Underestimating the San Antonio Spurs

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by SportsChump, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I disagree. Duncan is the driving force on that team. The only player may be as dominant on both sides of the court as Duncan is Garnett, and Garnett wasnt as effective in the post as Duncan.

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

This. Popovich has had the luxury of Tim Duncan but by the same token Duncan has had the luxury of Greg Popovich.

ragman likes this.
  3. smeags

smeags militant geek

i dont disagree with that but he is still not on the same level as those other three.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

not a huge follower of basketball anymore. got burned out on watching every single game every single night during the basketball season when I was locked up. But I grew up watching Bird, Barkley, Jordan, Magic and on to current times. Call me old school or whatever but I feel the best of a basketball has to have a killer instinct. Jordan had it, Bird had it, Magic had it. But it was a different time back then. No way any of them would leave a team to join another to get a ring. But they do now and that is that. I have no problem with them knowing they can't do it alone or with the players they draft. I realize that Magic had Kareem from another team but he was there already. Jordan is the best ever. Then I put up Bird and Magic as co 2a and 2b. Then Lebron. You got to remember that back when the other greats played they played more physical defense. Hardly anyone plays that kind of defense anymore. And it is an offensive league like football. Rules favor the offense and therefor the stats will bear that out. If Jordan was in his prime and in LeBron's spot in Miami, I bet the farm they would have won.

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

As far as legacy goes, Duncan is towards the top all time. As far as individual basketball talent, I wouldn't put him at the top. I love the guy, but he's not at the level of Kobe, Jordan, LeBron, etc.

6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

He was the constant of 5 championships. Just because he is a quiet person who you don't hear about off the court. He reminds me, outward persona wise, Johnny Unitas. Professional.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

agreed. im a big duncan fan as well but he's not up there with them.

that said he has 5 rings and to an old school baseketball fan like myself it was pretty damn cool seeing the spurs win it playing the game the right way.