Veteran TE Robert Royal Interested In Playing For Saints

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Jul 2, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Veteran tight end Robert Royal had his contract terminated by the Cleveland Browns on February 9, and the New Orleans native wouldn't mind playing for his hometown New Orleans Saints, Hunter Paniagua of The Times-Picayune. "Being from here, I'd love to come home and hopefully play at home for one of my years, but that's just me doing wishful thinking," Royal said. "But at the end of the day, I don't mind. An opportunity is an opportunity, and I'll just make the best out of it. So whichever team rings the phone, I'll try and make the best out of it." Royal caught just five passes for 56 yards and a touchdown in 15 games last season, production that the Browns did not think was worth the two years and nearly $5 million remaining on his contract. The Saints have two tight ends signed for 2011 -- 2010 third round pick Jimmy Graham and Tyler Lorenzen -- but are expected to re-sign David Thomas when the 2011 league year begins. New Orleans has frequently carried four tight ends and the 6-foot-4, 255-pound Royal could fill a No. 3, blocking tight end role.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

2. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

3. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

He's not needed. Jimmy Graham is a beast. David Thomas will be re-signed. Sorry, Robert.

4. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I like Robert Royal he just doesnt have a role on this team.

5. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I agree. A few years ago I would jump at the chance. Our tight ends before Payton was lacking to say the least. He reminds me of a more athletic Boo Williams.