Warren Moon Says Criticism Of Auburn QB Cam Newton Racially Based

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Warren Moon, the first African-American quarterback to be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, told CBSSports.com that he believes some of the criticism of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is based in racism. "A lot of the criticism he's receiving is unfortunate and racially based," Moon, who is Newton's adviser, told the website. "I thought we were all past this. I don't see other quarterbacks in the draft being criticized by the media or fans about their smile or called a phony. He's being held to different standards from white quarterbacks. I thought we were past all this stuff about African-American quarterbacks, but I guess we're not. "Of course there is racism in every walk of society. We've made a lot of progress in this country. But racism is still there. I just thought in the sports arena we were beyond it. I think the way Cam is being treated shows we're not." A draft profile in Pro Football Weekly published this week blasted Newton. Under the category of negatives, Newton was described as "very disingenuous -- has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them." The profile also said that Newton "lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness." Nolan Nawrocki, the author of the Pro Football Weekly draft profile, called Moon's take "absurd" in an interview Thursday with ProFootballTalk.com.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
  2. smeags

smeags militant geek

of course and it's definitely racism when any white player gets ripped by everyone and their mother too right warren ?

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Dez has the same problem .....I kid. I kid.

The sad thing is that this kid has put himself.out there to certain extent and many people came away with the same thought

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i really do like newton, i think hes very talented and i like him much more than i liked young or russell....and i believe hes a combination of the 2 of them. but this is so stupid, hes NOT good enough right now to be a top prospect...when you call a college player raw, you understand what that means when you look at newton. Hes a gamechanger, a play maker, and a hell of an athlete/entertainer but i dont get how he can have his posse make him out like hes just simply the answer, a must have solution, one of a kind player.

im saying IF he does fall to the second round he will make someone happy....if he goes top 10, meh im not so sure

basically what im saying is the criticism and ripping apart of newton might not all be true 100% because i dont think hes a bad person and i do think hes talented, but crap like this makes me understand why its happening...its not unfair, theres a lot of truth to it, but thats because i see newton as a late first/early second guy and not a top 3 guy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Warren Moon thought that we were all past this???? He must live in utopia. Racial prejudices are alive and well...wake up Warren

BTW where were ya Warren when Tebow was taking all the crap for his life style, oh that's right it was religiously based not racial, my bad dude...

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

claussen was torched by everyone as well. people didnt like his attitude and questioned his talent.

poor whitey always bein' hated on.

7. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

but smeag, the real pertinent question is, HOW WAS HIS SMILE??? :moe:

8. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

If this was true, where is Josh Freeman's heat? Oh wait, he hasn't got any dislike from the media/fans because he isn't a loud-mouthed, narcissistic butt like Newton.

The dislike for Newton isn't because of his race, it's because he's an butt.

9. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

He's probably not really black, only Moon can spot the "real" blacks in football.

10. Josh Freeman conducts himself very well.

Newton is a mess. Moon is now a joke.

11. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Newton's criticism is based on his overrated hype. He's not what they made him out to be. Now, NFL teams figure it out, he gets blasted and Moon pulls the race card.

It was okay that Tebow was slammed. Okay that Clausen is doubted. They're white. It's okay to pick on the white qbs. But, you mention a black QB in a negative light? Yup. Here comes RACISM. Seriously. Moon thought we were past that? Then STOP TRYING TO PULL THAT CARD EVERY TIME A BLACK QB IS CRITICIZED. Morons.

12. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I love you Warren, but SHUT THE FREAK UP. Mallett is getting as much crap as Newton, Locker is getting beat up more and more everyday, seems like more and more people are losing the love they had for Gabbert...

Newton really is an egotistical, immature kid who is very raw and 'possibly' engaged in some shady crap in the last two years.

That is fact.

13. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

It's only racism when it's towards blacks, when it's towards any other race its constructive criticism.:icon_rolleyes: The race card is so freaking overplayed nowadays that I feel thats its whats keeping racism alive and actually breeding more of it. People are getting sick of hearing that crap and it breeds hate. Nobody is holding anyone back anymore, hell as a minority you have more advantages than most white kids nowadays, tests are dumbed down for minorities, affirmative action etc etc.

14. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

If he was white he'd still be from a 1 read and go spread system and he'd still have baggage. I like Newton alot but people have the right to be skeptical or be reluctant to take him high.

15. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

So we don't like Cam Newton because he hecks white girls and we dont like Ryan Mallett because he snorts white girl. I think the connection is clear.

16. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I've always thought Cam Newton was well spoken...you know for a black guy. :icon_rolleyes:

Warren who da heck is you anyway, fade back into the shadows.

17. Evaporator

Evaporator Rookie

:agreed: he is a butt . moon is also a butt . but when the truth is out they have no other option but to call the racist card . now they are looking for sympathy .

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Josh Freeman is a lighter skinned black man. It wouldn't apply to him.

19. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

Yeah, tebow got praised by every nfl analyst there was.........

april fools. :)

20. Skarecrow7

Skarecrow7 Rookie

You know, before this Warren Moon thing, I though Newton was an butt that was going to flop because of the "I'm an entertainer" comment... now I think he is a Black butthole that is going to flop because of the "I'm an entertainer" comment.