the top of many boards. For me he is bottom top 10
    Blaine Gabbert - Exploded onto the scene last season and is a protoypical NFL QB that is being overlooked by people in love with Luck
    Andrew Luck - seen a lot of great freshmen turn into crap, but has nice potential, prototypical NFL QB with accuracy and still deserves top 5
    Case Keenum - Smooth, accurate passer with great pocket awareness. He sees the whole field and can move around very well, would have been close to top 5 this year if he came out.

To have stanzi in the top 5 is a joke. stanzi is nowhere near top 5, maybe top 20. Ponder is a possible top 10 guy at best.

Sleeper - Robert Griffin - Highly Rated before ACL injury last year and missed most of 2009, could be a beast, he destroyed it as a Freshman in 2008 passing for 2100 yards 15 TD's and only 3 picks, with another 840 rushing yards and 13 rushing TD's. In his brief 2009 stint, Griffin amassed 481 passing yards (with four touchdowns and no interceptions) while rushing for 77 yards (with two TD's on the ground) while completing 65.2 percent of his passes including 226 total yards 3 passing TD's and no picks in the first half of a game while playing with a torn ACL. Fully healthy, he could easily shoot up the charts.

12. K Train

pat devlin might be another guy to watch, i just think everyone wants deleware to become and QB powerhouse, ill watch him but im not quite buying it

13. imho Locker is the best QB in any draft since Matt Ryan maybe even since Vince Young and Jay Cutler.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

My concern with Devlin is he couldn't beat out Daryl Clark.

14. K Train

stafford and quinn were better prospects than locker imo

15. Quinn hasn't worked out well and while being a UGA fan I want to say Stafford was better but if he was it wouldn't be by much.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  16. K Train

i didnt say he worked out, but he was an elite prospect nonetheless, sooooo much better than russell ever was

17. true you didn't. But I think Locker has a stronger arm and obviously didn't play with the same level of talent Quinn did.

18. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

I'll repost since this got a bit off topic

19. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

I definitely favour arm strength more than you :icon_cool:

I don't think Mallett will "tear it up" at the combine either. He's not very athletic. He'll weigh in well, and show amazing arm strength, but his 40 won't be too hot, and I doubt he even does the jumps or the shuttles.

Gabbert may be a "prototypical" NFL QB to you, but he's not what I look for. He has a stupid name for one. Doesn't zip the ball naturally from his delivery. I've seen him do it, but he alters his motion.

Keenum plays in Houston's spread offense. Zero respect as an NFL player from me. Did great at college though.

Stanzi plays in a pro-style scheme, a simple one, and has a great arm. I like him, but the #5 depends wholly on if he can turn the corner on his bad decision making. If he can't, he'll drop to the 4th or 5th round in my mind.

20. K Train

mallet will blow the combine up very jamarcus russell like....his arm strength is amazing, but his completion percentage is piss poor