Warren Moon Says Criticism Of Panthers QB Cam Newton Unfounded, Has Racial Undertones

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by SRW, Oct 23, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton has been at the center of a lot of criticism for shaky play and the team’s 1-5 start. But Hall of Fame quarterback and Newton’s mentor, Warren Moon, thinks much of it is unfounded, according to Yahoo! Sports:

“I think a lot of this is because so many people want to say ‘I told you so’ about him, but couldn’t because he was so good last year,†Moon said. “I think people are overreacting. How can he be a bust? He just had one of the great years a rookie has ever had, and now he can’t play? Come on.â€

Moon also alluded to the fact that there were racist undertones to a lot of the comparisons and blame Newton was facing:

“I don’t understand it,†Moon said. “I heard somebody compare him to Vince Young. It’s the same old crap – it’s always a comparison of one black to another black. I get tired of it. I get tired of defending it…. If you want to compare him to someone because of his demeanor, compare him to Jay Cutler. There are a lot of guys who whine and moan. Cam’s not biting anybody’s head off or pushing his linemen. He’s just disgruntled, and not handling losing well, because, think about it, he basically didn’t lose in college.â€

Newton’s numbers are down slightly from his rookie season (231.2 yards per game and a 79.3 rating so far in 2012, 253.2 yards per game and a 84.5 rating in 2011), but the majority of the criticism stems from his emotional reactions.

“Cam’s an emotional player. He needs to learn to saddle that. If I was to talk to him – and I need to give him a call – I would tell him his demeanor’s got to change in the face of adversity.â€

Source: Sports Illustrated

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Can we just move past the racial thing? For hecksake...

3. KISSman

KISSman QB Expert

Yeah, comparing a top draft pick, mobile QB who is now struggling with his passing game after his ProBowl rookie season with another former top draft pick, mobile QB who eventually struggled w/ his passing game after his ProBowl rookie season is TOTALLY based in racism.

4. What a bunch of heckin bullcrap. IDIOT

5. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

why is it that anytime a black QB is criticized, warren moon claims race?

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

maybe the cutler comparision doesnt work warren ole boy <- yes, i called you boy -> because one is an established qb while the other a 2nd year crybaby.

maybe, just maybe you are the racist.

8. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Warren, for the love of god. Do everyone a favor and SHUT THE FREAK UP.

9. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Ok let's compare home to Tim Tebow

There is that better

Timmy gets just as much if not more crap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

moon needs to find something to kill time with since he cant beat his women no more.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Maybe he and Fran Tarkenton should sit down and exchange ideas about nothing.

12. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Some of the First Take crowd concurred with Moon this morning, if that helps.

(It doesn't)

13. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Can we please move past this race bullcrap.

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

whatever it takes to get people to watch that crap show i guess.

15. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Who saw this coming..

16. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

To quote the roast of Flavor Flav, "The fact that he is black is like the 5th thing that's wrong with him"

17. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Cutlers been in the league a bit longer then 2 years............

18. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Not when it is just so damn blatant that everyone in the media is a biggot and they just want to hold the black man down.

I mean all the elite quarterbacks piss and moan like a jr high football player when things aren't going their way.

19. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

It's a shame, too. I actually like Warren. But just when that mother hecker gets back in my good graces, he pulls the race card AGAIN.

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

wow. i really hope you're not an english teacher.